Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 260 years to decide a Byway …
  • neilthewheel

…and still no result.
    I refer to various roads at Hamsterley/Wolsingham in Co. Durham which were created under Inclosures Acts in the 1760s and which have never been opened for access.
    The landowners have fought tooth and nail despite the council agreeing that the Acts of Parliament were cast iron proof of rights of way. In the end the council has caved in, claiming it would cost too much to continue the legal process.
    What really galls is that the very same Acts of Parliament put the land in private ownership in the first place! As far as I know, the landowners are not planning to ask for that part of the legislation to be overruled…
    On the positive side, the Council claims it has reached agreement for dedication of access over some of the routes.

igm

Get a a mass (non) trespass organised. Let them try an take you to court and the burden of proof will be on them.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry. In 2026 the maps will be capped so nothing will happen after that. You have no hope ! 🙄

neilthewheel

Get a a mass (non) trespass organised. Let them try an take you to court and the burden of proof will be on them.

I like that idea very much.

CrispyCSW

Any links to show where these routes would/ should be? Quite interested in the historic access Weardale, as there seems to be a dearth of bridleways.

On a related note do you know if there has ever been an attempt to reclassify the meeting of the grains footpath as it’s a bridleway on the forest side of the parish boundary, and looks like it used to be a bridleway on historic maps?

neilthewheel

On a related note do you know if there has ever been an attempt to reclassify the meeting of the grains footpath as it’s a bridleway on the forest side of the parish boundary, and looks like it used to be a bridleway on historic maps?

Ha- I spoke to the RoW officer about this who kinda begged me not to start that one, but I am very tempted. Of course it’s a BW! Anyway – she said “just ride it anyway….”

Here is a map from Durham County Council:
    http://democracy.durham.gov.uk/documents/s1510/2%20Pikestone%20Lane%2015%20Feb%202011%203.pdf

And here’s another
    http://democracy.durham.gov.uk/documents/s1509/1%20Middleton%20Lane%2015%20Feb%202011.pdf

billyboy
    Free Member

Sometimes getting public access has more than one side to it. It is not always ALL GOOD.

My local parish council have been trying for 9 years to force a right of way across various of my neighbours’ privately owned properties under various pretexts. It just so happens that the chair of the council owns land next to this property and needs a public right of way next to it in order to develope this land. Previous attempts to develope her land have floundered because(in part) of a lack of such access.

It might on one level be good if the properties involved were opened up for purely public access purposes….
    BUT…..
    talking as someone who has been threatened by these nausious corrupt bastards several times for pointing out the obvious connection between their public office and possible private gain….the project can GO TO HELL.

Sometimes it is not as simple as it seems!

billyboy
    Free Member

Sometimes a quaint old Cumbrian village ain’t as quaint as it seems.

Sometimes the British political system is just shiite.

The ‘checks’ are cheques for the big boys and the ‘balances’ are their ‘bank balances’ which are the only beneficiaries.

CrispyCSW

just ride it anyway..

I do :-), but I also know quite a few people who won’t either through a misplaced sense of right and wrong, or through having previously had run in’s with the aggressive land manager.

Do you know where the old BW went after the meeting of the grains? Was it east towards the Forest or north towards the weardale way(or both)?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@biilboy – BINGO ! It’s so often about access for development

A friend of mines parent who was on planning committee of local authority was found guilty of taking payments from developers in return for granting applications …

Don’t be threatened, keep pushing

neilthewheel

crispy – it’s a good question and I don’t have the answer. old OS maps aren’t much help. The ROW officer seems to think the answers would lie in Inclosure Awards.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘260 years to decide a Byway …’ is closed to new replies.