Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • jimwah
    Free Member

At 2.6 you’re in the vanguard of the latest niche without having to buy expensive tyres. Result

Haha excellent! Although I think I need to hang it all off a steel frame as long as a farm gate for maximum kudos 😀

BadlyWiredDog

@Alex – so how was the Rekon as a front tyre then? I’ve used one out back and thinking of sticking it on the front now it’s drier instead of a NN.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I am starting to become a fan of WTB tyres

Aye, as long as weights not a huge issue, they are bombproof tyres, I’m definitely a fan.

Alex

I’m a fan. It seems a good hybrid of grip, weight and toughness. I’ve ridden one as a front on my Cotic for six months in the forest, Malverns and trips to BPW and Antur and never felt the urge to swap it fir anything else. Seems reasonably durable as well. Not sure it’s worth the money but it’s the best plus tyre I’ve ridden.

BadlyWiredDog

Ta for that. I actually think that the NN 2.8 is surprisingly good up front, better than the normal-sized versions I’ve tried, but Maxxis has its rubber compounds dialled in a way that ime Schwalbe simply doesn’t. I can feel a tyre-wrestling match coming on…

Alex

Once we’re back from Spain, I’ll switch the Ranger for a NN I think. But leave the Rekon on the front..

muggomagic

Off the back of Alex’s glowing reviews and chatting to Si from Pedal and Spoke on a recent coaching session, I’ve just bought a pair of Rekon+ tyres.
    I’m off to Wales mid May and will be doing a day at BPW so hoping they don’t explode while I’m there, but I’ll make sure I pack the Nobby Nics just in case.

Alex

I hope so too otherwise I’m going to feel terribly guilty about someone spending that much on tyres 😉 I’m taking a spare one to Spain but hopefully it’ll stay in the bag.

I did manage to partially roll the ranger off the rim, Felt it but it didn’t lose air but was flat in the morning and needed a burp on the compressor to reseal the bead. Stuck a bit more air in it now.

After much testing/dicking about I’m pretty much set on 16 in the front and 18 in the rear. You can run them lower and they feel great esp round trail centres, but not worth the risk of a burp/pinch.

muggomagic

Also did you have any issue with plus tyres in the BPW uplifts?

Alex

Nope. Best to get to the front of the trailer tho as they have a couple of wider hoops for fatter tyres. The drivers will move stuff around for you as well so it’s a non issue…

muggomagic

Thank you schwalbe. Just scrolling through their new tyre line up and see there’s a 2.8 Magic Mary apex in soft and speedgrip

Schwalbe

papercutout
    Free Member

Muggomagic – I’ve seen you’re interested in wider 650b+ rims, can’t PM you for some reason. Drop me a message, I’ve got Hugo 52’s on Hope Pro 4’s I’m debating selling.

On topic – I’ve been happy with a Specialized Control casing on the front, but have gone through the sidewall on the rear version. Recently picked up a GRID casing for the rear. I’ve not tried it yet, but they’re generally MUCH better.

muggomagic

Had my 1st ride with the Rekons yesterday. As soon as I got them out of the snazzy little bags I could feel just how much sturdier the Rekons felt. When you hold them, they keep that nice round shape, where the Nobby nics just droop down.

They were super easy to mount and both went up with just a track pump and I didn’t even need to remove the cores. Once I fitted the 1st one I lined it up against the Nobby Nic still on the other wheel. It’s fair to say there is a lot more than 0.2″ between the tyres.

Fair bit of difference in the overall diameter and width

They are mounted on a set of roval 29mm ID rims and the tyre profile looks really good. A lot more like a standard tyre. I think the rims were a bit narrow for the NN.
    I set them up at 18psi rear and 16psi front, which is more than I would usually run in them, but I wanted extra in to cover any potential air loss from bedding them in. I will drop them to 15psi rear and 12psi front which is around the same as I ran the NNs in the dry.
    First thing I noticed was how they felt a lot more like normal size (2.3) tyres. No noticeable squirm and they felt a lot quicker to accelerate. I felt a lot more confident in leaning the bike over too.
    They didn’t have that same kind of monster truck feel that the NNs had, but hopefully that’s down to running them at the higher pressures. If not though I’d be happy to trade that for the other benefits.
    My biggest concern about switching to 2.8s was that the already low BB would end up being too low and I’d be constantly suffering with pedal strikes. It certainly wasn’t an issue on this ride, but I’ll reserve judgement on that until I’ve ridden them in the woods.

I also found a good use for the Maxxis tyre bags too. Peaty would be proud of me.

Alex

Interesting about the ‘not monster truck feel’ on the Rekon. I’d probably agree wit that on a 35mm rim – although it’s not apples for apples as I’m comparing it against a 3.0 trail boss on a 45mm rim – but on my Mojo I prefer that. Comparing that to the Maxxis widetrails I tried on the same rims, it’s certainly a heck more ‘monster-y’ than those so pretty much the sweet spot.

It’s only when I ride my mate’s 29+ do I get the close to fat feeling a a massive tyre on a wide rim.

Be interesting when the 2.6s come out. I’d be worried they’d feel more like the widetrails than a proper chubby.

Oh and a 2.8 Magic Mary? Awesome. that’s next winter sorted then. One of those on the front of the Stache and a dirty wizard on the back and that’d be sorted.

Alex

Oh and we’ll see how the Rekon/Tough Carcass Ranger do in Spain next week. I’ve always been a fan of the Rekon and probably put 1500km on them now across two bikes. The ranger is growing on me, it’s a very shallow tread and I’d had a lot of fun with it losing all traction under my less than finessed braking, but it rolls well and seems to be as tough as advertised.

It’d be absolutely useless in the mud tho!

muggomagic

I was set on using the 29er wheels for BPW but think I’ll be using the b+ wheels with the Rekons now. I prefer the 27.5 wheels as that lower BB feels great when descending and they’re lighter too. I was just put off using them with the 3″ NNs as fast sweeping corners or berms there was this feeling of the bike wobbling around, which was quite disconcerting.
    Definitely grabbing a Magic mary for the front once the trails soften up a bit and maybe a butcher grid rear. It’s great that there’s finally a lot more choice. To think when you started this thread there really were very few options.

Alex

Chubbies at BPW are fab. I took my FlareMax up there and I’ll be taking the Mojo in May sometime. Really suit those trails (well Reds, Blues and Blacks from the middle – I’ve not done the blacks from the top). I did need to put a bit more pressure in tho after burping the rear on one of the reds.

True on tyre choice, still some settling down to do I think. But now Schwalbe are there with the 2.8s I’m hoping there isn’t another industry shift!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

On topic – I’ve been happy with a Specialized Control casing on the front, but have gone through the sidewall on the rear version. Recently picked up a GRID casing for the rear. I’ve not tried it yet, but they’re generally MUCH better.

Are they in country now?

muggomagic

Think the purgatory is available with grid casing now. The butcher and slaughter not here just yet.

papercutout
    Free Member

I don’t think you can get them here yet, it was a guy selling them on here, from his non-UK bike.

tymbian
    Free Member

I have 2 new 3.0 Grid purgatory tyresup for grabs if anyone’s interested. Replaced them with a 2.8 HRII up front and a 2.8 Recon+ on the rear. Looks like the Mary is available from June. Hopefull they’ll be released oin time for my Alps trip in August. Then the HRII will be going on the back and the Mary up front.

papercutout
    Free Member

Any particular reason you swapped the Grid Purgatory out for the Maxxis combo? Going from 3.0 to 2.8 too…

tymbian
    Free Member

I would of had the Maxxis in 3.0 if they did them it’s not about the size.
    It’s a personal thing I suppose. I was never a fan of the Spesh tyres even on my Enduro. The HRII has been an excellent front tyre so far. When I demoed the Levo at cannock I found I couldnt ride hard into the berms entering half way into the turn without the front sliding into the banked bit of the berm. With the spesh tyre on the front I’d have to follow the berm all the way around. With the Maxxis I can enter the corner early, late, high or low without having to think about wheel placement. I like the ‘point and shoot’ attitude of the HRII. One less thing to worry about on the trail. The Recon on the back is the + version of the Ardent which is a good intermediate trail tyre. When the 2.8 Magic Mary comes out in June I’ll probably put the HRII on the rear for an alps trip in August ( if my shoulder heals ) and put the MM on the front.

psycorp
    Free Member

Just swapped out the Light/Fast Bridger on the rear of my Primal for a Tough/Fast Ranger. Having started to ride my plus bike again, now it’s dried up a bit, I was finding the rear too squirmy so thought I’d try the more robust version of the Ranger.

Sidewalls are MUCH thicker on the Ranger. The Ranger 3.0 is also noticeably smaller than the Bridger 3.0, go figure. All in all the weight is about the same between the two.

The Bridger’s both went up tubeless easily on my wheels with just a track pump. The Ranger on the other hand is much looser on the rim, so much so that even my ghetto pop bottle air shot wouldn’t get it seated. I had to put a tube in, inflate to seat the tyre and carefully remove tube leaving one bead still seated to get it to inflate tubeless.

The Ranger gets good reviews as a rear so I’m looking forward to seeing how it feels on tomorrow’s ride.

muggomagic

Alex, How did you get on in Spain?

Alex

Very well. The grip levels are pretty epic out there (except on the really dusty / slidey stuff that no tyre is really going to help!) but in terms of cush/grip/feel I was really happy with the combo. Had no issues whatsoever until the last day when (I think) the rear burped on the trailer and needed pumping up.

A post hols examination showed a scuff in the front tyre but it’s fine and a pretty major ding in the rear rim but tyre held air. The Ranger was looking a bit sorry for itself – tough environment out there for tyres – and as it’s so dry here, I swapped it back out for the NN 2.8.

Wow, what a difference. It’s like having two extra gears. Only been out for a couple of hours and taking it easy as have a partially busted hand but I’m really impressed with the NN on the back. Not sure it’d have lasted much longer than a wine gum out in spain tho!

If the scuff in the front Rekon does turn out to be terminal, I’ll stick the other NN on the front until the slop returns. Going to go to BPW when hand is healed so be interesting to see if it survives a day there.

muggomagic

Off to BPW Friday. I was going to go for the 29er wheels, but really like the rekons so sticking with the plus set up. The BB is definitely lower with the rekons, but it’s just about ok.
    I like the Nobby Nics, and when the Magic Mary is out I think I’ll go for a MM front and 2.8 apex NN rear for autumn/winter riding.

Alex

What bike are you on Muggo? I did a day on my flare max on the Rekon’s and they were great except in my excitement to ride, I forgot to check the pressures and burped the front. Ran them at 18PSI the rest of the day and they were brilliant… it was a very wet day as well…

muggomagic

I’m riding a Stumpjumper. I have found that they need to be ran higher than the NN. I was running the Nics around 12psi front and 14 rear in the dry, where the rekons are up around 16f and 18r. I’ve only had the rekons a few weeks but I’m really impressed with them, they’re more like a super grippy normal tyre.

Alex

I’d agree with that. Kind of a perfect tyre except when it gets really muddy. Should be for the price tho. Ibis supply the Mojo3 with NN and recommend you run them at 16PSI. I’ve not tried any lower and not sure there would be much benefit. I’ll probably run them harder at BPW at least for the first few rns.

Going to be dusty at BPW for you I reckon 🙂

muggomagic

Yep, I put off for ages buying them as I was worried they were going to be too small and didn’t want to take the punt at that price. Glad I did though.

Going to be dusty at BPW for you I reckon

We had brilliant warm sunshine when we went to Afan in October, so I’m expecting it to be cold and wet in May.

chakaping
    Free Member

Quick question – how do you guys rate the relative toughness of the fast/tough Ranger and the snakeskin/apex Nobby Nic?

Finally ready to take the plunge and not sure whether to go Nic front & rear or get a Ranger on the back.

Goldigger
    Free Member

What do the 2.8/3.0 tyres on 27.5+ rims measure in height..? I’m hoping around 740mm, which will be the same as my 26+ 4.0 jumbo Jim’s.

Alex

@ck – the fast ranger I destroyed at Cwmcarn on the first downhill. The tough ranger survived a descent of snowdon and a week in rocky spain without so much as a burp even when I dinked the rim. It’s got a proper sidewall. Heavy tho – took it off and put the NN back on and it was like having two more gears! I’ve not punctured the NN yet, but not heard good thinks about its longevity in rocky terrain…

chakaping
    Free Member

Ordered Ranger rear, NN front – thanks.

muggomagic

I’m after something a bit more aggressive for the front in place of the rekon. Thinking of buying a 2.8 minion DHR2 dual and using it on the front through summer. Then switch it to the rear for Autumn/Winter when hopefully the 3C DHF, Magic Mary or Butcher are available.
    Is a dual DHR2 going to be grippier than a 3C rekon on the front or should I just go for the 3C DHR2?

papercutout
    Free Member

I’ve got my 3.0 Purgatory GRID for sale now, I ended up going back to being 29er – I just found it so much faster, so selling the whole 650b+ setup.

I’m pretty tempted to try it again now it’s properly fast, dry conditions, but in the wet it sucked.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ranger and Nic arrived today.

Impressed with the feel of them, carcasses seem to be the same as the narrower equivalents I usually ride – so feeling optimistic about the sturdiness.

Just need a set of wheels now.

Del

40 scrapers on el guapo boost hubs for 150 on planet x FWIW.

muggomagic

I bought a pair of those wheels. Well pleased with them.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.