Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 27" Monitors for retouching/digital work
  • coogan
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations for new 27″ monitors. Run a studio of five in an ad agency and it’s my budgets time of year.

We do lots of high end retouching, illustration and digital work so want to know what other folk recommend. Been looking/reading at loads on line, but be good to hear some feedback from what people using them actually say.

Cheers!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Eizo CG class. I’m using an older 24in CG241 and it’s great for retouching on and I like how very subtle colour changes in CS are easily visible. If you are doing print work then the controllable luminosity and contrast ratio and soft proofing features shoul help your colour accuracy no end.
    I would avoid the NEC high end monitors as for some reason in Europe they make you pay extra for the software.
    I would also steer clear of retina type screens to retouch on as at 100% view the details are too small to work on and it’s difficult to judge image sharpness, you have to go to 200% on a higher dot pitch screen to get the same size and then it’s interpolating not pixel per pixel (screen to print)

So many designers sit in a white room with an over contrasty iMac cranked up to max brightness, they don’t have the full Adobe 1998 gamut and they should be at 120 ft candles/m squared brightness, if you care about colour use a proper monitor!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

For similar use although 80% of my time is illustration now, we’ve bought the most recent 27″ thunderbolt displays, can’t fault them but they are expensive RRP circa £750, I think.

Also used the most recent Samsung (can check model number on Monday) connected via HDMI but it’s not a patch on the apple, but then it was also £300.

I would also steer clear of retina type screens to retouch on as at 100% view the details are too small to work on and it’s difficult to judge image sharpness, you have to go to 200% on a higher dot pitch screen to get the same size and then it’s interpolating not pixel per pixel (screen to print)

This is a pain in the arse^ only downside

coogan
    Free Member

Thanks for that. That’s interesting regarding the retina type screens. Will make as note of that.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

the web designer and retouching designers in my studio moan about the way ps resizes the zoom in retinas too.

MrSmith knows his stuff on such matters, his advice will be good. We had Eizo CG in my old place which was more photography orientated than illustrative.

CountZero

So many designers sit in a white room with an over contrasty iMac cranked up to max brightness, they don’t have the full Adobe 1998 gamut and they should be at 120 ft candles/m squared brightness, if you care about colour use a proper monitor!
    King-ocelot – Member
    For similar use although 80% of my time is illustration now, we’ve bought the most recent 27″ thunderbolt displays, can’t fault them but they are expensive RRP circa £750, I think.

Back when I used to do retouching for print, (ah, those were the days!), I used to work in what was previously a darkroom, with a completely neutral grey background on my monitor, which was a 21″ CRT, the name of which escapes me, but cost £2500, so I’m rather amused at £750 being seen as expensive for a professional standard monitor! 😀

bungle

Go Bigger? 32″ monitor at 2560 x 1440. Same DPI as my previous 24″. I have one of these
    https://www.alza.co.uk/32-benq-bl3200pt-d1529260.htm?kampan=adeupla-uk_produkty_monitory&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KEQjwj_SvBRC7k4DfkLHiuMABEiQAvPOaqfn88hO_rLQXwvuCRyPXuN-aaNaoPauxxNaZz608lk8aAp5A8P8HAQ

Link is 1st from Google search, may find cheaper.

coogan
    Free Member

Don’t want to go that big. We have an older Apple one that’s 30″ and everyone hated it. I always wanted to push it back about a foot more, but the desks weren’t deep enough! Have a 27″ iMac at home, and it’s great size. We also use secondary monitors at work too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

There is the CS class below the CG but the panel uniformity is not as good and I don’t think the monoitor bypasses the graphics card in the same way as a CG.
    That expensive CRT monitor was probably either a Barco or Sony artisan.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘27" Monitors for retouching/digital work’ is closed to new replies.