Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 2.5yr old- sudden tantrums. Help
  • hora
    Free Member

Is this normal? Started at the weekend, he went from being a happy little soul to a sheer nightmare.

Started with wanting my Muffin, normally he’d happily share. He decided to run off down the coffee shop twice as he wanted it all for himself. throwing clothes around, basically throwing everything. Yesterday at nursery he ‘wasn’t himself’ – sullen. On his own in the play yard when I went to pick him up.

I think the key word is sullen then non-stop crying. Its not him at all.

Is this normal?! I heard of terrible 2’s but I thought we’d been through that (minor STW’type behaviour). 😆

wallop

I bet he gets it off his Dad 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sounds familiar 😆 My eldest turned 3 at the beginning of Aug. About 5-6 months previous to this is when the terrible 2s kicked in. There are times I have to stifle my amusment though. I am out of area until Dec so hopefully it will have passed when I get home 😀 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Any jobs going in Aberdeen, Iraq or Japan?

samuri
    Free Member

You know that the key to terminating this behaviour the quickest is to completely ignore it?

Reward good behaviour, ignore the bad. It’ll stop all the quicker if you just pretend it’s not happening.

Or just point and laugh.

Drac

2 year old and tantrums ay, no that’s never happened before.

My eldest never did but my youngest did and still on are occasion does. Ignoring them worked for me or taking them away from the audience.

mogrim

Perfectly normal, best thing to do is to video it, save it for when he brings his first girlfriend home.

Second best thing to do is to ignore it.

hora
    Free Member

Thats what mrshora said. Issue is when he does a runner. Its all sudden. Happy yesterday playing in the tents at Go-Outdoor then suddenly turned and disapeared in a sulk. Normal?!

molgrips
    Free Member

Have a calm quiet stern word with him, and keep doing it til he gives in. Difficult when he’s screaming the place down, but try and find a way to have the quiet confrontation where it’s not going to annoy everyone e else. Be prepared to leave toe coffee shop with muffins un eaten if necessary.

sparkyrhino

Shout and scream at the top of your voice at the child ,seems to work for my nextdoor neighbour..

bren2709

Welcome to my world!

“shut up daddy, go read your iPad”!

samuri
    Free Member

Happy yesterday playing in the tents at Go-Outdoor then suddenly turned and disapeared in a sulk. Normal?!

Completely.

I still do that now.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

As a connected aside…

The full moon.

Does it effect your kids?

Mine seem to play up and/or are unsettled at night on a full moon.

I’m not surprised Hora’s little boy has started his terrible twos now… I bet in a weeks time he’ll calm down

Hora check for any excess body hair … apart from needing a hair cut my little boy is OK but, strangley enough, he does have an incisor just poking through his top gum.

hora
    Free Member

He gets it from his mum

wallop

What, excess body hair?

binners

Is the standard answer to everything a shouted “NO!!!!”? With the addition of feet stamping for added effect?

Just do exactly the same when he asks for anything. It’ll soon stop

Or maybe not…

😉

hora
    Free Member

Yes, hes a bearded-baby. His mum is known as the bearded lady of Chorlton-Borders 😆

cookeaa

Yep it happens, part of it is “Boundary testing” part of it is probably a shift in sleeping patterns and hence tiredness is a trigger too.

Ours is three and we still get it from time to time, stroppy shouting and jumping up and down followed by jumping up and down and wailing on the floor, the key is not to react too strongly or seem like you are giving in at all, be firm but calm they get the message eventually.

You dealt with a bout of the “Night Terrors” yet? Thats much worse IMO…

aleigh
    Free Member

He’s a kid, it’s normal…..and it gets worse 😆

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Child 1 – fine

Child 2 – tantrums, “no” to everything, hits/bites, refuses to do anything. If he times it correctly, eg: getting other child to school or trying to get back to car before getting a ticket, it can be quite testing. We got a tazer off eBay and that seems to have done the trick.

DrP

Perfectly normal!
    He’s realised he’s in ‘control’ (to a degree) of his life and actions, and is testing his and your boundaries!

Ours is like that – lovely lad 90% of the time, a right git the rest!

“I don’t like you daddy”, “go away daddy” etc etc!
    Stay calm, but stay in control….
    Carrying him screaming through Tesco like a sack of potatoes was my most recent ‘shall we call child-line’ moment!

DrP

hora
    Free Member

Night terrors- been through that. That was FUN. Loved every moment of it. 🙄

hels
    Free Member

What kind of creepy-arse potatoes does your Tesco sell DrP ??

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora-child?

martymac

mine had started by the time she was 2, she once went the full length of our living room (about 25 feet) on her stomach like a caterpillar whilst screaming her head off.
    i was ill laughing.

beefheart
    Free Member

Irritability, sudden mood swings, uncharacteristic behaviour?

It sounds like he is on drugs. Have you noticed any strange smells from his room, or money going missing?

hora
    Free Member

Wow totally back to normal. Wierd.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Spare the rod and spoil the child !

Take him fishing !

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘2.5yr old- sudden tantrums. Help’ is closed to new replies.