Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 26er single speed frame recommendations please!
  • lheadhunter
    Free Member

New to the forum so hello everyone and thanks in advance for any advice!

Looking at upgrading my current Giant XTC frame to something a little more chuckable, fun and most importantly single speed compatible (although would be good to have sliding/swap out capabilities also). Trying to keep the spend under £200, possibly going to be looking 2nd hand.

Been looking for a while and the obvious target seems to be a On-One Scandal with the swap-out dropouts, but not 100% convinced.

Can anyone suggest an alternative frame to the Scandal?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

wwaswas

Buy my Decade Virsa 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/frames-kinesis-cotic-forks-maverick-wheels-hope-and-shimano

Monday special offer: £150 posted and I’ll throw in the headset and a seatclamp. Also has the geared dropouts with it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

To be fair the on-ones are hard to beat.

Surly’s 1×1 is a good option also.

Second hand you may find a salsa al a carte which is a great ride.

Anthony
    Free Member

Scandal chuckable and fun? Aren’t they a racey frameset?

That Kenesis sounds perfect tbh.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

2011 Sanchez
    2012 Sanchez
    My SS frame;

Cove Sanchez
    Depends what you mean my chuckable, tough yes, light no.

For XC I just put a really tall seat post in and some SPDs. It’s more designed with ‘fun’ stuff in mind, not competitive.

It has a rear mech’ hanger, horizontal drop-outs. £110 if you get the Red frame (2011) – a little less DJ and more XC (kind of)

or

£170 for the 2012 frames which are a little more DJ and less XC

But they both are designed to be DJ frames.

lheadhunter
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, some good options.

@wwaswas The kinesis looks ideal – if you still have by payday (Thurs) then I will almost certainly take it off your hands!

Cheezpleez

Don’t think you can get a 26in Scandal with swapouts at the mo. I wouldn’t describe the 29in version as especially chuckable. You won’t go far wrong with a 26in slot dropout Inbred. Very versatile, pretty tough and cheap as chips.

donks
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a fire eye flame off CRC cheap as chips which runs a long fork and should be pretty versatile. Also had the kinesis and it was great.

mattjg
    Free Member

I have one of these, it’s stripped at the mo but I defo came out on the L side

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/love-hate.php

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

I’ve got a few singlespeed frames for sale.

Evil Faction (long).

Cove Sanchez.

Genesis IO (17.5 seat tube/medium).

Email in profile for more inf, pics and whatnot.

bigblackshed

Sanderson Soloist. Mines great with 120mm Revs. The EBB works a treat. I’m still trying to get the “engineered” mech hanger to work with a clutch mech. Easier option would be an Alfine.

lheadhunter
    Free Member

Excellent work everyone.

So I have basically been able to narrow it down to the following:-

Genesis IO
    Kinesis Virsa
    Voodoo Wanga
    On One Scandal

Anyone got any opinions/experience of which one is bestest out of this list?

wwaswas

my one 🙂

lheadhunter
    Free Member

well yes wwaswas, obvs.

wwaswas

I’ll stop now.

p7rich
    Free Member

On One Whippet? Love my SS Whippet 🙂

backinireland
    Free Member

I have the whippet too, very nice bike and ideal light ss
    its supposed to be similar geometry to scandal
    more xc racer than chuckable bike tho

mikehopkins
    Free Member

I vote Genesis IO

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve has On One, Surly and Genesis. I still have and love the On One (Inbred) the Surly, heavy but will probably out last me and the Genesis, I didn’t like it, it felt wooden to me, long gone…

velocipede
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the older Whyte 19′ s with sliding style dropouts – I’d sell for a mere £120 posted if you’re interested? email in profile is best way to get in touch 🙂

p7rich
    Free Member

Inbred & Whippet exactly same geo – just one’s carbon and one’s steel. Think Scandal may be exactly same too but alu?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘26er single speed frame recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.