• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 26" slicks – what's good and what's not?
  • dicky
    Free Member

My Vredestien S-Licks are on their last legs. Before I rush out and buy some more are there any other narrow (say 1" – 1.5") slicks you'd recommend for 26" wheels? It's a slicked up MTB commuter with 717 rims. I'm not after anything with full puncture protection, I'd prefer grip and light weight over something really tough and heavy. Thanks

PrinceJohn

i used to run continental sport contact 1.3's – & will be again when I sort out my new commuter

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Nimbus 1.5"

zaskar
    Free Member

Same as the poster-For work I use my old mtb with 717s and a 1.3 slick for grip and comfort. Road bikes are nice for longer commutes but you can hammer your mtb on the road, bike-paths and potholes.

Conti's are very grippy but I was plagued by punctures! but you do get a free tube with them. Light too.

I went with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus as I wanted puncture protection max-they weigh a ton-800grams a pc! but they roll well adding a minute to my commute.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/marathon-plus-10686

In summer I have used the lightweight version Marathon Racer which have good puncture resistance but lighter/faster with great grip.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1070-schwalbe-tires-marathon-racer.html

I wonder if anyone has used the Panaracer Ribmo?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/ribmo-tyre-32125

I only have a regualr short commute of 10 miles but in winter I don't want to be late or changing tubes.

Also a grippy old fave copied to death is the Tigoa city slicker which has a protective layer without weighing loads.

http://www.tiogausa.com/international/road-bike-tires-cityslickerarmor.html

Best tyre I've used ever is the Micherlin Wildgripper City-tons of grip (till it wears making it square intead of a smooth curve on the sidewalls-speed but no grip in the wet) but I've outridden roadies and never had a puncture in 8 yrs.

Think I might get some Scwalbe m.plus for the roadbike during winter training.

oxnop
    Free Member

Don't buy specialized fatboys – great in the dry for speed but as soon as it's slightly damp it all goes a bit wrong! I've had some embarassing accidents when I was running the fatboys!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Spesh All Condition Pro 26 x 1" I've been running these for two years on my commute & had no problems. pump 'em up to 115psi & they're good to go, they also have flak jacket puncture protection too.

hazeii
    Free Member

See here.

Personally, Sport Contacts 1.5" as tough enough but still good on the road, or Hutchinson Airlite 1.0" for if staying strictly on road.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Used spesh all condition pro 1" but they split apart after < 1 year after 10 mile daily round trip. I did occasionaly load up the panniers after stopping in tescos though.

Bought some sport contacts in 1.3 now. Free tube and puncture guarantee, seem great so far but not quite as quick.

Both have been puncture resistant.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have a pair of conti 1.125 gatorskins I put on the bike this week, used once for 12 miles, I am a tart & couldn't stand the look of small wheels in my frame, & I have ordered some 700c wheels so it looks better.
    They cost me £55 with the tubes from my LBS, yours for £40 posted if your interested?

Email in profile (gmail).
    Cheers.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone has used the Panaracer Ribmo?

I've got one but can't tell you much! Only got one on the back, not much noticeable speed/handling difference from the Bonty Invert I had on before, and I haven't had a flat in the 2 weeks I've had it.

downshep

Used Schwalbe City Jets with puncture protection for about 10 years. Good grip, durability and protection but quite heavy. Now using silly light Vittorias with slime kevlar belts. Uber fast in the dry but wet corners need respect and wet drain covers have to be avoided.

I'd recommend the City Jets for commuting.

stumpy01

I've got Schwalbe City Jets a while back from Wiggle – they were on offer with tubes thrown in.
    They seem to work fine.

4ags4
    Free Member

pair of Conti gator skins 1.125, £37 from merlin.
    Superfast and a bargain.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

4ags4 – Member
    pair of Conti gator skins 1.125, £37 from merlin.
    Superfast and a bargain.

Do they come with tubes? 😉

4ags4
    Free Member

No, mine didn't

4ags4
    Free Member

(though you can get 5 for £14 at wiggle)

psychle
    Free Member

Schwalbe Big Apple's for me… I can vouch for them being just as quick as Sport Contacts, but much much more comfortable…

icepick
    Free Member

Another vote for Schwalbe's City Jet, good grip in the dry, obviously rolls very fast, seem to be pretty puncture resistant.

rob1984p
    Free Member

We weren't keen on the Ribmos when they arrived and preferred the Paselas, i've done a couple thousand miles on City Jets but they are no comparison to Paselas although are much cheaper.

Pyro

Used Maxxis Detonator 1.25s for commuting for quite a while and I like 'em

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘26" slicks – what's good and what's not?’ is closed to new replies.