Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ah, OK. Just doing some research. Seems they come with Apex walls, which is good, but no-one seems to want to publish weight.

Saying that, I haven’t tried Next Day…

Alex

If you give Steve a ring, he’ll probably be able to tell you

singlespeedstu

Del – next day tyres have the minion DHF in 3C 2.8. It is ridiculously expensive though at £88. Reluctantly going to order one though as the rekon, although a great tyre, is rubbish when it gets muddy and I’m pretty sure if I leave it until the weather worsens they will be all sold out!

I went through the same thoughts.
    The tyre arrived yesterday and it looks a lot more substantial in the knob department that the Rekon.
    Didn’t seem to roll much slower on it’s first ride out either.
    I’m now trying not to buy a DHR for the rear…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gotama
    Free Member

Anyone know of any DHR 2 stock? I’m off to Rivierabike at the start of November and want something with a bit more bite than the current Rekon rear. My usual Nextdaytyres are out and google is letting me down. The other option is a High Roller 2 rear but I don’t have particularly fond memories of my days on the original high roller, although this will be on the rear with a DHF on the front.

Also any views on plus and Finale trails would be helpful to someone who rides nothing but mud, loam and roots.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’d probably be alright on the loamy trails, but the rockier ones would worry me on plus tyres.

Ask Ady though, he’ll give you a straight answer I’m sure.

muggomagic

You’d probably be alright on the loamy trails, but the rockier ones would worry me on plus tyres.

Think Alex’s maxxis coped alright in Spain and ir_bandito’s did in Alp D’Huez.

Anyone know of any DHR 2 stock?

showing in stock in Bike-components

Gotama
    Free Member

Great, thanks Muggo, forgot about the Germans.

muggomagic

No problem.

I just got excited when I see the Magic Mary Evo ADDIX Soft SnakeSkin Apex listed, only for the crushing disappointment of 20 days or more for stock

Leaving a link here though so I can keep checking
    Magic Mary 27.5 x 2.8

chakaping
    Free Member

Yet I’ve put a hole in one in Wigan.

I expect it depends how fast Gotama’s gonna be riding. The trails at Finale & Molini are quite fast and there are some very rugged bits.

I just got excited when I see the Magic Mary Evo ADDIX Soft SnakeSkin Apex listed

Do report back if you try one. Do you know if “Soft” is similar to Trailstar or softer? I wouldn’t wanna go softer myself.

muggomagic

I think the current crop of plus tyres are as tough (or flimsy) as their slimmer equivalents. Most of the tyre manufacturers have caught on to this now. People were putting holes in tyres long before plus was a thing, so it won’t be going away.

Do you know if “Soft” is similar to Trailstar or softer?

I assume soft is the new trailstar. There is an ultra soft compound in the 2.35 version.

chakaping
    Free Member

We’re of the same opinion here I think Muggo.

If “exo” carcass normal tyres do you for bike holidays then it’ll probably be OK, if you need a tougher carcass then proceed with caution.

Alex

It’s pretty rocky on the trails Ciclo ride… I stuck at WTB Ranger tough carcass on the back and it was beaten up at the end of the week but didn’t tear or deflate. Rekon on the front the same. Friends I was riding with had some issues with 27.5 tyres on narrower rims.

I’ve really had no issues with plus tyres (other than in mud and even I survived three days of that on the trans-cambrian). Maybe you have to ride them harder than I am….

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, I have usually been ok with the Exo carcass in the past but I run reasonably high pressures.

We ride reasonably quickly and aggressively but its not like we’re going to be doing big jumps into rocky sections. Still, its going to be mounted to the back of a tallboy with a 140mm fox 36 dealing with the front end and 100kg on board so whatever happens i’ll be able to give a reasonable reflection on durability when we get back!

Gotama
    Free Member

Edit double post

muggomagic

I agree that we agree Chakaping 🙂
    I’m not sure if we’ll ever see Double down or super gravity type tyres in anything bigger than a 2.6, but I reckon a 2.6 schwalbe probably wouldn’t be that far off a 2.8 maxxis anyway.

Gotama
    Free Member

2.6 schwalbe probably wouldn’t be that far off a 2.8 maxxis

Fair bit lower in sidewall height based on the bit I read on mtbr. Half an inch was stated. A 2.6 Schwalbe with a DH casing did cross my mind but think it will drop the BB too much in my case.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m not sure if we’ll ever see Double down or super gravity type tyres in anything bigger than a 2.6

WTB Bridger, Ranger and Trailblazer are all now available in the ‘Tough’ carcass which is basically the same as SuperGravity. They aren’t doing a full range of compounds in each yet, but you could do a sticky, tough Bridger front and fast tough Ranger/Trailblazer rear for instance. Not suggesting these are idea tyres for every situation, but there is life beyond Schwalbe and Maxxis…

Gotama
    Free Member

The Ranger Tough is tempting for the rear given it’s £37 in 2.8, even if its just used for my trip.

Alex

@gotama. I’d go for it. It’s a beast of a tyre. Not light but takes a proper beating. If you’re anywhere near the FoD, you can have my part worn one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let us know how it goes out there anyway.

FWIW it was a Ranger Tough/Fast I put a hole in on the first or second ride.

Maybe just bad luck, but I don’t think it’s quite the same thickness of carcass as the 2.25in tough Trail Boss (never holed one of these, touch wood).

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe you have to ride them harder than I am….

You’re clearly riding them just right Alex.

I posted in a different thread yesterday about plus tyres, I think they’re amazing on normal woodsy singletrack with roots and the odd rock. And great for trail centres.

Just not quite up to full-speed efforts on rocky trails. But that’s OK, most riders aren’t doing that anyway.

Gotama
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near the FoD, you can have my part worn one.

Appreciate the offer but i’ll sort a new one. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Maxxis casing.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I recently did a week in the alps at the White Room and rode a lot of very rocky trails. The Minion Plus’s were amazing and apart from quite a few visible scratches on the stickers, they came away intact and without any punctures.

I did run them slightly higher than normal at 15/17 psi

mcnultycop

Just ordered a + bike with Nobby Nick/Rocket Ron combo in 2.8 so I’ve read this thread with interest. I’ll see how I get in with them for a few weeks.

BadlyWiredDog

I think the current crop of plus tyres are as tough (or flimsy) as their slimmer equivalents. Most of the tyre manufacturers have caught on to this now. People were putting holes in tyres long before plus was a thing, so it won’t be going away.

I think the issue is more that if you run plus tyres at the sweet spot between traction and comfort, the combination of relatively low pressure and high air volume means they work like a high volume suspension chamber and effectively blow through their ‘travel’ without the ramping up you get with lower volume tyres.

So yes, the carcass may be the same as smaller volume tyres, but it has a harder time of it. You can run more pressure to counteract this, but then you end up losing some of the, erm, pluses of plus. That could be utter rubbish of course, but it’s how it seems to work for me.

The only tyre that’s survived long term in the Peak for me is the Ranger Tough 2.8, though the Rekon + was better than the lighter WTB casings and Schwalbe’s NN and Rocket Rons. The downside is that it’s heavy as a heavy thing and doesn’t use particularly grippy rubber.

One day I’ll finally get round to fitting Pro Core at the rear, though I’m not entirely sure which tyre I’d stick it in, the Rocket Ron maybe,

muggomagic

Ooooo Magic Mary 2.8 showing as in stock in 2-7 days!

Magic Mary

ir_bandito
    Free Member

2.8 Minions were horrid at the Ard Moors this weekend. Pure filthy mud. For once, wanted to go back to 29er wheels with sensible width tyres.

They were awesome in very soggy conditions in the Lakes last weekend though. Give me rock over mud any day.

muggomagic

I’ve seen a few videos and it looked really grim. Not ideal plus tyre conditions, but then again, probably going to be much the same on any wheel/tyre combo.

Alex

Magic Mary 2.8 🙂 If it’s as grippy as the 2.3 it’ll be absolutely brilliant.

I rode my 29er in Exmoor this weekend and did not miss the plus tyres. Wet, steep trails with lots of claggy mud. I’d have been walking down some of them with any of the plus bikes. If ‘Ard moors was like that you have my sympathy!

PolisherMan

Well my “Light” Ranger now has 2 anchovies in it after some Lakes action, and will be retired after it’s first proper ride. The 3″ Nobby Nic on the front was excellent. So now working out what to stick on the back…?

scotroutes

Another 3″ Nobby Nic?

PolisherMan

I reckon so! Would the Rocket Ron have any less sturdy sidewall protection?
    I did like the lack of rolling resistance of the Ranger, but then again we’re of to Zona Zero in Spain this October…

chakaping
    Free Member

Why not a tough ranger?

You want something more knobbly?

PolisherMan

Just ordered a 3″ NNic pacestar apex. Hopefully that’ll stand up to some abuse. Might also make marginal height gains for the Tarn’s low BB…

BadlyWiredDog

The nice man from DPD just delivered a Minion DHF 2.8 which is now sat on the front end of my Transmitter. The Rekon 2.8 has gone on the back. And the Ranger Tough is having a holiday. Oddly it felt somewhat less reassuringly thick-walled when I took it off. Subjectively. Dunno what that’s all about.

All looks reassuringly grippy and Maxxis’esque. That said, I thought the 2.8 NN I was using up front before was pretty good, given that I don’t generally like Schwalbe’s rubber compound on rocks. The plan is to see whether the Rekon+ survives in the Peak. If it flats too easily I’ll stick Pro Core in it and take it from there.

The Ranger Tough does the job, but isn’t the grippiest tyre in the world on softer stuff. Hello leaves, hello sky, hello autumn…

Gotama
    Free Member

The plus size cushcore should be out soon which I think could be just the ticket for the rear.

metalheart
    Free Member

Has anybody used the HR2 in 2.8?

I’m looking for a meatier front tyre for the winter and always got on with HRs.

Also, where are people getting the 2.8 WTB toughs for £38 from? Could do with one for the Sherpa and maybe let me get my bottom two gears into the bargain…. 🙄

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m running a 2.8 HR2 on the rear of my Solaris Max. It’s excellent as is the 2.8 DHF on the front. Both are really grippy.

BadlyWiredDog

Also, where are people getting the 2.8 WTB toughs for £38 from? Could do with one for the Sherpa and maybe let me get my bottom two gears into the bargain….

Google says Sigma Sport, but not in stock. They’re 42 quid at CRC I think.

metalheart
    Free Member

Ok, next question…. 😆

Dual or triple compound?

And why (basically)?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.