Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 27+ Winter tyres
  • z1ppy

Yeah I’ve seen the threads saying there rubbish in the mud, but ppl must still be riding right? So what you running in the mud?
    Would 2.4/2.5 work ok on a 40mm (outer) rim? Though I’m going to try fitting some spare 29er wheel, but I know they won’t necessarily fit.
    This is for a m8 running a Marin pine mtn

scotroutes

I’m using 3″ Nobby Nic- night day compared to the FatBnimbles I had before.

I do have a set of 29er wheels too but they usually have a lighter/faster setup aimed at mixed road/off-road trips.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I run a 3C Rekon on the front and have just put the dual compound version on the back. Initial impressions are that they cope with mud as good as any other non-mud specific tyre (it’s a nice, open pattern that sheds mud well) whilst being better at everything else. They’re expensive but IMO they’re worth it.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Saw someone else say MKII 2.4 worked pretty well which i can quite beleive – i have a set so they are my plan once it gets proper muddy here.
    Shorty 2.5WT is probably going to be the best option.
    Maybe the HR2 2.8 if you can get hold of one?

Northwind

Someone suggested the WTB Convict 2.5, obviously it’ll be smaller than a plus tyre though. (way I see it, if I could get away with such a small tyre, it’d mean my BB was too high all the rest of the time… But hmmv)

Really depends on your mud and what you want to do in it- perfect example is Scotroutes’ Nobby Nic because it’s my old Nobby Nic! And I thought it was absolute **** in the mud, but he’s getting on well with it.

letmetalktomark

3″ NN user here.

They clear well and are wearing well.

nixie

Muds tyres, **** that. Too much hassle to change them. Still using wtb bridger front and trailblazer rear. It’s only deep mud I’ve lost traction in (never though mud tyres did much better in this). There are so many wet roots in trails around here I much prefer fat grippy tyres to skinny kid ones.

rOcKeTdOg

29er mud x 😉

Chubby back on for spring

sv

The bridger looks good, I went for the less aggressive Trail Boss with a Ranger rear. Just need the wheels to arrive now…

nemesis
    Free Member

Purgatory 3.0 at the front, NN 2.8 at the back

I’ve been very happy with them in mud.

FWIW, I have another 3.0 purgatory for sale (too wide for the rear of mine). Email me if interested

ir_bandito
    Free Member

2.8 NN seem ok with my local mud so far. That said, it’s been a relatively dry winter and not as muddy as previous years.
    Equally, my 3″ Dirt Wizards on my 29+ work well too.

Both slide around a bit, but that’s half the fun.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I was rating my 3.0 NN’s, but after the permafrost melted last weekend, the top layer of slime is impossible to get any grip on, not sure any other tyres would be better though

clubby

Rekon + or Dirt Wizards. Dirt Wizard better for mud, but Rekon better most of the time. Been quite happy on the Rekons so far this winter.

scotroutes

Really depends on your mud and what you want to do in it- perfect example is Scotroutes’ Nobby Nic because it’s my old Nobby Nic! And I thought it was absolute **** in the mud, but he’s getting on well with it.

I’ve been saying this repeatedly on all the Plus threads (and true of Fat too). Folk are too quick to assume that their riding/conditions are the same as everyone else.

Northwind

It should be obvious tbh but everyone always assesses things around their own riding and nobody ever admits it. That’s why when people talk about “one bike to do everything” some people will say “a rigid singlespeed” or “a 170mm enduro bike”, they’re only talking about their everything.

TBH for this it’s also “what is a winter tyre”. If it’s just a tyre, that you use in winter, that’s different from “job specific muddy field slogger” like a Mud X or “#enduro vertical mud death” like a shorty or dh mud like a wetscream… Or bikepacking floating over peatpogs on a fatbike…

So I’m pretty happy saying, for the latter, the Nic is absolutely **** all use, and tbh I think for plus atm probably none are actually good, it’s just different degrees of bad. For the others I have no clue because I don’t do it.

muggomagic

I’m running 3.0 Nobby Nics trailstar front and pacestar rear and have been since the summer. They are very good. Have used them in everything from Welsh trail centre rides, on South Downs chalk when both wet and dry and on both dusty and very muddy woodland singletrack with no issues at all.

Northwind

Crap, I edited my own post and now it makes no sense. I meant to say “for the #enduro stuff it’s **** all use”. Dur.

wilbert

My WTB Trail Boss 3.0 (front) and Trailblazer 2.8 (rear) are pretty useless in the mud – and they are falling apart after a handful of rides… The sidewalls are totally failing, especially on the Trailblazer.

I was considering Nobby Nic on the front and Rocket Ron on the rear, as inspired by Shand. Or possibly NN front and back during winter.

Would be really stretching the budget for Rekon or Dirt Wizard (if I could even find them).

Alex

Rekon’s F&R on my flare max. Chronicle/Bridger on my Stache. Both sets are amusingly useless when the mud does the ‘tyre filling’ thing. Otherwise they’re okay. I’d say the ‘best’ of them is the Bridger 3.0. Might try it on the front.

When it gets horrible tho I do a RD and switch to 29 and Minions. Not muds. I quite like all that sliding about.

birdage

I took a 2.8 NN off and put on a Beaver on as they work so well on the 29er. Sidewall is thin though, stupidly didn’t get the EXO version. Going to put the NN back on at the first puncture after reading this thread. It sort of looks like a mud tyre in a way that they narrow width ones don’t and it went fine through the only bit of mud it dealt with.

madxela
    Free Member

3″ NN’s on my marin pine mountain, absolute hoot, gets a lot further than all the other bikes in the thursday night gang in the slop! Best bike buy ever! 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘27+ Winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.