Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 26'' or 27.5'' or 29''
  • gnusmas

So i will shortly be able to purchase a new full suss bike (6-8 weeks or so). Been looking around and after a recommendation on here looking at a Jeffsy 27, albeit slightly over budget.

Since then i have seen some great spec 26″ wheeled bikes second hand at good prices.

Throw in the mix 29ers and the choice is massive.

So, if you were to purchase a new full suss bike would you be completely unfashionable and go 26 or go for a 27.5/29? I know it has probably beem done before, thought i would see recent opinions.

I will of course nearer the time be putting a wanted ad up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a 29 FS and a 650b FS.

The 650b is miles quicker.

Decision made. 8)

perchypanther
    Free Member

I believe the conventional wisdom is just to pick a size you like and then be a dick about it.

So 26 it is then. Don’t listen to those other nobbers. 😉

jekkyl

cokie

Northwind

I went 29er- initially because 26er was obviously being killed and I figured if I was going to buy a new wheelsize, I wanted to be able to tell the difference. I was pretty narked at the whole 650b fiasco tbh so, definitely biased

But then once I did more test riding, the best and second best bikes I testrode were both 29ers (and the 650b versions of those bikes didn’t measure up at all)

For me, big long travel 29ers are just about perfect. I think the real eureka moment was reriding one of the EWS stages on it, and it wasn’t that it felt easier, or anything like that- it was that I got to the bottom not falling apart, usually I’d be hanging on. So I was faster sure, but safer too, and having more fun, and just generally in better shape.

Trimix
    Free Member

Test ride a few.

Make sure it fits. Shorter riders might not fit well on 29ers (and look daft). Some manufactures struggle to get long travel to work with a 29’er without upsetting the geometry.

I recently tested back to back a YT 27.5 and 29er Jeffsy. Very little difference to be honest. The biggest difference was due to the fact they were on different tyres.

If I thought really hard about it the 29’er took ever so slightly more effort to corner. But not enough that it would bother you.

russyh
    Free Member

Couple of weeks into full sus 29er, albeit owned various 29 ht. I much, much prefer my 29er. Little bit of new bike placebo maybe. But it’s so fast, stable and just as chuckable and fun.

mboy
    Free Member

Wild Horses wouldn’t drag me back to smaller wheels. OK I admit I have a big bias towards 29ers, been on them for years now, but every time I ride anything with smaller wheels my over riding feeling is I want the big wheels back!

You pays your money and takes your choice, horses for courses and all the other cliches. But despite what some of the marketing men wanted to say about 650b being the death knell for 29ers, far from it, they’re here to stay and we’re so much the better for it IMO!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The correct answer to this question is always “yes”.

Despite being deeply unfashionable, I miss my 26″ Camber. Should’ve been the worst of both worlds, small(er) diameter wheels, halfway between trail and xc, long too tube and 120mmof travel, but the thing was a rocket ship and perfectly happy with 140mm forks. There’s definitely something about the responsiveness of a sorted 26″er.

These days I’ve a 27.5″ and a 29er, both circa 140mm rear travel and solidly in the trail category. The 29er is awesome, it’ll make minced meat of anything I throw at it, but I find I have to really work at it to throw it around. My 27.5″ bike is playful and feels the fastest, but my 29″er is definitely quicker.

Your best bet is to try before you buy. See if you can test a 27.5″ and 29″ Stumpjumper back to back, likewise Trek seem to be having a trail 29″ resurgence of late.

Whatever you decide, it’s a win for you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter at the end of the day. If you want to try to apply some level of science to it then bigger wheels are faster – fact, but they’re less nimble – fact. So it depends on what trails you ride and what style of riding puts a bigger smile on your face and whether you want to sacrifice a bit of nimbleness for speed, or visa versa. Like all things in life its all about compromises – you just need to decide where you want to make the compromises.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it does matter, if you have rocky or otherwise rough trails. I was expecting a small difference with 29 but was blown away by how much better it was on the rocky technical climbs.

When I replace my Patriot 26 it will be with a 650b bike just to be different to my other two 29ers.

gnusmas

A lot of food for thought here.

As i said in my previous thread it is difficult to get anywhere to test ride any bikes, no car at present and my wife has recently been left wheelchair bound after an unsuccesful operation. A blat for a few hours will be doable but a day out testing would be very difficult.

I was seeking guidance through experiences from the almighty forum of STW to see whether changing wheel size is the way to go.

I am 5’8″, short legs but longer in the torso and riding will mainly be in Brechfa, occasionally NyA and hopefully Afan etc.

oldnpastit

If I was looking at second-hand 26″ bikes, I would avoid anything without a tapered headtube. A straight steerer limits fork choice these days, and I have a feeling that tapered is actually better.

And then I’d get a 29er.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy my old Kona 🙂

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

It doesn’t really matter at the end of the day. If you want to try to apply some level of science to it then bigger wheels are faster – fact, but they’re less nimble – fact.

While that’s true, it’s not the only factor- not even the most important factor. If you’re buying a big bike, none of them are all that agile- they’re all long and slack now, for good reason. And the 650b bikes tend to be slacker, to balance out the wheels’ reduced stability. So for trail riding use (ie not doing 720 corkscrews) the limiting factor is the rider really.

A 29er being unagile:

Posted by Jacob Gibbins on Sunday, April 3, 2016

onewheelgood

I have a fully rigid 26er, a hardtail 27.5er, and a Jeffsy 29er. I love them all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve a shed full of 26″ bits, 2 spare frames some forks and all that. Pile of tyres etc. My next bike will be 650 or 29. They tend to last long enough that I’d rather not pick up more 26″ stuff. If your looking new then it seals it.

Basically on wheel size it makes a difference but so does frame design and components. A good bike is a good bike regardless of the wheel size, it’s up to the designer to get something from it.
    Forget the this size for that crap it doesn’t hold true anymore, the height thing is interesting but double edged just as Minaar is on about being on a bike that fits finally got a tall mate who is happy to go back to 650b.

get out and try some bikes, it’s the fun bit.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

the height thing is interesting but double edged just as Minaar is on about being on a bike that fits finally got a tall mate who is happy to go back to 650b.

And Katy Winton’s 5’3 and rides a 29er Slash. (T-Mo is a mighty 5’4 and won all her EWS crowns on a 29er Remedy)

The real reason Minaar’s not had a bike that fits is that the V10’s been short, not because of the wheel size. Santa Cruz have long had their team riders pushing for longer bikes, fitting reach headsets etc. And weirdly they keep signing big riders! Ben Cathro always looked like he was riding a kids’ bike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If I was looking at second-hand 26″ bikes, I would avoid anything without a tapered headtube

This and all my MTB are 26 ers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben Cathro always looked like he was riding a kids’ bike.

To be fair, Hightower would look like that riding an XXL Nicolai Mojo!.

chakaping
    Free Member

Geometry is more important than wheelsize, but if that’s not the deciding factor I’d favour 29in myself.

gnusmas

So, i have pretty much narrowed my choices through reviews and comparing geometries to my old heckler, remedy and my current stiffee. Pretty much settled on 27.5 wheelsize. Shortlist (so far)
    Cove Hustler (frame and self build)
    YT Jeffsy
    Cannondale Habit with lefty fork (ex demo)
    Any others i should be looking at?
    Absolute max budget is £1800 but prefer to be nearer the £1500 mark.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bird Aeris. Maybe a little tricky on the budget, but well worth it.

On wheel size though, all three 😀

I’m on a mix of two 26 and one 27.5. Love them all. The 27.5 though is rather nice but it’s 90% about being newest with longer wheel base, slacker angles and carbon agile bike (5010) and 10% wheel size.

gnusmas

I did look at the Aeris, lovely bike. I did create my bike in a 120 and 145 to a spec that i would probably not change unless i needed to and it was just over £2300.

Don’t think i could raise the rest even by selling my spares and splitting my Stiffee and selling the parts.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Personally, based on that list and lacking the imagination for thinking of anything else, I’d go for the Jeffsy, IF you can put up with the wait – I think they’re July / August builds at the moment depending on size, but you did say 6-8 weeks a week ago so that might suit.
    Your top budget only gets you the entry level Al bike, but it’s still a great bike and nothing on it screams to me “only here to get it on budget” like bikes of old.

I’m a serial Cove buyer and fan and those £700 Hustler frames do looking temping, couple one with a £300 SLX drivetrain, a £400 Pike or Yari, a £200 dropper, £200 Superstar wheelset, £80 tyres and tubes (or tubeless) and you’re over budget without bars, grips, stem, headset all the little things you forget about, which could be another £200 with ease and then you’ve got to build it, if you like that, great, if you don’t not so great. Ultimately where does that put you? Well you’ve got a Cove, brilliant, welcome to the club – they are to Canada what Intense are to California, they were doing the long slack thing years before most makers, they’re tough as old boots and whatever the stats say on paper, they’re always fun to ride, but it’s a small club – they’re a total bitch to get rid of when the time comes, maybe you’re in the N+1 camp, never sell bikes, just collect them, or like me if you need to trade up to keep the Mrs happy before you buy new – you’re going to struggle, especially, if sadly it seems Cove is out of the bike making game – they haven’t made a new, new bike in years and they’re still trying to sell off 26” Shockers and G-Spots. You sell a YT by sticking on eBay and it’ll go for a +/- 5% what the one that sold the day before went for and +/- 5% what the one that sells tomorrow goes for – you sell a Cove by putting the ad everywhere, then dropping the price every week for a month, and then writing a stealth ad about why everyone discounts your bike because it’s rare, then your strip it and the bits sell in moments which is annoying then finally you sell the frame to the most random of buyers – I’ve sold 2 – a Shocker and a G-Spot, the Shocker when to live in Cypress, the G-Spot Siberia – for a lot less than almost any other brand of the same spec.

Dare I say it also, there will always be that stigma amongst Cove fans, that Hustler wasn’t made or really designed by Cove.

I know nothing of Cannondale’s but I think Lefties are ugly as bawls and wouldn’t have one.

gerti
    Free Member

I’ll be buying a new FS sometime in the next year. It’ll be wagon wheels. I have 2 x 26″ HT and 1 x 29″ HT and I’m just not willing to embrace another wheel size and the resultant spares.

Also, after only using the 29er for commuting and XC for a couple of years, I recently stuck a dropper on it and the more I ride it on proper trails, the more I love the big wheels.

edhornby

If you’re getting a HT or a shorter travel full sus, 29 is the way to go, but I can see the logic in a 27.5 for long travel

I went from 26 to 29 (both HT ) and I wouldn’t go back but the sizing and angles are another part of the upgrade satisfaction

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

29er FS (160mm) and 29er HT Superfly. Both are rocket ships. Don’t accelerate as well as my mates 650b but roll so much better and maintain momentum better.

noltae
    Free Member

A buddy of mine just spent a fortune on a full suss cotic 29er – I’ve been blown away how much quicker he is – On both descents and climbing . . I guess if your into going big – smaller wheels win but for the average rider 29er is king. .

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

36er

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve been riding mtb since before mtb existed and my latest trek 29er is the bestest most fluid off road bike I have ever ridden.

Others could be better, if so they will need to be very good indeed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

edhornby – Member 
    If you’re getting a HT or a shorter travel full sus, 29 is the way to go, but I can see the logic in a 27.5 for long travel

Short travel 650b can be awesome fun if an agile bike. Santa Cruz 5010 certainly is such a bike.

Depending what you consider is short travel. It’s 130, which not so long ago was long travel, now it’s short.

A number of manufacturers are realising people just don’t need the massive travel for 90% of UK riding anyway and lightweight shorter travel but slack bikes are the perfect trail smasher. I’ll throw in Bird Aeris 120 as well (I have some bias, but friends with them seem to love them).

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just a thought.. Get a bike/frame that can take different wheel sizes. 27.5+ should take a 29er wheel..

martinkiely
    Free Member

I have a 29 FS and a 650B hardtail, and recently went on a Cotic demo day – loved the Rocket 650B, didn’t get on at all with the 29er version, whilst my mates loved it (so much so, that one has already bought one, and he is flying on it) – just goes to show there’s no substitute for trying things unfortunately! Personally, when I change the FS it will be for a 650B, but honestly, whatever suits you best is the way to go!

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’m still happy riding around on 26″ wheels.
    I’m also happy riding on 29″ wheels, I think it may seem a bit quicker and/or smoother. I noticed it “felt” different to 26″.
    I’m happy on 27.5/ 650b wheels, although i really can’t tell the difference from 26″.

Your best bet is not to rush, get a few yltest rides, have a go on friends bikes. And go with what you like the feel of best.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘26'' or 27.5'' or 29''’ is closed to new replies.