• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benz.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 26" frame for my mates lad (nothing about (potentially) being ripped off thread)
  • benz
    Free Member

Like many folks on here, I’ve managed to accumulate many ‘spares’.

My mates lad would like a bike built up and I’m happy to clear the garage plus avoid his Dad spending money as he’s recently felt the impact of staff cuts in the O&G industry.

So….the bit I am missing is a hardtail frame which will take 26″ wheels and 130mm travel forks?

Any recommendations for cheap as chips options?

ade9933
    Free Member

how tall is the kiddo.

I will be in a similar situation soon so interested… I might fancy FS for bike park days too tho.

batteryhorsestaple
    Free Member

If you’ve got a straight steerer then there was a Dialled frame in the classifieds for about £100ish this/last week. Otherwise got to be hundreds of early generation inbreds knocking around for next to nothing (but you can’t have mine).

mattyfez

If its a straight steer..On one inbred.. think they are rated for 120mm. Bee reet if set up well.

Either that or a second hand frame.
    R
    There’s a few more options if the fork is tapered

ads678

Can you drop the travel on the forks a bit? If so on one Inbred.

Edit: beaten to it!!

acidchunks

Have a look in the Pink Bike Classifieds, lots of hard tail 26 frames going for reasonable amounts

For example this Wanga will take a 130mm fork

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1976766/

18″ frame though so could be on the large side

ctk
    Free Member

I bought a kinesis pha5e 5 on ebay for less than £50. Its awesome, things like it fo cone up cheap sonetimes- just keep an eye out.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I have an emaculate Boardman Comp 19″ hardtail along with pretty much everything else bar forks, brakes. If any of it is of interest? Mostly SRAM x7/9 and truvativ cranks.. Email in profile

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look for a cove stiffee frame. Geometry far ahead of its day and tough as old boots.

ade9933
    Free Member

cotic ? I picked up a 2nd hand one for a ton a while back.

depending on the kids size strength then you might want something specifically light

Shackleton

What size frame do you need? I have an 18″/large vgc dark blue 456 inbred frame doing very little that you could have cheap.

I’m in Dundee if that helps at all.

pickle
    Free Member

Get him one of these….

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456E2/on-one-456-evo2-frame

superb frames, absolutely love mine and it rides so well.

mega bargain

beamishblue

I’m selling a 19″ Dialled Prince Albert Classic (853) if that suits?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There mist be hundredsi fnit thoisands of old bikes in sheds from which you could liberate the frame. My 10yr old Specilaised Hardrock frame is sound, its all the bits which are worn. I can’t imagine it would be hard to buy something similar from ebay etc for £50 max

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’m selling an 18″ Dialled Alpine, sounds like it would be perfect 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

How tall’s the lad? I’ve just bought an older Commencal Absolut Al frame for £30 inc. post off ebay, you have it for the same if you like. Single speed with sliding dropouts (or make an adapter to take a mech) though.

Northwind

NOT an inbred imo, they’re inexplicably overpriced used and they ride orrible with 130mm forks (yes they’re approved for it, doesn’t matter, it’s still a 100mm xc bike with too much fork)

I’m holding onto mine as it’s my official Spare Frame but there’s usually loads of Carrera Fury and Kraken frames knocking about for peanuts. It’s not a cool brand but mine rides way better than my 26er scandal did (they generally used the same geometry for the Vulcan, Kraken and Fury, with the Kraken and Fury getting more butting- some came with 100mm forks but were designed around 130mm)

kayla1
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot I’ve got a silver/gunmetal 18″ Carrera something-or-other you can have for nowt if you can collect it, or pay for postage. I’m near Durham.

DanW
    Free Member

18 inch On One Scandal in black with a Hope headset for free here if anyone wants it. Not ideal for 130 forks though sadly

benz
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Really need 17″ max frame size, being 1.7m height with 30″ inside leg.

Don’t laugh but found a 2007 Giant Terrago trail frame in the garage loft. Another mates old bike. Medium frame so might just work.

So…

1 X 10 Deore
    Rev 426 forks
    Crossride wheels
    Deore hydro brakes

However, the Commencal could also figure…

Dan, would you be happy to post the Scandal at cost plus I’d make a charitable donation. I also have 100mm travel forks….

andyl
    Free Member

I think you can space the Rev 426’s down to 100mm.

filks

DanW – if Benz doesn’t take the scandal frame I have a friend who would be really interested.

DanW
    Free Member

In addition to the Scandal, I also have a Medium Commencal Nuts VIP Team XC frame going free. If anyone can collect from Bath that would be preferable otherwise I can post…

MoreCashThanDash

Got an Inbred frame to hang my spares for MCJnr. Currently keeping an eye out for bits on classifieds to lighten it for him.

Straight steerer forks were the hard things to find.

filks

DanW – my mate really would like to take the scandal frame off your hands if it’s not gone to Benz. Would need to be posted though which he’d clearly pay for
    Thanks

benz
    Free Member

DanW,

Thanks for your generosity, much appreciated.

Appears the lad has grown a tad more so I naively thought he was my height. I underestimated.

So….plan is to build an xc bike and make it as light as I can. So the light 100mm forks will be used.

If the Scandal is black then that would be fantastic, but either frame will work just fine. Let me know how much to post. I’ll also make a charitable donation.

How best to make contact?

Thanks!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘26" frame for my mates lad (nothing about (potentially) being ripped off thread)’ is closed to new replies.