Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • £25!!! (Warning – old road bike content.)
  • takisawa2

Old Carlton 531 tubed road-bike.
    Picked up at the Scouts jumble. For £25!!.
    My mates chuffed to bits with it. He’s been after an old steel road-bike for ages. Said it rides lovely, just needs a front mech.
    Pleased he’s finally got something. Not even his flashy carbon Planet-X could satisfy his yearning.
    Looking forward to some old-steel road-bike tomfoolery, but probably more “Last of the Summer Wine” than epic tours of south Derbyshire. 🙂

Andy’s £25 Carlton by pten2106, on Flickr

psychle
    Free Member

bargain 🙂

wwaswas

cool.

My first proper bike was a 531c Carlton Carrera with 105 in about 1988. Still miss it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

That is lovely and a proper bargain – the saddle’s worth loads more than £25.00 on it’s own!

I remember those (N)Ever-Ready rear lights as well, remind me so much of Christmas morning as a kid. They worked for about an hour before starting to flicker, and you could never tighten the clamp properly without bending it. Happy days.

epicyclo

Should ride nicely.

rangerbill

Nice, loosing the lights should save about 5kg!
    I’ve found Spa cycles in Harrogate or SJS are good for non shimano transmission spares

john_l
    Free Member

I remember those (N)Ever-Ready rear lights as well, remind me so much of Christmas morning as a kid. They worked for about an hour before starting to flicker, and you could never tighten the clamp properly without bending it. Happy days.

that’s exactly my memory of them too! Happy days indeed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

middlemoor saddles dont seem to hve the same niche following as brookes (and take forever to bed it!)

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have been looking for something like that for a similar bargain price. Even been popping in the tip every other weekend…

oldgit
    Free Member

Bargain.
    They’re a pleasure to ride. I’ve got a 1969 Claud Butler. Nice old large flange wheels.

allthegear
    Free Member

Why did old wheels have that large flange on the hubs?

Lovely bike.

Rachel

s
    Free Member

Please, please tell us he is not going to ss/fixed it?

ononeorange

But it hasn’t even got disc brakes…..

hillsplease

Nice. Large flange hubs were supposed to build a stiffer wheel on account of less spoke to flex. They also looked cool to my 12yr old eye.

Thirded for the ‘Ever Readies’ shockingly bad, weighty etc.

Liking the fluted seatpost and Simplex levers, like being a kid.

Those racks were bad, just about the time Blackburns were coming in – now there is a rack. I need to get out more. Sorry.

Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Carlton Audax in my Grandpa’s garage which did me the ride to work until a woman t boned me. The front wheel, handle bars and fork got mangled and have never taken the frame in to get a proper assessment to see if I could get it rebuilt. Only cost me £40 as well, nice bike though!

eviljoe
    Free Member

Identical to one I found at the tip shop a few years ago.Lovely bike, regret giving it away.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘£25!!! (Warning – old road bike content.)’ is closed to new replies.