Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2.7 minions on Arch EX
  • RicB

Has anyone tried this combination? Was chatting to a very helpful guy in the lbs who said he swears by the 2.7s but then he has DH rims. It’s for the front – I’ll have 2.5s on the back

I prefer to run tyres at 20psi ish tubeless so I’m thinking this might be a bit squirmy on Arch EXs?

Forks are fusion slants so no problems with clearance

Edit – should probably clarify this is for a week of uplift in the alps, not for trail centres!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Didn’t even know there were 2.7s !

I run 2.35 old minions on my Arch EX and they’re fine tubeless around 20psi-ish (for someone 11stone-ish).

For Alps on my bouncy bike I’ve got 2.4 & 2.5 Minion & HR2 EXO (I forget which is which size, but they measure up about the same). Works great. Not Stans rims though. That’s on CB Iodines.

I wouldn’t take Arch EX for the alps myself unless it’s fairly tame stuff, and a 2.7 I’d expect to blow off on anything big or just not seat at all anyway. I’d go Flows for that stuff, but still 2.5 max is probably fine.

p.s. what’s the deal with larger up front than rear? Genuine question as I don’t really know but I often see people run that way round. If you look at race cars, some big motorbikes, it’s either same front back or small front & big rear, but not other way round.

Northwind

Being an old Maxxis the 2.7 is really a 2.5, if that makes any difference to your thinking. I’ve only tried the 2.7 highroller, which is, well, it’s a big highroller- tbh I didn’t find the extra size/grip that useful most of the time except while screwing up horribly (I used it for a couple of years in the fort william endurance dh and it was ace for that once my brain stopped working and I started braking like a fanny). I reckon the cornering grip was much the same as the 2.5. Not sure if htis is useful for the Minion…

@deadkenny, basically different uses, on pushbikes the front wheel does more work, the usefulness of the rear wheel’s limited by weight transfer not by size… meanwhile on a motorbike you’re trying to put down a lot more power, and you’re trying to reduce the weight of the steered wheel since it’s spinning so much faster.

RicB

More grip on the front – motorised vehicles need a bigger contact patch to get the power down. My 0.4bhp legs aren’t exactly a v8!

Thanks for the info – I’m thinking 2.5s are probably best. I’ve run those rims at Antur and they were fine so I think they’ll be ok (I’m only 10.5st)

RicB

Northwind – you’ve mentioned running spesh Butchers on stw before. How do you find them? Ideally I’d run the SX carcass but they don’t seem to be available in the UK. Butcher DH seems sturdy but not available in a super tacky compound. Clutch SX is another option…

Northwind

Oh god, people listen to what I say 😆 They’re all basically the same thing- a better Minion but without all the choice. Good heavy use allrounders, they do everything but really bad mud, and dust/sand.

I really rate the butcher control as a rear but it’s not tough- tough enough for me, I’m not a tyre ripper. For me it’d probably be OK for the alps or uk uplift (I use them for enduro racing a lot, my go to back tyre) but wouldn’t be my choice, and I’ve gone off it on the front, bit too hard.

The SX like you say is hard to find, I got a couple used as they come on some new bikes. Good though. Tough enough for me, I used them on the dh bike for a long time. Could be stickier but, sticky enough.

The Butcher dh only comes in a supertacky- 42a top on a harder base. TBH, I can’t judge these fairly because the SX is tough enough for me so dualplies felt mostly like extra weight I didn’t need, but they did work well, good grip, stable. I’m not really the right guy to recommend proper dh tyres…

Clutch… Tried ’em, didn’t really get on, they might be better on dry stuff than the butcher maybe but for everything else I’d choose the butcher.

RicB

I find you one of the saner stw regulars. Not sure if that’s a compliment or insult though!

I’ve run a purg control on the back but Antur destroyed it. Will be getting a grid version next time but i still don’t think that’s enough for the alps. Pugs are bit sketchy on the front but very good on the back.

I run a wtb vigilante on the front for UK and it’s fantastic. Needs to be run a little softer than a purg; about 25psi for me but it grips well and sidewalls are very tough. Wears well too. It gripped on a very snowy/icy/wet descent of cavedale (limestone) in the peaks on sunday, which was nice as I expected to die to death most of the way down the steep bit!

Northwind

Interesting that, I’d like a go of one of those.

(I didn’t get much use out of the purg, found it barely faster than the butcher and miles less grippy. Not bad mind but I couldn’t figure out what it was for)

SirHC

For DH riding, you wont need anything bigger than a 2.5, yes Maxxis size up a bit smaller than the competition, the knobbles tend to stay on a lot longer than the competition which is a bonus!

As far as the strength of the arches, a lot of it is down the to rider and the pressures you run. Last year it rained for the two weeks I was there, was on Maxxis shorties for 10 out of the 13 days, was running low pressures and the 721’s on my dh bike are full of dings (not a single pinch flat…), you live and learn.
    If I was riding my Trance in the Mega, I’d be running higher pressures than I would normally to give the rims a bit more protection.

james
    Free Member

“I wouldn’t take Arch EX for the alps myself unless it’s fairly tame stuff”
    They’ll be fine ime
    So long as you don’t land them hard really sideways with very dodgy spoke tensions, or land in a rock garden just after pinchflatting from using tyres too tight for the rim so they’ll won’t stay seated with inappropriate tyre pressures for poor tubes. You know stuff that’d likely kill other rims too

2.7″ maxxis won’t be very much bigger than a 2.4″ Schwalbe Fat Albert, and I’ve run mine on arch EX’s for a year or so. I don’t think they’re too big. I got archEX’s after troubles with finding anything bigger than a schwalbe 2.25″ on a Mavic XM719 being a bit squirmy and pinchflatty

Remember because of the BST2 low wall of the archEX (and flowEX, crest etc) Stans claim the internal width (21mm) is equivalent of around a 25mm rim with ‘normal’ height rim walls

smatkins1
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I put a 2.7 minion on the front and 2.5 on the back on my flow ex last year in the alps. It worked well and I’ll be running the same this year. The 2.7 was a bit overkill though, but I liked it!

Even as a modest 2.7, putting it on a arch might cross the line of being great to too wide for the rim. I would stick to a 2.5 on the front, super tacky of course though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2.7 minions on Arch EX’ is closed to new replies.