Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 26" wheelsets are a 'con' ?? (Bikeradar bike group review)
  • mrdestructo

Bikaradar best MTB ‘under $1000’

Cannondale Trail SL 3

Cons: Small-diameter wheels, disappointingly narrow tires

26″ wheelsets are now being seen as a ‘con” for $1000 MTB range bikes? When did this happen? Did I go to sleep like Rip Van Winkle and wake up in a world of flying cars, teleportation using the mind and no obesity problem?

mrmo
    Free Member

and next year 29ers will be a con, lack of spares etc. It will all be 650b.

To say it is a scam is a bit much, but some mags seem to exist to push the next fad that the manufacturers have created. Not so much is there a need, but how do we sell what we have.

br
    Free Member

Its a US website.

ratherbeintobago

Its a US website.

Owned by Future Publishing and based in Bath?

Andy

_tom_
    Free Member

Current mtb mag trends are a load of bollocks. No problems riding 26″ and 20″ wheels here!

reevil
    Free Member

I suspect that by “con”they mean negative point, as in “pros and cons”, not con as in scam.

It’s a sad day though, when a 26″ wheel is considered a bad point on a bike.

z1ppy

Article:

Best mountain bikes under $1,000
    By BikeRadar US staff

Strange how they decided to review the 26-er at all, when a 29-er SL3 is also available.

Rio

As the only 26er bike on test, the Cannondale benefited from the nimblest handling feel and quickest acceleration.

It does make you wonder what people are looking for in a bike if it’s not this.

mattjg
    Free Member

+1 Rio

grum
    Free Member

As the only 26er bike on test, the Cannondale benefited from the nimblest handling feel and quickest acceleration.

That would seem to show that 26″ wheels are an advantage not a disadvantage, unless you’re racing I suppose and small advantages in overall speed are important

crankbreaker

16″ is the way forward! [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqS9DE_O79g[/video]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

16″ is the way forward!

no bromptons on there!

Sandwich

16″ is the way forward!

Anyone else thinking of Krusty on his clown cycle?

mamadirt
    Free Member

No problems riding 26″ and 20″ wheels here!

Indeed, in fact I’d really struggle to get my leg over a 29er 😆

That NZ clip is absolute class! I’m off up the woods now on my BMX 😛

irc

Is the con not the fact that manufacturers use the same size wheels on bikes for the full range of heights from below 5ft to well over 6 ft?

Surely 26ers are better for small riders, 29ers have advantages for tall riders and average riders can use both.

Matt24k
    Free Member

That NZ clip also reminds me of these:

kelvin

Cons: Small-diameter wheels

Bonkers!

coffeeking
    Free Member

This is why many people are no longer buying magazines for reviews. They’re often pointlessly biased due to advertising revenue or based on an unrealistic agenda. Such a shame.

br
    Free Member

Is the con not the fact that manufacturers use the same size wheels on bikes for the full range of heights from below 5ft to well over 6 ft?

I think I remember Brant saying this a while back.

mrdestructo

I think I remember Brant saying this a while back.

And there I was thinking all I had to do to fit on a small bike was change the springs to higher rate ones and stick more seatpost out of the frame 🙂

PrinceJohn

kelvin

I still want a Hooligan. Or a Moulton.

Woody
    Free Member

This is why many people are no longer buying magazines for reviews. They’re often pointlessly biased due to advertising revenue or based on an unrealistic agenda. Such a shame.

I would tend to agree with a lot of that statement but I think it is probably more to do with the fact that leaps forward in technology are now few and far between, as are different routes, rides and stuff of general interest, the majority of which have been done to death.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘26" wheelsets are a 'con' ?? (Bikeradar bike group review)’ is closed to new replies.