Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 26" tubeless ready wheels..anything better out there than these?
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

My current crest/superstar rim aren’t up to the job any longer,I’ve had them true’d a few time and just had them rebuilt but within 100 miles I’ve got a load of loose spokes again.
    So I’m looking a getting a stronger set to replace them.

Is there any thing else I should be looking at apart from these Superstar rims
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/tech-4-tubeless-ready-wheelset-ex23.htm

Don’t realy want to spend more than a couple of hundred quid.

cheers

JAG

I have some Superstar wheels on my road bike and would buy from them again.

What’s your theory for the current wheels having given up?

Surely spokes coming loose means one or more weren’t tightened correctly? or you’ve got a weakened rim which is flexing and working the nipples loose. Why would your rim have become weaker? is it cracked?

Just curious 😀

seavers
    Free Member

If your nips aren’t brass that could be the issue?

windysurfer
    Free Member

I’m guessing my rim is weakened as it won’t stay true for any length of time and I was snapping a spoke every other ride.
    I was hoping a rebuild with new spokes would solve the problem but now I’m suffering from several loose spokes after every ride.

My plan was to replace them with something a bit more beefy.

Not sure what my nipples are made of to be honest!

nosedive
    Free Member

What about buying 2 arch or flow rims and getting a bike shop to build them onto your current hubs. You might not need new spokes, if so should be about £200 ( 110-120 for the rims ans the rest for labour)

windysurfer
    Free Member

I did think about just fitting a Flow on the rear but I can’t find any in 26″ in white (to match my front Crest)

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m in the same position and will be getting some DT Swiss EX471 and having them built onto my hubs, should be less than £150 all in. Can’t find a bad word about the rims, WC DHers use them and they’re lighter and cheaper than the competition

windysurfer
    Free Member

I not sure it’s cost effective to rebuild my old superstar switch hubs with new rims v new wheels

nosedive
    Free Member

That depends if your hubs are in good nick, if they are no reason why it shouldnt be (depends on how much you value a certain rim as well)

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yeah, If you’re just going for those rims anyway then get the wheels, but otherwise you could invest the same cash into some nicer rims.

I’m rebuilding onto my hubs as I have the 40t Pro II evos and have just replaced all the bearings in them and have another bearing kit on standby, plus the wheelset with the EX471 rims is about £600!

windysurfer
    Free Member

hubs are OK but I’m not sure there’s another winter left in the bearings

Tracey

The Pacenti’s in their clearance sale look a good buy with a choice of rims widths.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I bought a set of those wheels OP when they had the offer on for £160…… And I tell you what they’re bloody great value, well built and no deflection in them unlike the stock wheels that came on my Boardman pro that had been rebuilt once but then freehub died big time.
    I am just unde 18 stone with my riding kit and 3 litre bladder riding them on the hardtail as hard as I can……
    I certainly can’t justify buying Hope options when for the money you can run these!

Tracey

A bit over your budget but the carbon AMs on offer at £300 are a steal

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘26" tubeless ready wheels..anything better out there than these?’ is closed to new replies.