Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 26" gravel tyre – my first ever what tyre? thread
  • thenorthwind

26″ gravel tyres – what’s out there?

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Compass Rat Trap Pass.

Get them from here

Read more about the tyres and what they were designed for here.

Link

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bonty LT3 they are good got a pair of 26″x1.6 if you are passing Cheltenham you can have them for a £10 hardly used.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sirromj

My 26″ commuter has a well worn pair of 1.9″ hutchinson cobra hardskin, very reliable, rarely puncture, and a bit more tread than those up there; but still nice fast rolling on roads. done a number of 50~60 mile road rides this year on them, some with mixed XC, just take it easy on wet twisty trails.

thenorthwind

Cheers for the replies.

I’m sure the Compass ones are lovely, but £53 for a tyre?! That’s more than I paid for my frame.

The Bontys look good, thanks for the offer, would you consider posting them? I’m in Newcastle and unlikely to be near Cheltenham anytime soon. Bit of a faff since they’re wired, I know.

The Hutchinsons look good but they don’t seem to make them anymore so difficult to get hold of.

Others I’m looking at are the Vittoria Adventure Trail, £12 an end from Rose, and the Schwalbe CX Pro (not really a gravel tyre, wondering how they’d fare), £14 an end from CRC.

redstripe
    Free Member

Been using Schwalbe CX Pro’s on an old mtb for years, hardly wear, roll well and no punctures (touch wood), thoroughly recommended for crap roads/gravel type riding.

kerley
    Free Member

Not a “gravel” specific tyre but Geax Mescal TNT are great for easy offload. They are fast, tubeless and very puncture resistant. Come in a narrowish 1.9.

Was using them all last summer and they were perfect. They were also only £9 each at Planet X but they seem to have sold them and only have 2.3 now.

I live in New Forest so pretty much all my riding could be described as gravel and I find semi slick or XC race MTB tyres to be the best for it

onandon
    Free Member

I use Kenda Klimax on my 26 inch wheels gravel bike. Decent on road and pretty capable off road.

thenorthwind

Good to hear that about the Schwalbe ones. I’m really happy with the City Jets on my roadgoing bike – the same tyre with a few small blocks would be ideal. Also haven’t had a puncture with them yet (also touch wood).

Planent X are listing those Geax as both 1.9 and 2.3. Standard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘26" gravel tyre – my first ever what tyre? thread’ is closed to new replies.