Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 26" in frames that can take 26" or 27.5"; much difference? (Dartmoor Hornet)
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Does a bike that can take ‘both’ wheel sizes feel okay with 26″?Does it make much difference or can you use the same argument as people do when talking about wheel size and say it’s actually very small and big or small tyres make the same difference to wheel diameter.?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally the big rubber/small rubber argument is a bit of a strange one.
    If the bike is based around the idea of a chunky tyre etc. your not going to go running 1.95’s in it.

Put the smaller wheels in and you will have a lower BB etc. how that impacts the bike will really depend which one they designed it or optimised it for – you can’t optimise for both.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have run my Norco LT with 1.95 and 2.3 (although they both came up big). That’s quite a difference.

I can’t imagine that asking the frame makers would help as I’d expect a “we designed the frame to be great with both…” reply.

I haven’t missed something obvious in thinking the BB will be 3/4″ lower. The wheelbase and other geom will stay the same.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wheelbase will be slightly shorter I think due to the smaller wheel. Are you running 26″ or 650b forks?

Assuming this is going to be a 650b frame with 26″ parts question??

kerley
    Free Member

Wheelbase is measured from axle to axle isn’t it? Wheel or tyre size has no impact on wheel base.

The only change will be the BB height and rider centre of gravity as whole bile will go up or down slightly.

Even if you do notice the difference a 13mm larger radius wheel would make the difference would be forgotten after a ride or two. I prefer to be as low as possible so would use 26 wheels to start with, but generally I think people are overthinking the difference between 26 and 27.5.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Tyre Contact patch will be differ.

Merlot
    Free Member

I am not sure it helps, but I have just put 26″ wheels on my 27.5 van nic tuareg. In theory there is quite a bit wrong as I am also using 26″ forks with 130mm of travel on a frame supposedly designed for 100mm forks. However having ridden it twice since Sunday on riverpath trails it feels absolutely fine, well balanced and responsive. Looks like a normal bike too. To be honest at this stage if I didn’t know it has the wrong wheels I really wouldn’t have noticed. Hopefully at the weekend I’ll give it a proper test and report back.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s not so much

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s not so much

rob2
    Free Member

I use 26″ wheels in a new heckler and it’s fine. BB is a touch low but overall it works fine.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

With the Hornet it’s not so much 26″ on 650b as 26″ on a bike supposed to do both wheel sizes.

Sounds like it’s a good option and the tapered head tube and ability to fit larger wheel in it make it more future proof without me needing to buy frame forks and wheels in one go.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Wheelbase will be slightly shorter

No, no change to wheelbase but trail will be reduced. I’m using 26″ wheels in a Bird Zero (until I change them) and have no problems. 26 and 27.5 do feel a little different and I do prefer the 27.5 so will be changing my rims but it isn’t such a big difference that I’m in a big rush, I have a 650b bike I could swap the wheels from if I really wanted.

poah
    Free Member

I’m running a hornet with 26inch wheels and fork. there will be a slight change in BB hight, bar hight and HA due to longer 650b fork. on the plus side you’ll have a lower stand over hight and lighter parts lol.

thepodge
    Free Member

Dirt stuck standard (not 650+) 650 in a 29er and loved it.

HERE

Experiment a bit and have fun.

br
    Free Member

I haven’t missed something obvious in thinking the BB will be 3/4″ lower.

1/2″, as 27.5 is really only 27 as opposed to 26.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/650B-wheel-size-comparison-diagram.jpg

BillOddie

I put 26in wheels and fork on On-One 45650B frame for the wife.

BB is quite low but she seems to like it.

I have given it a blast round the block and it certainly seems fun!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Sounds like the Hornet will be grand with 26″.

I have 26″ everything (forks, wheels, saddle etc) so head angle will be the same.

b r – those lying buggers. Never seen that image before. Makes me care less about wheel size!

Hornet, here I come.

That’s just whetting my appetite more Poah. Pleased? Looks good and muddy anyway.

ThePodge – an interesting read. Sadly experimenting costs £’s!

molgrips
    Free Member

I have often wondered about 27.5 on my Patriot. But then even if it fits, I’d have to move the shock mount to avoid seat tube tyre strikes, which means higher BB, and then the whole bike would be higher anyway because of the wheels, and I think it’s not worth bothering.

poah
    Free Member

I’m very happy with the bike so far although I’ve not ridden much since I built it. all my stuff was 26 (coming from a 150mm FS bike) and wanted a frame to put it on. considered the bird AM but the hornet was less than half the price and is built stronger.

cookeaa

You’ll be 12mm lower, yes wheelbase obviously stays the same, in theory the steering ‘trail’ will be marginally reduced, not too sure how much that would really affect handling…

TBH I can’t really see any problem with trying it…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘26" in frames that can take 26" or 27.5"; much difference? (Dartmoor Hornet)’ is closed to new replies.