Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 27.2mm mtb seat dropper recommendations?
  • t160man
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a decent 27.2mm mtb seat post dropper?
    Cheers
    Gary

martinhutch

How much are you willing to spend?

Decentness seems to be pretty much proportionate to cost IME.

I have a Thomson – so far it is brilliant, but £££

There have been decent write-ups for KSLev, with some question marks on reliability. Also ££.

Gravity Dropper Turbo is rated well, and probably the best of the simple ‘pin’ designs.

xfusion Hilo – seems to have some reliability problems. Binners will be along in a minute to rant about his, probably.

RSP Plummet – had one of these before the Thomson. Night and Day obviously. Lasted a few months, working intermittently before failing catastrophically.

TMars or various similar clones – cheap as chips but be prepared to be taking it apart, cleaning it and putting it back together on a very regular basis.

Various threads on this recently.

edd

I’m selling a Gravity Dropper on eBay here (currently going for a bargain):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181791676432?

Gravity Dropper posts are reliable and easy to service.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Thomson
    Awesome
    Worth the extra pennies

emanuel
    Free Member

I’m running a Gravity dropper. works well. looks, well, you get used to it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a lev. Been perfectly reliable and pretty straightforward to strip down. There’s even a good thread on mtbr about how to strip the cartridge down. Despite regular “lowers” service on mine, the sprag bearing has started to mark the stanchion but at £60 for the cartridge and £25 for bearing Bush and guides, it’s not too bad.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Really like my 27.2 X Fusion HI-Lo, I’ve got one of the later revised ones and I haven’t had to touch it in 12 months after the initial set-up. They’re meant to come ready-to-ride but mine was under pressured.

Northwind

I had a gravity dropper turbo for years, bought it already well used, it never really missed a beat. I’d recommend the turbo over the classic, just a simpler and lighter design, but the classic’s good too. I’d probably get another.

My Tmars was shite, lasted about 4 hours then spoiled a race for me. Also the ebay seller that I used (bikeaholics) never responded to a single email. Full refund via paypal claim but still a load of hassle. YMMV of course.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I recently bought a 27.2 KS Lev – its going back for a full refund.

Firstly, there is no way to top up the air as there is no access to a valve (there is on the larger diameter versions).

Secondly it worked fine on the first ride but seems to have given up the ghost since. Now its very temperamental and either doesn’t come back up, wont go down, stops half way.

The return speed also varies from slow to very very slow and often needs some encouragement to extend back to full height.

I would be interested in an x-fusion as a replacement. Does anyone know if the lever and the remote versions are the same thing? I cant seem to find many lever operated online which would be preferable to me.

(sorry to hijack)

roverpig

I’ve got a Gravity Dropper Turbo sitting in the shed that I keep meaning to sell. It was bombproof, but as ugly as sin. So, being a tart and having bikes with 30.9 and 31.6mm seat tubes now, I went for something prettier. Can’t fault the GD on function though. It did always seem expensive for such a simple design, but then most of the cheap copies seem to be crap, so maybe you get what you pay for.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Tmars was shite, lasted about 4 hours then spoiled a race for me

Specifically what happened to it? (Or did I already ask this..?)

I really want a 27.2 one but I’ve not got much to spend…

Northwind

@roverpig- my email’s in profile if you’re looking to sell that GD 😉

Molgrips- it quickly got stiffer and stiffer to actuate and a bit unreliable/inconsistent, sticking up and down- which got pretty thumb-breaking and made activating and eventually caused the cable to pull out of the (also shite) lever. Don’t actually know what caused it as the seller didn’t respond to any emails but the actuation/lever is very stiff even from new so it didn’t really take much decline before it was unworkable and not much more before it broke itself.

doom_mountain

I have the RSP Plummet. Had it about a year, it’s great for the money.
    After a strip down and new cable it works perfectly.
    It’s annoying you have to do this but it was less than £80.

And it means I can keep my outdated 26″ frame a bit longer.. 😉

roverpig

@roverpig- my email’s in profile if you’re looking to sell that GD

YGM 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

NW did you try and fix it? Do you still have it?

Northwind

I replaced the cable after the race, just out of curiosity and it was still heavy as hell to operate and too much for the lever to deal with. So there were 3 problems I suppose- the basic design being so heavy to operate which makes it all pretty marginal, then whatever fault it was that caused it to get stiffer, and then the lever’s inability to deal with the force needed because of its poor cable clamp.

Sent it back for a refund.

molgrips
    Free Member

TMars is quite a bit lighter than RSP plummet….

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

@roverpig- my email’s in profile if you’re looking to sell that GD

mother******! Northwind’s a bad payer* anyway, so I’ll get it on 2nd dibs

*well probably not, but worth a punt 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘27.2mm mtb seat dropper recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.