Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 27.0mm dropper post- does such a thing exist?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Hey all,

Does anyone know is such a thing as a 27.0mm dropper post exists?

cheers

jam-bo

27.2 post and some persuasion….

murf
    Free Member

I tried a 27.2 rsp plummet/sorata pro post in my 96 Kona cinder cone and it fit perfectly.
    What bike is it for?

Oh and slightly o/t where have all the Sorata pro posts gone? I want to get another but can’t find any for sale.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its a Rock Lobster frame, maybe about 8 years old, in 853 steel. It was actually the RSP Plummet I was thinking of murf.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’d try that Jambo, but would it definitely work?

jam-bo

0.2 mm is bugger all. I’d be suprised if it didn’t.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got a vague recollection of trying it once years back JB and it being an almost impossible fit!

ajantom

I suspect that forcing it would be a recipe for a jammed seatpost. You might be able to get 0.2mm reamed out of the tube, that’d only be 0.1mm off each side. Try contacting a local frame builder to get some advice.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its a Rock Lobster frame, maybe about 8 years old

27.0?
    I’d have thought that was a 27.2 to be honest. Also, probably the least likely bike I can think of to fit a dropper post – Old school XC bike, that!

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m getting various readings from my less-than-accurate micrometer, PP, and the seat post has no markings on it. So- could be either. Hoping its 27.2.

If I could get an RSP 27.2mm one, I’d buy it just to see. You’re right about the XC aspect 🙂 but its my do it all bike, so needs to get down stuff on occasion. Not essential, just a nice to have.

codybrennan
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

We have a 97 Kona Cindercone, thats a 27.0mm. I’ve tried a 27.2 and there is no chance it’ll go in. Be interested to hear how much it costs to get it reamed as I’ve a box full of 27.2 and only one crappy old 27.0.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t really want to try reaming the frame Spooky, though reaming a seatpost might be a possibility.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve had my 1997 Kona reamed to 27.2. I’ve got an X Fusion Hilo. It’s a good fit and needs liberal amounts of grease but it’s possible. I got it done by Northwest MTB in Manchester for about £20.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Cheers Wozza. I might just do this…..Kona looks great btw.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a 27.2mm Forca one (build quality is shocking, but there is little choice at 27.2mm.) My bike is actually 30.0mm so I use this shimmed, there’s no 30.0 ones either.
    Anyway, another problem I’ve had with it is that it is quite loose, I suspect that the post is slightly undersized rather than the shim being at fault as I’ve tried two shims, it;s not the frame either as that was perfect with a conventional 30.0 post in it.
    Anyway, point is a 27.2mm Forca one appears to be under-size and might fit.
    If you are local to South Lincolnshire you are welcome to try mine

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks andrew, v kind of you- I’m considerably further north in Central Scotland, but I appreciate the offer.

Wozza
    Free Member

Thanks. It’s worth doing in my opinion. My other bike is an Intense Tracer and they couldn’t be more different. If i’m honest the tracer is a much better bike, infinitely more capable up and down, but having the dropper on the Kona makes it much more friendly to a few hours after work when you’re trying to beat the sunset.

murf
    Free Member

I’m just south of Inverness, you can try my post if your ever up this way? I go to Edinburgh for work every 6 weeks or so and tend to take my bike too so you could have a try if your anywhere route down.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I might just take you up on that murf. Cheers!

murf
    Free Member

Wozza, is that deffo a 97? It has the same decals as my 96 and I seemed to remember they cahanged graphics for the 97 models before switching to alu for 1998?
    Looks great regardless, planning on a rear disc for mine eventually but my rear magura refuses to die!

Wozza
    Free Member

From what I remember when I got it, it all matches up to a 1997, I think the decals are the wrong year.

burko73

That kona looks good. Did you retro fit the rear disk mount then and remove the canti posts? Or we’re they standard? My retro bike timeline in my head is not quite working looking at that kona. Looks good.

Wozza
    Free Member

Didn’t mean to thread hijack OP!

Yeah, I bought it with the work already done, but it’s had a trip to argos to weld the disk mount in and take out the canti studs. It’s a great job, you wouldn’t be able to tell even if you’re looking for it. I then got it reamed to take the 27.2 post.

andycs

Ice lift v8. £120.

faustus

I had the same frame as you, and for years thought it was 27.0, so it must have happened to a few frames – but it is actually 27.2! After struggling to find 27.0 seatposts, I gently opened up the tube to accept a 27.2, but it was tight.

letmetalktomark

I have to say that I would have put the RL as having a 27.2 post.

That said several models of Konas 95 ~ 97ish took 27 and 27.2 posts. My 99 Caldera is most definitely 27.0 dead.

As above may be worth opening up the ST a little and gently trying a 27.2 post

I spoke to Argos about getting it reamed and they seemed happy there would be enough material left.

Mine:

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve went for one of those TMARS ones, 27.2. Same as the Ice Lift and GD. Should get on Wednesday. Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers all, interesting as usual!

bigrich

get a hite-rite

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘27.0mm dropper post- does such a thing exist?’ is closed to new replies.