• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wl.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 26" Orange Five vs 27.5 Cotic Bfe
  • Bucko

One bike for everything, 20 mile Quantock singletrack rides, BPW days out, I suppose an ‘enduro’/trail bike.

I’ve never ridden a 27.5 but all the chat about the benefits sound like they could compensate for the lack of rear suspension.

Any opinions?

P.S I’ve had a few beers and I’m getting the N+1 itch but don’t have the funds for that so I would be selling the Five and a Deft to fund a Bfe

ads678

I’m not sure that an extra inch on the wheels will make up for 130mm of rear travel.

Bfe would be fun though.

falkirk-mark

I have both and the Bfe is a very capable bike however it is still a hardtail and might beat you up on longer harder rides.

Bucko

Basically I want a new Bfe or maybe a P7 but the Five would have to go. I just wandered what others experience of the change from 26 to 27.5 was like.

I used to have a 26 Soul with 140mm forks and I loved it but the change to a Five was nice

ampthill

I’ve never ridden a 27.5 but all the chat about the benefits sound like they could compensate for the lack of rear suspension

Might be worth getting a test ride

🙄

Bucko

I fully intend to, but I just wanted some opinions. Sorry to ruin your evening.

finbar
    Free Member

I’m trying to buy a Five if it’s 16 or 17″…

Bucko

18, same as a 17 but just a longer seat tube. But it’s not for sale just yet, as I’m just beer dreaming

ampthill

You haven’t ruined my evening. I was trying to make a subtle point.

Adding 1.5 inch to the wheel diameter is not going to make a hardtail feel like a 130mm travel FS bike.

Bucko

I know that, but the extra wheel size, the ability to run bigger tyres and the modern geometry may mean that I cope with the transition better. I really did love my Cotic Soul, and I think I would be happy with a new Bfe.

From experience, test rides always have the new bike placebo effect so I don’t trust them or myself completely

chakaping
    Free Member

Get on the neverending Cotic demo tour and try one back to back with your five on your local trails.

And have a go on the flaremax too.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I moved from a Five to a Soul to a BFe to a Slackline. Only ever have one bike at a time. Riding ability and technique has improved massively since moving to a hardtail and I’m far fitter than I was (upper body strength and balance)l. 27.5 wheels roll better and newer geometry definitely gives more confidence but only you can decide if you’re going to miss the rear travel/ comfort a full suss gives.

EDIT. If you’re going to buy a BFe, get the new one.

kayla1
    Free Member

The ‘old’ BFe 275 is an inch longer in the front than the 26″ bikes, and is a bit slacker too. They’re nicer to ride than the 26″ versions, I think anyway, and they’ll take 26″ wheels fine (I’ve got 26″ in my BFe 275).

edit- and it’s only about an inch difference if that (depending on tyres) in diameter between 26″ and 650B, which is bugger all. I’ll show my arse in Fenwick’s window if anyone can tell the difference in a blind test.

rickon
    Free Member

It sounds like youre gonna buy a BFe regardless of what STW’ers say… But…

27.5 Vs 26 doesn’t make much difference at all.

A hardtail will still beat your legs and ass senseless on fast, bumpy terrain. Plus it’ll get a steeper head angle when riding, compared to a full sus that won’t.

With that out of the way, the question is ‘Is a hardtail better for 90% of your riding, compared to a full sus?’.

If that’s a resounding ‘yes’, then get the BFe.

If it’s not, then get a demo day, or see if you can borrow someone else’s.

poah
    Free Member

Keep the 5

vincienup
    Free Member

Agree that this basically isn’t so much about specific bikes but your basic is ‘will I regret shifting my FS for an HT?”

Personally I love both, but I keep coming back to HT’s. Ideally I’d like an FS on hand for when I want it but that’s pretty wasteful. Moving to a house with less convenient space for bikes has forced me to rethink on n +plus1 ad infinitum.

If you loved your old Soul, then you stand a pretty good chance on the BFe as traditionally it was always basically a sturdier Soul that could take bigger headlands and therefore longer forks. The new new BFe is the one to get if you’re buying any. Not sure I agree with rickon completely, yes your lower back will know all about the fact you’ve gone back to HT’s to begin with but that shouldn’t be too bad unless you have a history of problems. Ass, though? Why would you be sitting at speed on rough terrain? So long as your legs can cope with the shock loading, it’s all good!

chestrockwell

I just got a p7 after a few years only riding 29″ fs. Before that I had a 26″ 2007 Clockwork to compliment the fs.

As a sort of answer to your question the Clockwork had to go as I preferred the fs in every situation so it just wasn’t getting used. Since I got the p7 the fs has been redundant as it’s such a complete bike. It has not beaten me up and is great fun. Even used it on a longer ride that I intend to use the fs for and it coped brilliantly.

Luckily I can keep both and have no intention of selling the fs as it is better in certain areas but this is the first time I have had two bikes I am happy to swap between without one being the default. The point being that, imo, modern ht’s are extremely capable and give up less to fs but there’s still a difference.

Don’t listen to those who say 26″ to 27.5″ makes no difference. It does. If I had to choose one of mine I’d really struggle but probably pick my fs. If I had to chose between your two I’d go 27.5″…… Then want another fs!

rob2
    Free Member

Depends how good a rider you are. I ride the quantocks all the time and I’m crap and prefer my soul over my heckler. But in exmoor etc the heckler makes a world of difference over a long ride.

Basically I’m saying buy a bfe but also keep the five 🙂

Del

your lower back will know all about the fact you’ve gone back to HT’s

sorry in my view that’s bobbins. If your bike fits you’re good.

leeerm
    Free Member

Beg borrow or steal a decent 29″ bike for the day before you make a decision.

poah
    Free Member

Don’t listen to those who say 26″ to 27.5″ makes no difference.

you can’t compare a 10 year old 26 bike to a modern 27.5

Bucko

Thanks for all the words of wisdom guys. The truth is though that I was high on beer when posting this and I honestly can’t afford to do anymore bike swapping for another 12 months anyway.

I’m sure I would be happy with a modern geo BFe as my only bike but for now I have a 2012 Five with 160mm Pikes to keep me happy

joebristol

Personally I wouldn’t swap from an fs to a ht for love nor money. I did that once before and it put me off mtb for the best part of 10 years before I got back into it.

People can say hardtails have moved on since then, but fs has probably moved on more.

Riksbar

I rode the BFe round Lee quarry last week and normally ride a 2012 Five, really liked the feel of the BFe but mainly because it reminded me of the Five. The main difference was a few hits came through on drops. I’d love one as an addition to the Five, but wouldn’t do a one for one replacement as I think on longer days the lack of plush would be tiring, and the gain in jumpiness wasn’t that marked (ymmv, I’m crap at jumping :D). I found the layout of the Rocket wasn’t quite right for me, medium too small, large too big.

chestrockwell

you can’t compare a 10 year old 26 bike to a modern 27.5

I wasn’t. Rode a 26″, 29″ and 650b five back to back a few years back when the 26″ was still comparable geometry wise. They all felt different with the characteristics of the 650b closer to the 29″. That’s what I base my 650b/26″ comment on and stand by the fact they do feel different. Up to you if it’s good different or not.

My comparison was fs to ht in both cases.

poah
    Free Member

Can’t tell the difference and that’s comparing bikes that are basically the same (suppressor vs patrol) no difference in feel or speed.

Massive difference between a hard tail and a fs bike no matter what the wheel size.

wl
    Free Member

Had a 2013 26″ Five now got a 2016 650b P7 and 2017 Five. Hardtail is fun and capable for sure, but not quite a match for a Five (any Five) if you want a comfortable all-rounder you can ride on rough natural trials (or even in the Alps) all day long. That’s been my experience anyway. If I could only have one bike, the Five would be it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘26" Orange Five vs 27.5 Cotic Bfe’ is closed to new replies.