Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 27.2 seatpost reccomends that dont bend…
  • cp

I’ve had 3 seat posts now on my 456 and they’ve all bent after a few months – way past the point of being able to slide the post down for steep techy stuff.

so, can folk recommend a 27.2 DIA post that they’ve not had problems with! I’m not exactly heavy at 12 stone…

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve an EA30, an I-Beam and a Thomson in that size that have both done OK on my hardtail (14 odd stone + a lot of extension on the posts).

Only thing I would say that the Thomson and the I-Beam appear to be a tad undersized as they drop into the seat-tube with little resistance.

lowey

Had an EA50 and the bolt snapped. Got a Thomson and never ever had an issue. Great quality.

robbo1234biking

I run a Tioga one that was pretty cheap but never had any problems with it and I’m 16st!

cp

i do have a fair bit of post showing, but i’ve never had a problem on previous bikes. was thinking of trying an easton. One common factor is that all the posts have been slightly on the loose side into the frame.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve bent a lot of posts…

The ones I’ve either not bent or only bent a tiny bit:

Thomson (tiny bend, still slides down ok)
    Race Face XY (tiny bend. No longer available but you can get them 2nd
    hand)
    Syncros Hardcore (tiny bend. No longer available but you can get them 2nd
    hand).

Oh, just realised that I have in fact bent every type of 27.2 I’ve had on mtbs 😳

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

16st and never bent a seatpost on an mtb, so what am i doing wrong?

p.s. thomson for me.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thomson Elite ……end of discussion

clubber
    Free Member

Not riding hard enough (or more likely not making enough mistakes where you land hard on the saddle…)

verses

After the cheapo Bonty one that came with my bike snapped/bent I replaced it with a Thomson Elite and all’s been good since. I’m about 11 to 12 stone but do have a lot of post showing (oo-er).

jackthedog
    Free Member

There are very few areas of bike componentary where there is a definitive best product for everyone concerned.

Seatposts are one of them. And Thomson is – as far as I’m aware – that product.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve bent my Ritchey WCS but not my smica. I’m not generally heavy on kit.

druidh
    Free Member

Watch the Danny MacAskill video. Notice how many times he lands hard on his saddle? Now tell me he’s not riding hard enough.

GW
    Free Member

Druid – what’s that got to do with anything?

Del

maybe a daft question – was one of the posts you bent a twelfty? ( i’d be surprised if it was, just asking ).

cp

none of the posts was a twelfy. I’m struggling to remember them all, but the current one is a Race Face Ride, and the previous was a Ritchey… Before that, there were at least two others.

looking likely it’s going to be splashing out on a Thomson then?!!

messiah
    Free Member

How long do you need?

Thomson seem to have a good reputation but I’ve seen a couple bend/snap… and the one with the bend in it already is a good way to ruin the look of a bike (IMHO… light blue touch paper… stand back).

Thomson were not long enough for me and I’m currently running a Black Spire which is hugely long and so far seems strong. I haven’t bent it in 6 months of use so I’m currently impressed.

Here’s a pic of the bike with a bent ROOX post…

So not much post showing 😆

freakcrab
    Free Member

I’ve managed to break or bend several posts including SDG i-beam, FSA SL220 (both original and warranty replacement), Koski, IRD and an OEM Kalloy.
    Guess 15 stone is hard on seatposts.
    But I’ve had no problems at all with the RaceFace Atlas post (now called the Evolve DH) after 3 years of use, it’s a little cheaper than a Thomson, isn’t as heavy as it sounds but is a little short (350mm).

richc
    Free Member

I used to bend/snap seatposts every 6 months or so, until I got a Thomson, buy cheap buy twice definitely seems to apply with seatposts.

Del

if you can’t stomach the thompson price then try a twelfty if they have ’em in stock. they do 400mm and 350mm IIRC.
    if you land a big jump badly then even the strongest post can bend. thompsons are made with an intentional weaker point, so that they don’t fail in a catastrophic manner, therefore even they will bend if you really get things wrong.
    i’m the same weight as you, but i guess i’m not getting ‘sic air’ or anything, so haven’t bent any posts 🙂
    twelfty and thompson on the mtbs FWIW.

cp

i’ve never done anything other than ‘normal’ trail riding on the 456!

I ride a lot in the peaks though, so maybe the constant battering from rocks isn’t that great… but then, I spend a lot of time with weight off the saddle trying not to get too battered by said rocks!!

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these in 30.0 and it’s survived a lot of abuse –

NC17 Empire Pro

reggiegasket
    Free Member

EA70 here

I suspect you need to have a think about your riding… you shouldn’t be bending posts at 12stone under normal conditions

trail_rat
    Free Member

just dont drive into a low bridge with your masterpiece

another vote for thomsons(elite) here …

CountZero

Control Tech used to do posts with a rib down the centre of the tube to avoid just this problem. I’ve got one that came on my ’93 SuperVee, and it’s a lovely post, just too short to use with my current frames. They are still around, so worth looking for.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘27.2 seatpost reccomends that dont bend…’ is closed to new replies.