Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 26 v 29. This should settle it once and for all.
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Toasty – Member
    I had a quick test on a Trek 69er, the bike was FAR faster forwards than backwards, indicating the 29er wheel was much faster.

That can’t be right. A smaller wheel at the front would be more aerodynamic, so a 96er would be best. There must be another variable at play here, and I know that’s true because Penny Farthings aren’t as fast as modern bikes. Can MTG get us a 69er and 96er with Powertaps too?

benslow
    Free Member

SO **** TIRED OF THESE THREADS

I agree …

Trek 69er, the bike was FAR faster forwards than backwards, indicating the 29er wheel was much faster.

No I don’t … theres mileage in them still …

😀

SO **** TIRED OF THESE THREADS

I love ’em. I’ll probably start another one tomorrow.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

Well I had my first ride off-road on a 29er today. Was much faster than my largely identical 26er (which I borrowed the saddle, cranks and pedals from). I have to admit I was a lot more impressed with its capabilities than I expected to be – the larger wheel genuinely did seem to roll over stuff better.

jimjam
    Free Member

As much as I dislike them, I have been doing some 29er testing of my own recently. Results – meh.

On some short trails on a local loop myself and another rider swapped between a brand new 120mm full sus 29er, and my zesty (with forks set at 120mm) both with comparable tyres. On a rolling start there was little to separate the two bikes. The 29er was grippier and more predictable, but not faster. The zesty “felt” much faster, and much more fun.

From a standing start the 29er got smoked every time. I was expecting it to accelerate slower but not that much slower. Throwing in some jumps on the trail though really left it floundering as it was nigh on impossible to get the front wheel up. On the climbs and on flatter less twisty trails the 29er was less work, it seemed to need less rider input, perhaps less involving but again not discernibly much faster if any. Maybe over much longer trails that might manifest in quicker times as riders stay fresher.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So what the OP is suggesting is something like this, but with power outage as well?

Sorry, specializedbear, I overlooked this yesterday.

Hi MidlandTrailquestGraham, If you don’t mind I would like your advice on a totally different subject.
    I recently bought a Lynskey Ridgeline 29 and (having previously ridden a Alfine 8 for sometime with no probs), fitted a new Alfine 11 to the Lynnskey. To say the Alfine 11 has been a crap would be an understatement!
    Am I right in thinking that you have a Rohloff HG and have done a fair bit of riding on it? If so what do you reckon, has it been reliable/robust? Is the talked about drag feel in some gears for real and is it much of an issue? etc
    I do like the HG concept, don’t mind the little extra weight. I now just want a Hub gear that does what it is supposed to and lasts!
    Any feed back would be appreciated.

Yes, I’ve got a Lynskey Ridgeline 29 with a Rohloff.
    In short, yes;
    I think it’s more reliable than derailleurs.
    I don’t think there’s a significant difference in weight, and I definitely don’t notice the rearward weight distribution problem that other people complain of, even compared to riding the same bike SS.
    There were some thorough tests done by The Human Powered Vehicle Club, or someone like that, which showed that in some gears the Rohloff was more efficient than derailleurs. Overall, there wasn’t much in it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Awesome job MTG, now this one is sorted I hear the Korean peninsular needs a little work….. also we need to know if red or black is faster

specializedbear
    Free Member

Cheers for your advice on the Hub Gear. All the best. Graham

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘26 v 29. This should settle it once and for all.’ is closed to new replies.