Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 26+ – What Cheapish Wide Rim?
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As they seem to have come down in price a bit I’m thinking of pushing the button on some Dirt Wizards for my venerable Surly 1×1.

Surly reckon they need a 35mm rim minimum and ideally 50mm.

What cheapish but decent rim options are out there?

Anyone got pics of a similar setup to inspire me?

Although I’d love to build up a wheelset on a pair of rabbit holes, together with cost of the tyres the cost would be straying into n+1 fat bike territory but unfortunately, even with faultless logic applied, there is no way that’s going to get past the internal auditor.

akira

I’m running mine on spank spike 35s, seem to work pretty well. Not got pics but you could easily run them on a 30mm internal diameter rim as they don’t size up huge.

nedrapier

search for trials rims: light, strong, cheap! Maybe not all three, but they can be had for a sight cheaper than hugos or rabbit holes.

woody2000

Halo SAS? Probably weigh as much as a car, but cheap and wide (36mm)

http://ebay.eu/1SsormY

nedrapier

loads to choose from here – £17 to £54

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_rear_rims/c25.html

Retrodirect
    Free Member

What they said.

A number of years ago I went mountainbiking in India. I didn’t want to take fancy kit so I built a bike up with all the old parts kicking around our flat. An old trailstar built up with 50mm trials rims. I was only running 2.1 tyres, the cornering was a revelation.

Do it. if you can put up with the weight it’s well worth it. Since then been running 30-35mm on all my offroad bikes.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Superstar have some prototype kind of rims in that size going cheap

karlsbug
    Free Member

+1 Halo SAS. Cheap, bombproof.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice however since posting this an exploratory shed-mining expedition has unearthed a Rhyno-lite wheelset which have 29mm rims. Am now wondering at the biggest tyre I can usefully get on those. They currently sport some Schwalbe Big Apples which are fairly huge.

If I mounted up some Dirt Wizards on those, will I die? Any other big volume tyres which would work?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘26+ – What Cheapish Wide Rim?’ is closed to new replies.