Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 26" wheels and forks in a 27.5" frame – check my thinking please!
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Ok I have a full 26″ setup but can get a frame for 27.5″ where all my 26″ stuff will fit onto. This is a good thing.

Frame is designed for 120mm ish forks, I have some 26″ Pikes at 140mm. I am thinking the extra travel will a) slacken the head angle (good), b) raise the BB a bit to get it back to 27.5″ height and c) save me oodles of cash i don’t have.

Anything else I need to think of before I go for it?

transporter13
    Free Member

As long as your kit fits ie
    Tapered headtube
    Same wheel spacing
    Bb width etc

Then youll be fine
    No different from people running 24″wheels on 26″ wheel frames either back in the day or for their kids now

amedias
    Free Member

I am thinking the extra travel will a) slacken the head angle

maybe not as much as you think, 650B forks will be longer A2C for the same travel, so a 140mm 26in fork is close to a 130mm 650B fork, but there can be more than 10mm variation in A2C between forks of the same travel between different manufacturers/models so without having actual A2C measurements to hand it’s hard to say, you might just end up with the same HA as you would with a 650B 120-130mm fork rather than actually slackening it.

b) raise the BB a bit to get it back to 27.5″ height

even if the fork is actually longer it won’t affect the BB height that much, depending on actual frame angles etc. it might make 5-10mm difference, but you could easily lose than in sag again, or as above due to A2C lengths you might not gain any BB height at all…

However, crack on It’ll likely be fine, the absolute worst case scenario is a slightly low BB, which you can probably learn to live with or work around.

I’m still running 26in Wheels in my 650B Flare, the BB si a bit low, but with 165mm cranks it’s not terrible, and it’s still higher than the BB on my actual 26in BTR so just proves there’s often more variation between bikes* than difference you can make with a few mm lost or gained here and there.

If it turns out terrible and unworkable you’ll just have to get some new forks and wheels (or 26+ tyres**) 😉

* When I got the Flare I did a bit of geometry comparing and worked out that there were plenty of other frames out there with 10-15mm lower BBs anyway, so losing ~15mm of BB height to my small wheels just puts it in the same ballpark as other bikes running the ‘right’ size wheels.

** Currently have some WTB 26+ Tyres on there that bring the outside diameter to within a few mm of a 650Bx 2.2-2.3, they were lovely over summer, terrible in the mud though!

Andy-R

No different from people running 24″wheels on 26″ wheel frames either back in the day or for their kids now

Except even less size difference.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Thanks all. I have a crazy low BB on my Pitch pro now anyway so probably won’t notice if it’s a tad lower. My Pitch is so low on the BB it looks like an elderly cat.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. I love my BFe 275 on 26″ wheels and 140mm forks.

FOG

Oh dear, I had just convinced myself not to buy a new Soul as not much would be transferable from my 26″ Soul but it seems a frame will all that would be necessary. Would using the 26er wheels and fork make the geometry changes pointless? It would be just until I can conjure up money for new forks and wheels.

iffoverload
    Free Member

make sure that there is enough clearance on the chainstays for the size of tyres you want to run,

on some rear triangles they start bend in quickly to give heel space and can make clearance tight when you bring the tyre back 1/2″

chestrockwell

Please be careful you lot as you might upset the baying mob that insist the evil bike industry has rendered every bit of their 26” bike redundant and are refusing to buy a new bike as they just want a frame and it’s impossible to get one.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Well I’ve bought the frame now so no going back! Let’s see what happens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘26" wheels and forks in a 27.5" frame – check my thinking please!’ is closed to new replies.