Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • £2500 to spend…trails bike wanted! Thoughts please…
  • dconnor84
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a budget of 2500.. I’m basically after an all rounder full sus, capable of trails riding and maybe some DH. I’m no expert and nor do I profess to be but I know that my current ride (Kona Kula) is more suited to typical cross country than the excursions ive been abusing it on! I’ve looked at the alloy Jekylls, the 3 and 4 and also Zesty’s…..

Would just appreciate some advice from more experienced riders… Theres a lot to choose from out there and not all of it has had a review!

Cheers,

Dave

honourablegeorge

Zesty is an excellent all rounder, as is the Stumpjumper. They’d be the two I’d look at.

This thread will now descend into the usual Orange Five argument.

scaled
    Free Member

In true ‘recommend the bike you own’ fashion take a look at the Nukeproof Mega, it’s a lot of bike 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

A friend has just gone from a 5 to a Stumpjumper Evo which rides really nicely. Orange is simple and fun but the stumpy is a better climber, smoother on the downs and still a hoot. Therefore my vote would go stumpy having ridden zesty, five and stumpy. No comment on Jekyll but aren’t they in a different travel camp to the zesty? More Mega, Spec Enduro range? Depends on your ideas of DH but the 150mm trail bikes can still be pretty rapid in the right hands and may be more fun on your usual trails.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’d get this

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2566

£2000, Fox, XTR/XT/DT Swiss wheels, Reverb. Nothing else comes close.

More bike than I’d say you need for the UK but if you are chucking it around why not. Quite a few guys in this parish have them can tell you how they ride.

FuzzyWuzzy

Or the Canyon Strive depending on how much DH you plan on doing, might be overkill a lot of the time but you can still have fun, the bike doesn’t ride itself.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

Remedy 8 is 2.5 RRP but you can get it for a bit less. Very capable 150mm frame (biased).

dreednya

Ibis mojo special blend 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

Cove Hustler?

dconnor84
    Free Member

Thanks for all the posts….

I have to say, that Canyon looks the bollocks and fits the bill nicely!

rewski
    Free Member

ZESTY

molgrips
    Free Member

Take your pick, there are dozens of great bikes to choose from.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As noted there are lots and lots of good bikes in that price range and for that usage, to add a couple to those mentioned above …

Bandit/Covert
    Trance/Reign

FWIW the owner of my LBS was raving about the new model LaPierre’s which will be out soon. The 2012 ones were really good and basically sold out everywhere.

mcboo
    Free Member

…..or go full carbon gucci for £300 more. This is lush

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2753

philstone

+1 for the Ibis Mojo Special Blend – managed to get mine down to around 26lbs without compromising too much strength and it only cost another £200 on top of the Special Blend..

tonyg2003

My LBS is selling it’s 2012 Trek’s off at some great prices. I think that you could get some great bargains for £2.5k at the moment.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

i have a ornage 5 & love it but for 2.5k nothing gets close to the canyon .

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I’d look at Rose rather than Canyon, for no good reason other than I think the Rose bikes are much better looking
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-granite-chief-8-524691/aid:524693

msjhes2
    Free Member

I bought a meta am frameset bundle of crc last weekend and have just about finished building it up with full xt, reverb, haven bars and hope hoops for under 2500. Only thing not brand new are tyres and pedals which I already had lying around

thedon
    Free Member

The thread title may as well have been “What trial bike do you currently ride” because everyone will just tell you exactly that.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I dont ride the bikes I recommend, the op couldn’t afford the bike I ride :mrgreen:

thedon
    Free Member

Or someone will recommended a bike they have never ridden 🙄

bigad40
    Free Member

Stumjumper FSR EVO!
    But I can’t find one in my size…

lister11
    Free Member

Mondraker dune or foxy with 160 up front. Wasn’t 100% convinced till I took it my dune to the mega…..superb. everything from xc – jumps – full DH.

So good.

Think I’d consider a foxy with 160s in the future though, to make the most of the flats where I’m staying right now.

Cheezpleez

Don’t be fooled into thinking more travel = more fun. It really depends on what terrain you’re riding and who with. 140-150mm travel bikes are a lot lighter and pedal better than they used to but there are a huge number of people out there who’d get more from a shorter travel bike for 90+% of their riding. IMHO.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Orange five all day! I have had 3 FSR bikes 1 stumpy 2 enduro including the latest design, I have just dropped travel from 160 Enduro to a 140 Five and I don’t think I am goin any slower dh but its loads quicker goin up and easily more fun to ride!

bland

Get a Rose as they are better looking than a Canyon! Are you on something? This is what you linked to, looks like a college project!

And as for the Canyons, dont be seduced by the XTR chainset, its there to distract you from the fact the frame is utterly uninspiring.

For £2500 you have a chance to buy something that will last you a long time and provide a lot of smiles.

First decide what travel you want, if you ride the peaks then 140/150mm will bring a lot of smiles, if you ride with Rugby MTB club it will bring tears to your eyes.

DO you like maintenance? Do you ride in the peaks? THEN a single pivot is worth having, otherwise dont worry about it!

Have a look in sales or phone dealers who stock what you are after over the next couple of months as the 2013 stock arrives. They will all take at least 30% off with some haggling which is best part of £1000 saving, or look at it another way, your now able to look at £3500-£4000 bikes! They will all have XTR level gear AND decent frames unlike the Canyon.

Lastly, go ride some bikes, try different suspension out and see what you want, you will have more fun on something you are happy with than something you thought was good on a website as it had the all aluring XTR chainset

p.s. I ride a prophet which is a wise mans Five, because it works and i cant find a reason to change it, id prob have a carbon blur in dreamland but kids have put pay to that

patriotpro
    Free Member

mcboo – Member
    …..or go full carbon gucci for £300 more. This is lush

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2753

That is a gorgeous LOOKING thing but suitable for the OP’s needs…No

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘£2500 to spend…trails bike wanted! Thoughts please…’ is closed to new replies.