Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • 26" just feels wrong after 29"
  • simon67
    Free Member

Have just ridden my mates 26″ wheels XTC after a month on my Highball 29er. I am never going back!!!! It felt like I was perched on top of the thing; miles from the ground. The wheels were like casters; all twitchy and, well – small. His Zesty felt exactly the same; like I was miles from the ground.

Waggon wheels forever 🙂

bol

If you’re tall, I think you’re right. Not sure it’s the same for people who sit “in” 26″ bikes like I’ve never been able to.

transapp
    Free Member

With smaller wheels you felt higher? Not sure I understand…

simon67
    Free Member

I think it’s due to the BB on the 29ers being lower relative to the axles. This gives a ‘sitting it it’ feel, I was surprised at how pronounced it felt.

nwill1
    Free Member

Never ridden 29″ i rode BMX for years….I’ve only just got used to 26″ going 29″ just seems insane but folk tend to be raving about it….might arrange a test ride.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

29ers hype by the mags and marketing by the industry, real mtbers ride 26″.

xcneil
    Free Member

Totally the opposite for me I’ve trained and raced all season on a 29er and after riding my 26″ I can say I’m going back to a 26″ and never going back! If that makes scene 😕

chiefgrooveguru

Flipping between 20″ and 26″, I really notice the pros and cons of both. I wouldn’t want a 29er to do what my Soul does (ragging singletrack, beginner jumping and mini DH, and faster XC stuff) but the part of me that’s thinking about slack low 160mm full-sus bikes is also wondering whether a slack low 140mm full-sus 29er might be even better for going fast downhill on rough stuff…

Having been riding a BMX recently I’ve realised that for the bulk of my riding I don’t want anything slacker than the Soul (@140mm) as it’s got plenty of stability but is still nimble and flicky enough and those big 26″ wheels with wide rims and high volume tyres are enough trouble to throw around compared to a 20″ wheel that I wouldn’t want more inertia to deal with but they roll so well that I don’t need that 29er advantage. I’m exactly 5’10.5″ if that makes any difference.

tazzymtb

real mtbers ride

whatever makes them smile regardless of what’s on trend 😀

trailcentre gnarcoreminceliters ride whatever the mtb press tells them is cool

there is a difference 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

Try a decent 29er, then you’ll see 😉

bigdean

I dont get the whole slack head angle thing. Rode my 26 inbread with some sus fork with quite a large a2c andit fet awful. Now on my 29 ive used the short ridgid forks of the 26er and its great but head angle is at about 72/73°. Still have the 26 full suss its not worse just different, never experienced the whole “sit in” thing with 29ers. But im 6’6ish so aways perched on a seat quite high.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Actually I had a go on a bmx on a bmx track and found it immense fun and good for the skills when transferring back to my 26″ mtb, don’t quite see why a 29″ would be better other than being faster on the ups and straight due to wheel circumference, in my minds eye a 26″ mtb would be more nibble on tight single track and on trails with lots of switch backs.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Each to there own I think I’m tall and love my 29er HT plus am faster on it than my Five.
    Rode the Five in the Peaks the other day couldn’t get on with it anymore so sold it. Can only compare it to the skill fade you get if you’ve ridden FS for years then get on a HT.

I think having so much choice is great! Else we’d all still be in Ford Model T’s and black ones for that

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I spent today on the Pitch at Warncliffe, even with lyrics I was amazed at how much I had to keept he front end light to get over rocky sections. It’s not the the Singular Swift is as good DH, but there’sa very different way of riding them with the 26″ bike taking soo much more work to keep the front rolling over stuff.

I wonder if in 5 years when eveything is 29er if the holes in trails will get bigger and they’ll be just as much a problem? Presumably on busy trails the roots/rocks must get eroded/shifted and end up with ~wheel sized gaps between them?

I dont get the whole slack head angle thing. Rode my 26 inbread with some sus fork with quite a large a2c andit fet awful (*1). Now on my 29 ive used the short ridgid forks of the 26er and its great but head angle is at about 72/73°(*2). Still have the 26 full suss its not worse just different, never experienced the whole “sit in” thing with 29ers. But im 6’6ish so aways perched on a seat quite high.

*1 It’s a stability thing, just chucking long forks on an XC bike doesn’t work as it raises the BB, which just makes it unstable and combined with the choppered head angle makes it ‘flop’ from side to side, beg/steal/borow a modern DH bike with a low BB, it’s like riding an inflatable ring down a waterslide it’s so stable.

*2 29er’s use steeper head angles to speed up the steering lost by the larger gyroscope effect of the wheels, usually the forks offset is altered too to keep the trail the same as a 26″ bike, the net result should be that the 29er handles comparably tot he 26″ bike.

bol

I just feel like a more capable rider on a 29er. I’m tall (6’4″) and always felt like i teetered on the top of 26″ bikes. I put it down to a lack of skill (which to some extent it is). On a 29er I immediately feel more planted and confident at low speeds and in technical sections, and I go faster. What’s more it’s just as much fun.

As sensible people always say, there’s 29ers and 29ers. I’m lucky in that mine seem pretty good. I’m sure they aren’t all as 26erish in the fun department.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve had mine a couple of months now 29er ti hardtail. Done technical twisty singletrack, 5hr mile munching, big day in the Highlands, mud and dry. I’m faster on everything and a whole lot more relaxed on the bike. I’m way faster on the downhills.

chiefgrooveguru

I was going to ask why taller riders feel perched up high, can’t they just bend their legs more? But I suppose if you’re on a bigger frame you can’t drop your seat as low and if you’re using a dropper post you’re coming down only 4″ or 5″ from a much higher starting point.

As most 29ers have longer chainstays, and presumably longer front centres (to keep the F/R weight distribution balanced), they must have longer wheelbases. Couple that with the BB being lower compared to the front axle and the bike will be much better at avoiding endos on v steep descents.

grum
    Free Member

How come no-one has ever mentioned these ’29ers’ before? I’ve never heard of them until now. You’d think with them being so amazing there would be more fuss about them in magazines etc?

jambo13
    Free Member

I have to say I wouldn’t go back to a 26er now having ridden my Tallboy for the past 6 months, just so much faster and more capable everywhere, especially flat out downhill!

That said, I’m 6’6 on a XXL frame, I guess I can see how others might not get on with them.

Would be interesting to see how many ppl who have ridden 29ers want to go back to tiny wheels…? 😈

_tom_
    Free Member

Conversely, 26″ just feels wrong after 20″.

slinkybike
    Free Member

I have just got rid of my 26inch hardtail as it felt too wired switching between it and a simlair 29ner. It was faster in tight single track but the swaping over all the time was doing my head in.

seadog101

I’m not convinced yet. It seems to me in my generalised and unquanitified experience that there are an equal amount of riders who praise the 29″ as there are those who sticking with/returning to the 26″.

Personally, they just look too big, and if it doesn’t look right it probably isn’t right. And, I was pleased to see plenty of 26″ wheels going around the track at Hadleigh for the ‘pics.

I’ve also heard it said that 29s don’t go any faster, they just feel that way… You can’t go faster without putting more energy in in the first place.

tinytim

Bol, What are you riding?

I’m 6’4″ and perched on top of a 26″ hard tail and trance.

Solaris curious!

Thanks, Tim

bigrich

I enjoy riding my CX (which are 29ers for real men) but I also love my Soul. My cx is faster in the singletrack, and the soul is more lairy. although doing jumps when on the drops is a lot of fun.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteI enjoy riding my CX (which are 29ers for real men) [/quote]

Don’t most CX’ers still wear pink Lycra and those silly caps under their lids?…. just saying

Paceman
    Free Member

Personally, they just look too big, and if it doesn’t look right it probably isn’t right.

I’ve gone from a medium 26″ Yeti 575 to a large Tallboy 29er. They have the same wheelbase give or take a couple of millimetres. With my saddle at the same height I also feel much more stable and sat “in” the bike on the Tallboy. I put this down to the BB being much lower relative to the hubs, thus meaning your weight is much lower when ragging it through the singletrack. The whole bike being bigger thing is a myth, I’m 5’10” and also have more stand over on the 29er. The wheels are bigger that’s all, everything else hasn’t been scaled up.

I’ve also heard it said that 29s don’t go any faster, they just feel that way… You can’t go faster without putting more energy in in the first place.

You can go faster using the same amount of energy if your bike rolls better over rocks, roots, ruts etc.

bigrich

Don’t most CX’ers still wear pink Lycra and those silly caps under their lids?…. just saying

seeing as mountain biking is a sport recently dominated by fat middle managers in troy lee gear, it’s best not to comment on clothing.

Steve77
    Free Member

I’ve never had a go on a 29er. Can you manual them?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve never had a go on a 29er. Can you manual them?

Cedric Garcia on a Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCMW2zHOo0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fail
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-magazine-26v29-bonus-feature.html

chiefgrooveguru

Would be interesting to see how many ppl who have ridden 29ers want to go back to tiny wheels…?

26″ wheels aren’t tiny! But riding truly tiny 16″ and 20″ wheels gives you a real insight into the pros and cons of going either way. Don’t forget that whilst a bigger wheels rolls better it also accelerates slower and resists turning more.

In the real world it’s all shades of grey – only in marketing speak and fanboydom is it black and white, and such attitudes do 29ers a disservice. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 29er DH bikes in the world cup soon, although it’ll be hard to get the travel and bigger wheels into a smaller frame. I don’t see dirtjumpers riding them though! I also think that a year ago I’d have been quicker on my local trails on a 29er – I think that now the combination of lack of space, tight turns and higher speeds and more active riding would mean I couldn’t manhandle a 29er around fast enough, as I’m already throwing the 26er around pretty damned hard!

Horses for courses (and riders)!

bigrich

that dirt test shouldn’t be a about 26v29, it should be an example of being totally overbiked. if they did it on bigger hills, i might be interested. they are all about the bling though.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Quote from Rob Cooksley (reigning Uk Gravity enduro champion)
    “Right on the edge of that (trail bike use),on a 160mm bike that could be quite sketchy”
    But then again what would he know eh? Probably rides over blinged overbiked everywhere…the mincer 😯

chiefgrooveguru

that dirt test shouldn’t be a about 26v29, it should be an example of being totally overbiked. if they did it on bigger hills, i might be interested. they are all about the bling though.

Is it really hard to understand that better faster riders go quicker on bigger bikes, on hills where slower mediocre riders wouldn’t go quick enough to reap the benefits of a bigger bike? Probably easier to keep the blinkers on, parrot the usual rubbish and keep telling yourself that you’re super awesome…

jameso

650B will appear in DH soon, some companies are about to test it out at WC level, will be interesting to see what that does to the wheel size debate. I would predict that 650B could kill off 26″ pretty fast but a lot of people laugh when I say that. I say it because a lot of 140mm+ FS bikes are going that way and we all know ‘everyone’ loves a hardtail that’s like a 140mm+ FS bike ) and the LT HT seems like it would be the 26″ MTB’s last stand in the UK.

Rorschach
    Free Member

jameso

squiff
    Free Member

29ers hype by the mags and marketing by the industry, real mtbers ride 26″.

But I still might get one 😉

bol

Bol, What are you riding?
    I’m 6’4″ and perched on top of a 26″ hard tail and trance.
    Solaris curious!
    Thanks, Tim

I’ve got an XL Solaris and a large Niner RIP 9. I’m long in the leg and short in the body, and both fit me really well for their purpose with 70mm stems.

stanleigh
    Free Member

In an XC situation 29ers are much quicker for the same amount of effort , feels like cheating in Gorricks when you belt past 26ers!

Going back to a 26er , you then realise how much harder you have to work just to keep up.

Yes , a 29er can be marginally slower in super twisty stuff , but this is a few hundred metres at most in a typical 8 mile lap.

For simply crossing XC ground at speed , there is no competition !

69er
    Free Member

I love these threads, but I just can’t make my mind up… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘26" just feels wrong after 29"’ is closed to new replies.