Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 26" wheeled commuter ?
  • cr500dom
    Free Member

I`m starting a new job on Monday, which gives me back a cycling commute of 7-8 miles each way.
    I`m not happy about leaving my Road bike or MTB locked up outside and possible storage inside the building is as yet unknown.

I have a 26″ Alfine * rear wheel and shifter set up in stock, along with some 2.3 Schwalbe supamotos, so I was considering doing an Alloy framed MTB based commuter…..
    Discs, flat bars, alfine, 2.3″ lightweight slicks & full guards quick swap of tyres and it could be a spare MTB
    Thoughts ? Pictures of your commuters/urban MTB`s etc
    cheers
    Dom

theflatboy
    Free Member

When I only had space/money for one bike, I used a rigid Scandal for this purpose for quite a while. It was fine, main issue that was a bit of a pain where wearing out of quite expensive drivetrain, other than that it did the job nicely.

wwaswas

Scandal with SS dropouts would be good.

might need P-clips for the guards and a rack though?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Thats kind of what I`m thinking (been offered a mates Trek frame for sensible money) now what rigid forks to run on it ?

And yes, I have a Rack ready for it

micky
    Free Member

Yes why not. I used a 26″ for commuting & road pleasure rides for years. If it’s mainly road I would consider going carbon non suspension fork or steel if security is a problem.

kimbers

i use a steel kona with P2s ten miles each way

1×10 is fine as its flat round here

the most important thing is schwable marathon plus tyres!! no punctures in 2 + years youll be amazed how much glass, and pointy stuff is lying in the road

ive recently gone for discs as my fingers were aching with Vs, and you get through pads and wear rims out fast

and I leave a very heavy motorbike chain at work and have security qrs on my saddle and wheels (still run a cable lock through them)

plumber
    Free Member

I use my inbred mostly

cr500dom
    Free Member

Its a Trek 8500 Frame, and I was definitely thinking rigid forks 🙂

Northwind

Makes sense to me, my commuter’s an ancient mountain bike, which due to Progress is now officially a hybrid, and it works a charm but you could take the same approach with newer parts. Though, may end up a bit less theftproof.

The other option is to super-mega-cheap it… Steel rockhopper or not-old-enough-to-be-retro roadie off gumtree for £50, woolyhatshop for bombproof cheap drivetrain etc. Barely even need to lock it 😉

shifter
    Free Member

My commuter’s a 26er so I can use part worn tyres from my proper MTBs. After looking at lots of horrible SH stuff on the bay I ended buying a new Brand X XC3 frame from CRC.

takisawa2

This will be my next Commuter/Urban/Kids-to-the-Parks type bike.
    Dull, nondescript grey to not attract attention.
    De-stickered wheels I’ve yet to build up.
    32-11 x 48/36 double drivetrain should do it, on some nice big 2″ slicks. Thinking a nice high stem & bars too & obviously a rack & full guards.

Just a shame its not a 29er. My current commuter is a Kona Ute, on 29″ wheels. With some 2″ slicks on it really flies along.

Sadly, the DFS saddle wont be coming along for the ride.

Picture 130 by pten2106, on Flickr

buck53

Must just be me but I couldn’t go back to 26″ wheels after commuting on my road bike. I’m going to build up my old ht frame with rigid fork and cx/29er wheels for this winter.

Probably just me being spoilt but a word of warning nevertheless.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have most of a build already, BB / Hone Crankset, Alfine rear Wheel and shifter, spare 160mm discs, stem, bars, grips, rack, tyres etc etc.
    Will need a Fork, front wheel, a set of cheap brakes and some full guards 8)
    Commute will be cross town so the “Urban MTB / Big BMX” type thing appeals, and it wont look all bling with Rack and Guards on it either 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Alfine and discs is still a bit too nice to leave outside really.

I picked up an old 90’s MTB to use as a commuter for a while, worked great. Its easy to start over-speccing it though, remember it needs to be locked outside otherwise you’ll be back where you started needing a new commuter. (this seems to have happened to me..)

takisawa2

Are we seeing the evolution of a new niche here… 😯

cr500dom
    Free Member

I do have a Langster too, which I`ll use to start with but its too nice to trust locked up at work.

takisawa2 – Member
    This will be my next Commuter/Urban/Kids-to-the-Parks type bike.
    Dull, nondescript grey to not attract attention.
    De-stickered wheels I’ve yet to build up.

That`s the other requirement, Kiddie carrier at the weekends which the Langster isnt really designed for

cr500dom
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    Are we seeing the evolution of a new niche here…

Quite possibly 😀 8)

theflatboy
    Free Member

I had On One carbons on mine. I never left it locked up anywhere though, really, secure buildings at both ends. Part of the reason for eventually getting the Pomp as an all-purpose bike.

It was very good fun to ride, obviously nice and strong so good for a fairly “wheels off the ground” commuting style. 🙂

Horatio – I’m going the same way, my Pompetamine appears to have acquired a Chris King headset, Thomson seatpost and other excessively nice parts. Trying to rein myself back in!

smokey_jo

I’ve got some alloy rigid forks from a Canondale Bad Boy in the shed, black 1″ 1/8 – would have to measure steerer – yours for £10+postage if you like.

There was a psa for 26″ SKS chromoplastics on here not long ago – I got a set for £7-8 I think. I run my retro mtb 26″ commuter with them and there is very little clearance left with a Schwalbe city jet 1.95″ tyre in there.

xiphon
    Free Member

If anybody wants some 26″ Marathon Plus tyres, gimmie a shout. I have a pair with less than 100 dry miles on them.

cr500dom
    Free Member

smokey_jo – Member
    I’ve got some alloy rigid forks from a Canondale Bad Boy in the shed, black 1″ 1/8 – would have to measure steerer – yours for £10+postage if you like.

Yes please, I`d be very interested in those,

SKS do a wide version but I might go the whole hog and fit 60mm wide stainless full guards !!

penny1971
    Free Member

Go for it!!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I use this

with an Alfine and slightly better cable discs.

Love it, very swoopy geo, weight quite far back, better than the Subway 2 I had before. Also unlike the Subway it’s not been pinched.

NB if you get one be aware there is a free recall on models with those forks if fitted with an alloy steerer.

ransos
    Free Member

Twenty year old Marin Eldridge Grade, with slicks, guards and a rack. A perfect short commuting machine. It’s surprisingly nice to ride, and is cheap enough for me not to worry about locking it up in the city centre.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I`m kind of thinking along these lines but with Rack and guards

brassneck

Personally I’d go for 1.5″ slick tyres, you can usually pick up a wire bead pair for £25 ish with tubes on Wiggle et al and they’d add a handy turn of speed over fatter slicks. Flat bars with bar ends for a rang of positions too.

Rode a Kona like this for ages till I bought a proper road bike, not that much slower overall.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I back to back tested some 1.5 conti gatorskins against the 2.35 supermotos and I could feel no appreciable difference in speed or rolling resistance, big difference in comfort though.
    (Same Bike, same rider, same stretch of road)

I kept the Supermotos, gave the contis back to the mate I had borrowed them from.

Might even attempt tubeless with them on this build as the rear wheel already has a ghetto setup

dukeduvet

Shocking photo but this is my recent commuter for a 12 mile round trip

Old Merlin Malt frame which is very light, triple butted P2 forks and some quality kit, it now has full slicks on too and guards. All in it is so light and very fast. I can cruise at about 25mph and only the odd roadie is faster.

So yes 26″ wheels can make a great commuter and I dont worry about leaving it locked on the street.
    [/url]
    2013-04-13 18.52.23 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr[/img]

Dickyboy

Kona Kula + Onza Fly guy forks does the job for me, vee brakes full mudguards, flat bars, bar ends & 26 x 1.75 Panaracer Pasela tyres, great little bike although hitting pot holes can still be pretty harsh 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘26" wheeled commuter ?’ is closed to new replies.