Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 26 ain't dead content
  • mattyfez

Just casualy pondering frames, if I were to buy new, pipedream scion or cotic bfe 26er?

What would you choose and why?

psycorp
    Free Member

Bfe.

More modern geo.

montgomery
    Free Member

The Pipedreams all have the same length head tube for the different frame sizes. Lazy.

epicyclo

Surly 1×1.

flattyre
    Free Member

Pipedream, better geometry. One of those bikes that just feels spot on from first ride (had Sirius, Scion and Soul).

RobHilton
    Free Member

BFe, because I like to do silly things sometimes that require a tougher frame :mrgreen:

mattyfez

Interesting mix of opinion so far, thanks lol!
    The Bike won’t be used for dh or stunt riding, I’m after an xc/trail frame with a 1/8 120 fork.

The bfe looks a little like a BMX frame to me, at least that’s what they portray it on the website and I’m quite tall, 6’3 and 16 stone if that makes any difference.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sounds like a BFe isn’t what you require – they are made for abuse, really.

Not that you have to have to ride like a loon on one, but something less solid will likely be a bit nicer to ride.

mattyfez

It’s weird, I basically bought a cheap bike 2 years ago, but it’s now running a £600 carbon /hope wheel set, and some £250 forks, so I’m thinking I’ll upgrade the frame rather than sack it all off and buy a new bike.

mattyfez

I didn’t realise when I bought the bike that it was ‘obscelete’.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s **** silly! Although it does mean there’s a ton of choice for cheap in the 2nd hand market. 🙂

colournoise

2nd hand Soul?

nwill1
    Free Member

2nd hand Stanton Slackline Ti? Saw one for about £500 recently, £999 new 😉

mattyfez

I’d be tempted to grab a second hand soul, but it would have to be an L or XL, pretty thin on the ground, most second hand frames seem to be mediums or look trashed 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Where’s that?

mattyfez

EBay, pink bike, Gumtree, all the usual suspects.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use my BFe fir the vast majority of my riding xc to “dh” trails. The bike can do everything. I’ve been tempted to get a used Soul just tontry out in addition to the BFe. Last 2 second hand 2012 Soul 26-ers frames )inc headsets) I have bid on have been in good nick and have sold for £185 and £245

My experience with the BFe has truned me into a Cotic fan and I am always looking at their bikes

hora
    Free Member

Is it full 853 or just the front triangle?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like a BFe isn’t what you require – they are made for abuse, really.

How about a 2nd hand soul… I think the BFe was for people who liked to think the soul wasn’t tough enough for them 😉

PJay
    Free Member

I love my Scion; it’s a great frame. I’ve never ridden a Soul so can’t compare I’m afraid.

The Scion only has a straight 1 1/8 head tube though (the Sirius is tappered).

katoomer
    Free Member

I have a Dartmoor Hornet and it is the bike that makes me smile the most, and a new frame is less than £200.

It is burley and it supports up to 170mm forks, 26 or 650B wheels. It has an emphasis for the downs but it can climb well too. 🙂

http://m.pinkbike.com/u/its-sam/blog/2015-dartmoor-hornet-review.html

Euro
    Free Member

How about a 2nd hand soul… I think the BFe was for people who liked to think the soul wasn’t tough enough for them

Gotta agree with Mike. Not rode either but there aren’t that many riders that are pushing modern MTB HT frames to the point of breaking (crashing or manu fault not included).

poah
    Free Member

have a look for a older dartmoor primal or even consider a bird tr too.

pickle
    Free Member

Not sure if your fork stearer is straight or not, but if it is then the 456 EVO 2 is a great frame for the money.

Love mine and it rides so well.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for the Slackline: loved my 853 which I thought was a much, much nicer bike to ride than my BFe. The BFe is tough a nails, but I thought it felt heavy, dead and hash to ride. The Slackline felt much lighter and less harsh.

Depending in budget, there are some bargain (relatively speaking) Ti frames knocking about.

ahwiles
    Free Member

why not a 650 frame? – your wheels/forks will fit, it’ll all work.

the BB will be a little lower than intended, but some fashionably large tyres will fix that.

canopy
    Free Member

go FS 🙂

i’d look for the most modern geo FS frame as poss. secondhand or whatever.. (thats what i’d do if i broke the frame on my ’10 sc superlight)

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the BFe was for people who liked to think the soul wasn’t tough enough for them

I was going to buy a Soul but BFe was on sale £300 vs £450 plus the BFe is rated for longer travel forks 8)

kerley
    Free Member

Don’t rule out 650B frames as said above (remember they are built around a wheel that is only 13mm larger in radius than a 26″)

If it were me, I would pick up a used Ti 26″ frame which is what I did 18 months ago (for £250) and can’t see me ever changing it as it is far nicer than any steel frame I have owned.

JAG

My experience with the BFe has turned me into a Cotic fan

Me too.

I’ve got two at the moment. A blue one for straight steerer forks and a green one that will take tapered forks. I’ve just got the green one and I’m in the process of transferring all the bits to it along with some X-Fusion Slant forks.

BFe will do everything and is so well built you have no excuses for not tackling anything – ever!

hora
    Free Member

How about a carbon evo 456? Can you run one of these as a hybrid. Bfes just strike me as heavy and solid.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I think the BFe was for people who liked to think the soul wasn’t tough enough for them

My BFe earlier 😛

Although Euro is right – I’d still have it if I wasn’t a tree-magnet

the BFe is rated for longer travel forks

Longer forks do not a better ride make – mine were only wound out in that^ pic to help assess damage. They were **** 😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘26 ain't dead content’ is closed to new replies.