Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 26" UST rim advice
  • aquamac
    Free Member

Hey, I’m replacing my wheels on a 2010 Lapierre Zesty 514. Love the bike just want to upgrade bits. I’m after some options to run on Hope hubs. I want UST ready as I’m not going back to tubes. Anyone got any as ice that’s not to crazy price wise and still light.

woodsman
    Free Member

Mavic xm819

Northwind

Not UST, Stans. Every bit as good tubeless, but wider and lighter. Few UST rims are competitive.

Having said that the 821 might actually be a decent option, it depends which of the contradictory weight claims is true and whether it’s kept the mavic toughness.

torihada
    Free Member

With this option stans & mavic EN821 same price:

Moonglu

goodgrief
    Free Member

WTB Frequency

tmb467
    Free Member

Went to moonglu for mine – was recommended to get mavic over stans (and avoid wtb freq)

Dt swiss 350 hubs and mavic en821s appear to be just over 2kg on my dodgy scales – which normally add 10%

Hopes will be lighter again but won’t last as long

PiknMix
    Free Member

I use 819’s and they have been brilliant. Good for up to a 2.3 max, despite the reviews.

mtbtom
    Free Member

I’ll second the suggestion for Stans rims. I’ve used Mavic UST and Bontrager ‘Tubeless Ready’. My Stans Flow Ex (on Hope Pro 2’s) are the easiest rims to get a seal I’ve had.

Even Maxxis Highroller’s pop nicely into the rim. Have always struggled with that tyre in the past.

spence
    Free Member

819’s just work as they are supposed to. From all the other posts on here about tubeless problems, any non UST rim is simply folly.

chiefgrooveguru

819’s just work as they are supposed to. From all the other posts on here about tubeless problems, any non UST rim is simply folly.

Stans rims seal better with non-tubeless tyres than UST rims and at least as well with tubeless ready and UST tyres as UST rims. So where is the folly?

D0NK

at least as well with tubeless ready and UST tyres as UST rims.

not ime, get the right tyre/rim combo and stans are a doddle to setup, wrong one and you get problems, UST is (supposedly) standardised and just works (mounting them anyway) UST tends to be heavier, more expensive, narrow rims for the weight and less choice of tyre but fit together better. (Tougher? Not sure, 819s are bombproof for xc riding but at 500g they bloody well should be)

But admittedly that is a lot of cons for the 1 pro at setup (and if you have a compressor that dissapears)

torihada
    Free Member

Stans rims seal better with non-tubeless tyres than UST rims and at least as well with tubeless ready and UST tyres as UST rims. So where is the folly?

I’ve not used Stans rims so can’t comment. My observation for other rims I’ve used:

Bonty TR tyres on Bonty TR rims: tyres go on really nicely (just put one on tonight). Soap and track pump, easy. But you have to have sealant (I always use sealant on all tubeless) and I find the tyre walls on Bonty TR tyres just too thin. I have about 4 or 5 bonty tyres that have lots of life in them but can’t be run tubeless due to unrepairable sidewall tears or kinked beads. Getting Mavic Minions & Conti RQs to seat on bounty rims is tough. Lots of sweat, swearing & soap.

I’ve 2 sets of UST mavic rims: 819 & 823. UST tyres go on beautifully. Such a good fit you could run them sealant free. Rims are bombproof and the weights confirm that. 819s are just too narrow though. I’ve burped RQ USTs off on 3 occasions. I’d love to build a set of EN821s on Hope bulbs for pedalling in the Alps this summer but think I’m going to have to put up with the 823s.

I only use TR & UST tyres for tubeless.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Used 819s for everything from xc to weeks in the alps and finale. Great rims, ust has been super reliable. Wouldn’t touch stans rims with the proverbial barge pole, Ime unreliable, faffy and weak!

jedimaster
    Free Member

ex823 all the way. I use UST and LUST high rollers on these and they seal without any effort. You don’t even need sealant to run them. The only downside is the weight but in the end they are a bombproof set of wheels.

Garry_Lager

Mavic were years ahead in tubeless reliability, but everyone else has long since caught up. Still have a pair of pro2 819s on the go (they’re very durable), and they’re fine, but would never consider buying them over stans nowadays. More options, better weight and just as reliable IME.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Got a brandnew Shimano xt755 full UST front wheel for sale, bought two sets for my 11 514 & only just sold up & gone 650b, it’s 15mm & spanking new if it’s of interest, theyre uber light & strong no faffing with rim tape either.

Cheers

Northwind

spence – Member

Not so much. I use/used assorted Mavic and Fulcrum UST, and Stans, Roval (Stans copies) and now Lightbicycle TLRs. Functionally, they’re identical. Except the Fulcrums, they’re harder to get the tyre onto the bead.

9/10 tubeless issues with TLR rims are user error imo (that’s why so many threads end with “now it works” or “I took it to the shop and they fixed it in 2 seconds”)

nickc

Another happy 819 user here. They’re a bit awkward to build as they’re sealed inside (obviously) but they’re easy to live with, no strips to faff with, just whack tyre on, pump, Stand back and admire your handiwork. I think TBH Stans prob have the edge nowadays though, and I’d be looking at those next time (if my 819s ever wear out that is, as breaking them seems unlikely!)

Northwind

When you’re comparing 819s with other models, you have to bear in mind that it’s designed as an XC rim, yet heavier than any of the stans options. So people insist on comparing with Crests but the Flow Ex is a better comparison and even then they’re giving away a little weight. I really like my 819s, they have their place but it’s a very old rim now and “incredibly strong xc rim/incredibly narrow am rim” is a bit of a tricky niche.

nickc

Totally agree Northwind.

If the 819 was a bit wider it would be teh awsumz, but its not, so it isn’t.

in late night musings I worry about Stans rims being non eyelet, but I’m no great destroyer of rims so I doubt it’ll be a massive real world issue, in the same way that people go on about the weight of 819s, in truth my tubeless MK 2.4 plus 819 plus stock Atomlab 20mm hub is STILL lighter than my GF’s tubed NN running on stock Giant AX2 rims with a boggo SLX 9mm hub

Houns

819’s. Got a set that are 8 years old. Faultless. 821’s are recommended by my LBS as being even betterer

Northwind

nickc – Member

in late night musings I worry about Stans rims being non eyelet

FWIW I cracked a Flow at the valve hole. But my 721s cracked to **** at the eyelets 😆 I’m no expert but I figure pressing in the eyelets has got to stress the rim a little. And obviously means less metal to “spend” elsewhere. I think with a good non-eyelet rim there’s less difference than there used to be but probably makes more difference if you want the wheel to last 10 years- there’s different sorts of strong.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If the 819 was a bit wider it would be teh awsumz, but its not, so it isn’t.

If only there was a rim like a 821 or a 823 if you wanted a wider version…

in late night musings I worry about Stans rims being non eyelet

I didn’t worry about it until my Flow Hoops collapsed on their second ride out; then it was an issue.

nickc

Scott, oh aye, I know but the 819 is 450g with the eyelets, 823 are well into 700g territory, Whereas Flows are 490g and arch ( a better 819 comparison) are 400g

Mavic rims a bloody ace, don’t get me wrong, but the same width with considerably less weight is a no brainer really

Edit: re your flows! 😯 blimey!! D’you know why they collapsed?

njee20
    Free Member

theyre uber light & strong no faffing with rim tape either.

No they aren’t, no Shimano wheels can be described as ‘uber light’.

Stan’s rims all the way IMO. Mavic are so outdated. The XM819 is the same rim they released in 2001, they’re a pain to build, heavy, narrow. As said, yes they’re strong, but they damn well should be!

Just choose an appropriate model from Crest/Arch EX/Flow/Flow EX for your riding style.

Northwind

@Scottchegg, what caused that? Unless the nipples pulled through the rim, it’s nowt to do with eyelets…

woodsman
    Free Member

njee20 – the 819 rims are different now, they’re certainly not the same as 2001 (surprised they had UST then anyway). I bought some last year and they are asymmetrical for a start, and a bit lighter! We’re not all fascinated with weight, sure if you’re running a sub 20 pound xc race bike as you are I’m sure there are more suitable available. For all round durability (they are the only wheel rim I’ve not shagged – yet) they are light enough for a quick climber yet take a lot of shit without going out of true. Best wheel rims I’ve used anyway.

Oh, and of course they seal up fantastically, only had two burps that needed attention with a pump in five or so years of running them across my bikes. I do use UST tyres only though.

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – the 819 rims are different now, they’re certainly not the same as 2001 (surprised they had UST then anyway). I bought some last year and they are asymmetrical for a start, and a bit lighter! We’re not all fascinated with weight

I take it back then, they were exactly the same as the X3.1 they released in 2001 when they launched UST. Sounds like they’ve recently updated.

You’re right, we’re not all fascinated with weight, but the vast majority of people who ask about wheels have weight as a very high motivator for change. Particularly when the XM819s come up narrow too, which is another regularly touted desired criteria. So yes, they’re strong. But are they stronger than actually comparable rims?

aquamac
    Free Member

I think, I’m going to go for the Stans. They get good feedback, hard to decide but think I need to just bite the bullet.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. This forum rocks!

rewski
    Free Member

I’m still rocking the Shimano on my 2010 514, been a solid set of hoops, only had one rear hub replaced. If I were to replace them I’d probably give the maxlights a try.

chris_db
    Free Member

I went for Stans when I went tubeless, the Flow and now Flow EX are wide enough to increase grip and bomb proof (I’m a fat knacker). I run Hans Dampfs on them, they look mahoosive on the 23mm rims but the grip is as much as I need.

Only difference I’ve noticed is the EX are a bit harder to get the tyre on but repay you with instant inflation with a track pump. Just one layer of yellow tape – just pay attention to how you poke the valve through; I always use a small “washer” made with old rim tape – it’s a bit softer than the valve seat and the tape, just guarantees a seal first time.

I’ve used Superstar but Hope Pro Evo2 are way better. No real experience with other hubs, both mbikes now on Hope/Stans Flow EX now.

Chris

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘26" UST rim advice’ is closed to new replies.