Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • "26+" tyres….
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Does (has) anyone make a decent “trail” tyre in 26″ X 2.5-2.8″ ish sizes?

26 isn’t dead for me yet, I’m wondering if the simplest solution for slightly bigger diameter (ie 650b) is bigger tyres on my existing wheels, which suit all the theories about higher tyre volume etc.

I’ve had a 2.5″ WTB Weirwolf in the past . Nice high volume, but appeared to be paper thin. At the other extreme are full-on DH tyres, I want something in between.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yep, I was going to say this has Surly written all over it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlexSimon

Surly do a specific 26+ tyre (dirt wizard?)

I think there’s a 2.6 Ardent.
    Trail King 2.4s are pretty big
    2.5 Nevegal?

Edit – too slooooooooow

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

That surly’s pretty light! Weighs less than a 2.2 Conti protection I would imagine it would be more along the line of theWeirwolf something with a bit more casing to support the expanded volume would have to weigh at least 1kg no?

AlexSimon

Says you need 35mm rim though – don’t know how true that is.

nedrapier

Rim width is a big contributor if you can consider that too. I saw some 2.4 contis on Dually rims and they were BIG.

On the other hand, the 2.75 dirt wizard on my stans crest is not really much bigger than the 2.4 conti/crest

I can dig out the measurements if you want?

nedrapier

Says you need 35mm rim though – don’t know how true that is.

If you want it to be a big tyre, you need to put it on a big rim! Probably handles better too, but you can say the same of 2.3-2.4 tyres.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers Ned, that would be good. Presently got 30-ish-mm rims. Forks are good for 2.8″ and future frame should be good for 2.6″

Surly Dirt Wizard does look very nice if its not too heavy.

nedrapier

Front “2.75” Dirt Wizard on Crest. 20 psi
    casing width (digital calipers) – 2.35 in
    height from rim hook (d.c.) – 2.05 in
    circumference (rim hook – rim hook) (thread and tape measure) – 6.5 in

Rear “2.4” X-King on Crest 20 psi
    casing width – 2.33 in
    height from rim hook – 1.91 in
    circumference – 6.25 in

Dirt Wizard is 850g in the light weight version and costs £65
    X King is 560g in light weight version, costs £35
    Admittedly the tread is chunkier and is going to take a lot of that extra weight.

A 39 mm (internal) Velocity Dually is 610g
    21mm internal Crest is 340g

I’m probably going to get a Dually some time soon!

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’m wondering if the simplest solution for slightly bigger diameter (ie 650b) is bigger tyres on my existing wheels,

If you want it to be a big tyre, you need to put it on a big rim!

If you put the same tyre on a bigger rim it will probably take on a wider squarer profile but it will not have a larger diameter, in fact it probably has a smaller diameter as the casing has been spread outwards not up.

nedrapier

OK “big” not too useful.

I meant volume and footprint which is what most people want from “bigger” tyres. Not quite the case here, though.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Any chance of a photo of the Dirt Wizard on the Crest, Ned?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Surly also now sell a 26×3.0 Knard if you’re looking for a less aggressive tread pattern.

The Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 on the rear of one of my bikes measures 2.32in accross the casing and 2.in height.

EDIT:
    If you’re into fattish tyres and low pressures there are various trials rims available for £30ish at 50mm width and with cut-outs to reduce weight.

jonathan
    Free Member

Ooh – interesting thread 🙂

Currently using Maxxis Ardent EXO 26 x 2.4 on my singlespeed. They pretty much measure up to claimed size on 28mm rims. They’re very grippy and I’ve recently been running them at about 15psi (Stans tubeless kit) with good result. High enough volume not to bottom out at that pressure on pretty hefty rock/steps hits. I’d happily go a bit fatter on that bike – it’ll take 3″ easy.

Always interested in “large” 26″ tyres 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9z4vmY]New tyres finally on and inflated… so good having a friend with a compressor![/url] by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

nedrapier

ir – yes, but maybe not immediately – bikes at home and I’m not, and going out (just “out”, not “out out”) straight from work.

MB – 3.0 and trials rims both interesting. Thanks! Off to look…

… any starters on brands for the rims?

edit again. Onza. obvs. £45 for a 38mm wide, 615g rim? Bit easier to swallow than £104 for the dually, even if it’s not quite as wide.

jonathan
    Free Member

Ned – have you run the 2.75 Dirt Wizards on the Crests? How was it?

Wondering how fat I can go without changing rims

nedrapier

absolutely fine, jon! just not much wider than the X King, that’s all.

I wasn’t sure about the rim width, but Andy StoogeCycles ran a Knard on a flow and thought it was absolutely fine. People have run knards on crests too, no problems either, but might have admitted it probably wasn’t ideal.

jonathan
    Free Member

Sounds like they might definitely be worth a go on my XM321s then – they’ve probably got 4mm over Crests. I even know a man who might have some in stock 🙂

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Similar interest to me, but the front tyre won’t give enough clearance around the fork bridge if I go larger than 2.4 🙁
    Enough room out back (Inbred) to go a bit bigger.

Jonathan, what frame is that, please?

nedrapier

it’s a nice frame – funny to see we have similar interests!

jonathan
    Free Member

That’s a Surly 1×1 frame… er… counts fingers… 2004 vintage!

Oooh Dekerf with one of them eccentric externals? Niche. Nice. 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Just some advice to people thinking of trying this (with any of the current ‘+’ sizes going around at the moment)….

Even on a wide rim generally speaking the tyre will take on a square profile making the bike less easy to lean into turns, possibly offering less side grip and with lots of tyres the side wall protrudes further than the tread width making it susceptible to tears.

My experience of buggering about with 2.7 maxxis compared to 2.5 maxxis was that tread width was the same despite the different size but the side walls on the 2.7 bulged out further making them easy to puncture….obviously this wont be the same for all wide tyres but make sure you know what you’re buying so you dont end up with a useless balloon tyred bike that is no good for off road riding….unless these newer ‘+’ sized tyres offer tread width significantly wider than existing 2.5 sized rubber then i’m not really seeing the point….extra volume/comfort?…on a hardtail maybe, on a full susser?…nope, thats what your suspension is for!

nedrapier

cheers jon. I like it!

deviant – cheers for the info – just a bit of extra funfort in a rigid fork.

Stans Hugo in the UK soon. 560g. Not what anyone would call inexpensive though!

epicyclo

Two 1x1s, both with Surly DWs on 35-40mm rims.

It is close on being a perfect 3 season rig.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘"26+" tyres….’ is closed to new replies.