Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • 26" Cotic Rocket owners past and present, a question for you.
  • Mugboo

I’ve bought a medium 26″ Rocket without a shock, I’ve fitted my DB inline which is 200 x 57.
    The lug on the seat tube which holds the main pivot for the drop link appears to contact the seatstay brace slightly on the left side, anybody else had this issue?
    I have slid a piece of paper in without air in the shock it is removable but when I add air it tears so definitely touching.

Obviously one I’m sat on it it won’t touch but presumably will as the shock extends?

I’ve emailed Cotic for their opinion.

Poopscoop

Hi mate, the guys on here will be more likely to be able to help if you can post a pic of the problem?

They are very visually orientated.lol

Mugboo

[/url][/img]

rossburton
    Free Member

Mine does that and I haven’t died yet.

Mugboo

Thanks Poopscoop, its the white cross brace that is touching the black lug.

Without the shock in there is nothing to stop the two clunking together but with the shock in place I can’t hear it making contact but it is definitely touching on the non drive side, on the drive side there is just enough clearance to allow light through.

Its been used since 2013 so its probably not a problem but I don’t want to waste my time building it up if going to make an annoying knocking noise.

Mugboo

Thanks rossburton, does yours actually touch?

rossburton
    Free Member

From memory, barely if I’m not actually on the bike. I think the movement means that’s the closest it gets.

Mugboo

Thanks, this actually touches. I presume once my little beer belly is on the bike it’ll be fine.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Chuffing close but not touching on mine. I think I’ve read of cases where some have and Cy had suggested a resolution… can’t remember what though!

skybluestu
    Free Member

I’ve got this bike but not experienced that. Every question I’ve had is always addressed by Paul at Cotic very promptly. Amazing customers service.

nickkent
    Free Member

I just went and checked mine. Looks like a 3-4mm gap. Offset bushes?

Mugboo

Shock hardware is standard and brand new. Shock is freshly serviced and 200 x 57.

Previous owner has removed the web between the ends of the seatstay as per Cotic instructions and I can’t feel any play anywhere. Bearings are smooth and at least some if not all are new.

Mugboo

And Paul has been great and will no doubt email tomorrow to say it’s not an issue but I thought I’d ask you lot in the meantime

rossburton
    Free Member

What’s this web on the seatstay? Mine was second hand so what am I looking for?

nixie

I’ve just fitted a dB inline to my large 26″ rocket. Haven’t noticed the frame making contact anywhere. I do however think the seat stay shock mount might be slightly ovalised.

Where is the seat stay web? Unless mine has already had it removed I don’t think I have this.

Mugboo

Between the ends of the seatstays, behind the the end of the shock, there was a thin web that joined them?.
    If you look at the photo, if the web was still there it would be a white patch covering the end of the shock.

nixie

Found a picture.

Mugboo

There’s the web and that stay looks like it’s touching too.

grip
    Free Member

That looks about right from my memory /\ – It never made any clunking or odd sounds when I had it. Hopefully Cotic will be able to confirm. The suggestion of offset shock bushings might help?

Mugboo

If I’d bought it with a shock I’d no doubt have just built it up and never noticed.
    I’m sure it won’t be an issue.

nixie

I’ll check mine as I head to bed and post a pic (yes I’m sleeping with the bikes at the moment, thank you non sleeping baby).

Mugboo

Cheers Nixie, I remember those days 😆

rossburton
    Free Member

So I asked Paul about the web thing:

There was a thin web of material between the shock mounts to keep them in line during manufacture, but the factory made the shock mounts 0.25mm wider than we specified and the web could flex enough for the bolts to pinch up the shock mounts, hence now we advise cutting it out. I’ve attached a picture of where to cut.

If it’s been done already and it’s still loose then the shock axle is 0.5mm too long and should be filed down.

Mugboo

Yep, that’s what I was told.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

About 2mm of clearance on mine, but I’ve got an offset bushing in one end of the shock, which will make a difference. (that’s what was supplied from new).

Haven’t removed the wee brace on mine, although tempted to the next time I need a new back end shock reducer as I had a hell of a job getting one sized to fit accurately when there’s no “give” in the frame.

nixie

Hard to see in the picture but there is a gap, about 1-2mm.

Mugboo

Paul says they run close and to tighten the shock with the wheels on the ground rather than in the stand.

Thanks for the help and advice folks.

nixie

Hmm that shouldn’t make any difference but worth a try.

Out of interest have any of you past/present rocket 26 owners tried or moved onto a rocket 650b or flare? Considering changing mine as I have 650b forks and front wheel on it.

Mugboo

Nixie, what travel are your forks?

nixie

Set at 150mm currently but can adjust with spacers.

Mugboo

Cheers mate

kayak23

Out of interest have any of you past/present rocket 26 owners tried or moved onto a rocket 650b or flare? Considering changing mine as I have 650b forks and front wheel on it.

I’ve never had the 26″ version but one test ride on the 650 version and I bought one. Fantastic bike.

nixie

As is the 26″. If I’m honest I have no ‘good’ reason for want the 650b version other than perhaps BB height (as the 650b front wheel did raise the front). If there is marginally difference then it’s harder to justify the costs of changing. For riding around here the flare would be better suited but the rocket feels so nice I’m loathed to go shorter and risk loosing that.

Mugboo, I’m running Marzocchi 350NCR’s. At 150mm they have the same length as the max 160mm fork specified in the Rocket 26 manual (assuming use of a 26″ wheel). So it basically runs at the 160mm geometry but with 150mm travel. I’ve gone one step further though as I needed a new rim and now have a 650b front wheel. Really I should lower the fork to 140mm to bring the geometry back into check but it still rides nicely as it is. Only think I notice is being a bit harder to get onto, however some of this may be down to having my seat set at optimum pedalling height due to having a longer dropper.

Mugboo

I’ve got a 160mm 26″ Pike to go on it so should be good to go.

Struggled with getting Reverb routing sorted tonight but it seems I need to run it along the top tube and shorten the hose.

I got a gap by tightening the shock bolts out of the stand but it’s disappeared and I think there is still a little bit of play. So I’ll file down the shock axles and try again..

Poopscoop

Sounds like your getting there bud!

I reckon once it’s built the Constance issue probably, well, won’t be. I did get it though, I’m a real stickler for detail. I like things to be spot on.

I bought a cheap digital caliper for measuring various bike parts with very small tolerances. Paid for its small cost many times over already.

Might be worth getting one for things like the length of bushes for the shock etc?

Either way, keep us posted with the build, be good to see the built up bike! 😀

Poopscoop

Meant clearance issue, not Constance! Lol

nixie

You could try a washer as well. If you fit one bolt to the shock axle then fit a washer with a larger ID than the axle before inserting it into the frame that would take up any extra axle length. Easier than filing it down.

It’ll be worth it when you get there :D.

Mugboo

Problem solved, my crappy Inline failed again so I’ve replaced it with a Fox. I now have clearance.
    Very odd as both shocks are the same size.

kayla1
    Free Member

Does the 26″ Rocket have bottle cage mounts?

nixie

Problem solved, my crappy Inline failed again so I’ve replaced it with a Fox. I now have clearance.
    Very odd as both shocks are the same size.

I’ve just gone the other way!

Does the 26″ Rocket have bottle cage mounts?

Yes, above the shock mounted to the underside of the top tube where the seat tower brace joins.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘26" Cotic Rocket owners past and present, a question for you.’ is closed to new replies.