Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 27" Tyres on 700C wheels?
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I found an old road bike at the tip over the weekend and I'm trying to identify the wheelsize. Measuring and comparing to my 700c bikes wasn't conclusive.

The tyres are definitely 27" as it says so on the side walls, the problem is the brakes are too high to reach the rims which would suggest 700c wheels in a 27" frame.

So the question is will 27" tyres fit on 700c rims?

Some pictures to try and show what I mean:

cynic-al
    Free Member

So the question is will 27" tyres fit on 700c rims?

No, never.

trail_rat
    Free Member

picures didnt work – but sounds like short drop brakes in a longdrop frame ….

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

excellent thanks,

so now the question is why the chuff will the brake blocks not get anywhere near the rims even on the lowest adjustment?

BigJohn

Take it back. Anything else will just result in misery.

Mrs BigJohn's pub bike is an old German 700c bike and it's tyres are marked 28". So you won't be able to get a bigger wheel. In fact this leads to my favourite bike fact: 28" wheels are the same size as 29", but 27" are bigger.

Macavity
    Free Member

Wrong brakes.
    Need different calipers deep drop something like 47 – 57mm drop.
    Instead of 39 – 45mm approx.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Thanks, assuming you measure the drop from the bolt, I've just nipped to the garage and they seem to be 47-57mm fitted.

Think I could need something like the the Dia Compe BA750 Centre Pull Brake on Charlie the Bike Mongers site, though without the centre pull bit, they are 62-78mm.

Cheers, Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘27" Tyres on 700C wheels?’ is closed to new replies.