Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 27.2 – 27.0 seat post shim anyone?
  • hotgospeller
    Free Member

It would be a shame to ditch my Thompson post when I change my frame – has anyone got a shim this size/know where I can get one?

Cheers

sillyoldman

They don't exist – it would be like tinfoil given that it would have to be 0.1mm thick…

mudsux
    Free Member

make one from a coke can.

hotgospeller
    Free Member

Hmmnnn…

Sorry guys – I've got a 27.o seatpost. Could I just bung it into a frame with a 27.2 hole?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Its fits obviously but a bit slidy up and down 🙂

wwaswas

no, you coudl try and see if you can swap through here.

they all seem to go for about £30-£35 so just sell yours and buy one the right size woudl be my advice.

Woody
    Free Member

As above – you need to swap or buy a new one. Even if you get it to hold by doing up the clamp mega tight, it will still move and probably damage the frame eventually.

timbercombe
    Free Member

Just cut up a coke can and use it as a shim, I've done it before for 30.9 to 31.6mm fine so don't see why this wouldn't work. I'm also going to do it from tomorrow on the new bike (26.8mm to 27.2mm).

Rich_s

Would a can of Fanta be ok?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Not gonna happen, too small a difference to shim with anything, even the thinnest foil, and even if you over tighten the clamp bolt it'll still slip.

If you can't do a straight swap on the classifieds, then sell it, and buy a 27.2, you probably won't loose a penny.

If your 27.0 thomson 'post is silver, 410mm and in-line, then I'll buy it, for whatever a 27.2 off the STW classifieds costs you, provided the seller dosn't see this and take the proverbial … 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

I have wrapped some electrical tape around a 26.6mm post to shim it out to fit a 26.8mm frame before
    Worked a treat although I never really moved post up and down or took it out very often (if ever)
    If you are adjusting height a fair bit I imagine the tape would tear after a while
    (I did it this way because even a coke can was too thick a shim / too fiddly)

pag
    Free Member

A DIY shim can work. I'm currently using a 27.0 post in a 27.2 frame. The shim is from a soft drinks can. The result is a little tighter than usual but I never move it so that's no problem.

gazc
    Free Member

diy shim works, did it on an old frame/post fine if you leave your post in one position all the time. maybe not cool if its a high spec bike tho mind

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Bearing Fit would work

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/loctite-641-bearing-fit-10ml-3142-p.asp

I don't think it would ever come out again though.

iain1775
    Free Member

Bearing Fit would work

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/loctite-641-bearing-fit-10ml-3142-p.asp

I don't think it would ever come out again though.

groans
    another thread managed to mention bearings
    is there no hope….

takisawa2

Would a can of Fanta be ok?

LMFAO 🙂

Class.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘27.2 – 27.0 seat post shim anyone?’ is closed to new replies.