• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by duir.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 26 inch hardtail, long, low, slack
  • stupot
    Free Member

What is there? Slack, 130-140 ish.
    Reverb compatible? Frame only
    Not mega money.
    Any suggestions? What ya got?

Northwind

The ragleys aren’t that long by 2016 standards but they’re not terribly short, a mk1 Pig or an Mmmbop is 1140mm in medium and 410mm of reach (as measured by me so is a bit imprecise, but indicative)

poah
    Free Member

dartmoor hornet

stupot
    Free Member

Isn’t the Radley a 27.2 seatpost?

chrishc777
    Free Member

BluePig if you want to pedal, Slackline if you want to smash DH runs, 456 if you’re on a budget IMO

kayak23

Transition Trans-am? Not sure how long it is mind.

chiefgrooveguru

If you want long and low you’re probably best off getting a 27.5 frame and putting 26″ wheels. You may need an angleset to get slack with a shorter 26″ fork. On the 27.5 frames look at the BB drop figure – 40-45mm is about the limit of rideability with 26s before you’ll get overwhelmed by pedal strikes. A 130mm 27.5 frame will fit a 140mm 26 fork whilst keeping the angles constant, with the 26″ wheels dropping the BB height by 12.5mm. A Bird Zero TR will definitely work or a Mondraker or Orange – everything else I can think of is rather short.

stupot
    Free Member

Chief, interesting you should mention the bird, I’m trying to talk myself out of hammering the credit card on a Am similar to yours!
    Think a 27.5 with 26 wheels would be very prone to pedal strike

Northwind

stupot – Member

Isn’t the Radley a 27.2 seatpost?

The Pig X is 30.9 IIRC, the Mmmbop is 31.6. And the Ti, but they’re expensive and scarce.

The original Pig is 27.2 if you get a good one and 27.3 otherwise, the later ones went bigger but I’m not sure when.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s a great bike! And riding it has made me ride my Spitfire better too – I’ll never be the quickest rider in the world but I was inordinately chuffed to get into the top few percent of Stravaists on a particularly rocky descent at Afan which was a UKGE stage in 2014 so had had plenty of fast riders down it.

A stock Zero AM is 45mm BB drop – my modded one is 55mm BB drop so the BB height is basically the same as if you ran 26″ wheels and 160mm forks. I was running 175mm cranks but I changed to 165mm a few days ago due to my faulty knee – don’t think I’ve had a strike since but conversely I wasn’t striking pedals any more often than on my Spitfire before. I think we forget how low the BB gets on a modern full-sus when you’re riding it hard!

edward2000
    Free Member

Think a 27.5 with 26 wheels would be very prone to pedal strike

I run a bird zero with 26 inch wheels and I can’t tell the difference, nobody noticed and no kittens died. Not struck the pedals any more than normal either. You would only lose about 15mm of clearance anyway?

Rorschach
    Free Member
    timmys

Slackline yo.

chiefgrooveguru

Slackline is lovely but not really long, low or slack in the modern sense – like this:

stupot
    Free Member

Yep, looking at all the geometry figures, the bird is definitely all of the above (especially compared to most suggestions above). on the test ride I was really impressed with the level of traction for cornering.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Blue Pig and I love it

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Reading posts like this make me miss my Chumba.
    And my Stiffee.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Slackline might not be the longest or slackest thing out there but I think they ride really well. I love the 853 version that I had which I thought was so much better than the BFe it replaced. Personally, I wouldn’t write it off.

I’ve been caught up in the world of super low / slack/ long bikes and disregarded some older bikes for a while. I recently built up an old Demo 8 for mucking about on and I really like it. And I mean really like it. It’s not slack compared to a modern DH bike…in fact its only a tad slacker than my Rune was with an offset bush. Shorter too. But you know what, I really like it and feel happy / confident on it. Even on the lesser DH runs I’m quicker on it than I was on my Rune.

stupot
    Free Member

So what size slackline should I be riding at 5ft10?
    Been offered a cheap one so tempted to give it a try…

bigad40
    Free Member

Just get the slackline. You could ride either size.
    It’s awesome.
    Confident and rips corners apart.
    Reduced my travel from 150 to 130 and it felt pin sharp!

shredder
    Free Member

Full Slackline going in classified’s shortly. 😀

stupot
    Free Member

Ummm…was really only looking at a frame, but maybe interested…will keep eyes on the classified!

wiggles
    Free Member

Dialled alpine

Scamper
    Free Member

How slack do you really need? I think the slackline has a pre-sagged 66.5 Ha with 140 forks, although it can run 160 with no issues at all, unlike a Bfe.

richardkennerley

I’ll be putting a Slackline 631 frame on eBay soon…..

dekadanse
    Free Member

456 Ti (mk1)………quite affordable now.

stupot
    Free Member

Richard, might be interested, if you want to avoid eBay. Email in profile. Can’t see yours…

duir
    Free Member

The Stanton Slackline comes up way too short in reach by about 40mm so I am not sure if thats any use to you if you want long. I had one and that was one of my complaints, the others were no stealth routing and it needed to be a degree or two slacker if run at 140mm. It also rusted on the inside like crazy so if you removed the bottom bracket the whole inside shell was orange and orange fluid escaped the drain holes in the frame after a wet ride. After mine got chipped the outside of the frame under the paint could also be seen to be rusting heavily.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘26 inch hardtail, long, low, slack’ is closed to new replies.