Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 25L 'daysack' – what's good?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking to downsize from my Berghaus Freeflow 30+6L.
    Doesn’t have to be bang-on 25L.
    Must have a flow of air between back and sack (phnar phnar)
    Must be able to attach hiking poles (for when not in use)
    Padded hip belt would be good too.

Tried a Lowe Alpine Airzone 25 at G.O earlier which I liked.
    Deuter and Osprey do nice packs too but not tried those.
    Anyone have anything similar or able to recommend anything?

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/wanderer-20-litre-rucksack-p13837.aspx/black

just bought that, canny really fault it. Only thing that’s slightly annoying is the zip occasionally getting stuck in the fabric mind on the large top compartment. comfortable to cycle with.

only had it a few weeks, so can’t attest to it’s longevity.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks seo – I have always found their prices interesting TBH.
    There’s no way some of that stuff is worth the claimed RRP though so I find some of their ‘sale’ prices distorted too. I hope yours proves to be a good buy but think I’d prefer to stick with the Lowe Alpine – cheers

jimw
    Free Member

I had a similar requirement a year ago, tried quite a few in shops which is not always a good test of how they feel in use. I ended up with the Airzone trail 25 following a recommendation from a friend and It is the most comfortable small pack I have worn.
    Highly recommended

km79
    Free Member

Go to somewhere that stocks Osprey and try some on.

drumon

Osprey, “talon” ? I think?

Comfy.

CaptainSlow

Osprey axis – edit probably too small and not outdoorsy enough. It’s more of a family day out / commuter pack.

matt_outandabout

My Vaude Bike 25 is now 20 years old and refuses to die. It’s comfy, simple one hole job, in on trend Enduro-Gnar like green and black. It’s not the most stable I’ve used (Berghaus limpit was), but it just *works*.
    Of course you can’t buy it any more. 😉
    It does reflect Vaude’s quality and simplicity though. Worth a look.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Osprey Talon 22

cinnamon_girl
    househusband

Vaude used to make a series of backpacks specifically for the British market, called the Triset – sadly it seems they’ve stopped making them. They were available in various sizes and colours – and at great prices too.

Matt; any idea what the current equivalent might be, circa 50litres?

BadlyWiredDog

Osprey Talon 22

+1 for all-round stuff. Or the Stratos 24 if you want more aggressive ventilation.

l45key
    Free Member

Montane Cobra meets your spec. Got one and it’s good.

Flaperon

I have an Osprey Talon. Really like it.

footflaps

We both have Osprey Talons, 22 & 20l IIRC – excellent rucksacks.

vondally
    Free Member

Osprey talon or black diamond

benp1

Osprey stratos here. Older one when they had S, M and L bad sizes, rather than SM or ML. Which is good as I have an L and the ML is too short

Great pack, definitely recommend. Very comfy and certainly airy on my back

duckman

I have had a talon, it does depend on individual fit,but I wouldn’t go back from Deuter now. Because the Talon was so light it didn’t keep its shape all that well when only half full.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thanks seo – I have always found their prices interesting TBH.
    There’s no way some of that stuff is worth the claimed RRP though so I find some of their ‘sale’ prices distorted too. I hope yours proves to be a good buy but think I’d prefer to stick with the Lowe Alpine – cheers

must admit,I really don’t give a ****. 😆

nant
    Free Member

Osprey stratos 26 here as well. They are down to 65 at cotswold outdoor at the moment.

aldo56
    Free Member

Dispense with the faff of an Osprey and get a real rucksack:

http://www.blueice.com/product/warthog-28l-pack/

I’ve got the older green one and it’s bloody brilliant.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Osprey Escapist

Osprey Escapist here. Daily use for 3 years, it still looks pretty new. Used for daily bag + shorter walks, a bit of biking, skiing etc. Really like it. I have a slightly bigger Lowe Alpine climbing pack which is also good. Osprey have great customer service too.

dmck16
    Free Member

Osprey Escapist here. Couple of years old and still good as new.

Used a Deuter before that – got refunded after a few months due to some stitching coming apart.

(so impressed with the Osprey that I bought one of their suitcases too!)

matt_outandabout

Thanks Aldo56- the 50L blueice looks ideal as a replacement for my 1990’s purple Karrimor Alpiniste 60l 8)

aldo56
    Free Member

You’ll not be disappointed Matt, they’re so good I have both sizes of Warthog!

aP
    Free Member

If you want new versions of classic rucksacks then look at Alpine Luddites.

footflaps

as a replacement for my 1990’s purple Karrimor Alpiniste 60l

Just sold a 1st gen Alpiniste 55l on Ebay. They were great in their day, indestructible workhorses, but heavy by modern standards.

rascal
    Free Member

Tried loads of packs this afternoon at Ultimate Outdoors and Cotswold.
    Still really like the Lowe Alpine I tried yesterday but need to try again having tried some since then.
    Found the Deuter packs a bit meh TBH.
    Osprey Escapist 25 left nice on but no poles attachements – deal breaker.
    By far and away the nicest all round one I tried today was the new Osprey Stratos 26. I benefit from using walking poles since I borked my Achilles 3 years ago (which ironically affects my knee more now) and the Stow-on-the-Go feature is neat – means you don’t have to take your pack off to stash your poles on a scramble – also has usual pole loops etc on the front.
    Not a lot in it between the Lowe and the Stratos – apart from the £47 price difference. With G.O pricematch plus 10% the Lowe is £53…Cotswold sell the Stratos for £100 but not looked elsewhere yet.
    D Day tomorrow. Cheers for all the replies.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘25L 'daysack' – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.