Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 26" wheels and XS Frame (Too big for a ten year old)??
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Summers coming and my lads cheap toys r us bike is falling apart and he’s really started to get into his riding. I’ve got some wheels and short travel 26″ forks in the shed and i’m considering snapping up an XSmall 26″ hardtail and building it up – I cant help thinking though it may be too big! Anyone built anything similar and it was ok size-wise? Any help appreciated….cheers

blairc70
    Free Member

My 9 year old is riding a specialized 13″ frame with all my old bits on, pretty light and 1*10 with a 30T up front. Cranks are 155, Thorn ones. Even got him to help build it.

jeffl

Depends on the size of the boy but should be fine. As mentioned above some short cranks will help massively.

Euro
    Free Member

I’m not sure all 10 year old’s are the same height…but with a slammed seat, short cranks and stem and narrow bars i think it’d fit just fine.

I’m about to move my ‘taller than most ten year olds’ 8 year old up to a 24er / 13″ frame because i have one lying in the shed. I don’t kids are that fussy about sizing tbh. Soft seat and grips and some skull stickers are where it’s at.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Great advice guys – thanks. Never thought about crank length tbh. And yes letting him help build it makes it even more special. Brilliant – off to search for an XSframe. Cheers all.

transporter13
    Free Member

Last year i built 2 bikes up for my eldest pair.
    1 of them being a medium spesh pitch for my then 9yo and 5’1″ daughter
    The other a short scott voltage fr for my then 8yo 4’10” son

Both run 1×10 11-36 cassettes with 30t NW ring up front,152mm cranks and 40mm stems.
    Neither of them struggle for reach.

StirlingCrispin

Thump – 10 soon – razzes around on a 14″ Kona.

XT 9-speed castoffs. He started with 150mm cranks but have just moved him to 175mm cranks (2×9) which meant a lower gear and suited him better.

Loves it!

iainc

Our 9 yr old went onto a Genesis Core 20, 14 inch frame 650b, a few months ago. Fits him well and he loves it. High front end but not an issue when riding (stem has a few spacers above and is inverted)

carlphillips
    Free Member

mines on a 14″ patriot with 24″ wheels…..just a tad too big but copes fine on the rough stuff

evh22
    Free Member

Surely depends on their height? I’m 4ft9 and 14″ bike is just small enough. Shorter cranks, not too big tyres give you a couple of cm. however riding is bike that is too big sucks. If you live anywhere near Sheffield I have one in my shed you could try.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m currently building an XS trek FS frame up for my 8 yr old.
    It’s running 24″ wheels, 100mm travel front and back with150mm cranks and a 35mm stem. Not put him on it yet, but sizing seems about right from the measurements I’ve taken. I’m keeping the wheels as light as I can, and the components as compact as possible. The plan is to change up to 26″ wheels, longer stem, seat back etc: when he outgrows it.

br
    Free Member

I did this, but put on a pair a 24″ wheels for a couple of years first.

Skyliner
    Free Member

hmmmm, lots of food for thought. Thanks for the options all, and the offer evh22 (Im in the SWest which is a shame). He’s 5ft and his current cheapy 24’er has a 14″ frame and he’s getting very very confident on it. Think I might take the plunge on a 13″ 26er and keep things light and simple. 152mm cranks, 30t 1×9, short stem and some choice grips! Will post pics when up and running. He’s well excited just talking about it ( a bit like the grown-ups I guess) 😆

Yak

My 8yr old is on a xs 26er. (13″ iirc). Fits well. Running 150mm thorn cranks, 80mm fork, 30t ring.

A good guide is the islabike range. Compare to that for frame geometry, wheel size, kid height etc reference.

evh22
    Free Member

Skyliner: at 5ft he should be fine on a 13 or 14″ bike. Probably won’t need very short cranks so I wouldn’t buy specially. 165mm would be ok and he sounds like he’s gonna grow tall (and probably soon!) and need a bigger bike in a year!

stevextc
    Free Member

My 4′ six year old rides a 24 … Can’t see how a 5′ ten year old wouldn’t fit a 26 small (13″-14″)

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 3 (just about) and I tend to ride 14-16″ frames – it depends on the brand. A 14″ On-One Inbred or Orange 5 is fine for me, 16″ is too big, but a 13.5/14″ Trek or Specialized is too small (I currently ride a small Stumpjumper FSR, which is about 15.5/16″.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Great info all – looks like the way to go – cheers!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘26" wheels and XS Frame (Too big for a ten year old)??’ is closed to new replies.