Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2.5" tyre at 28psi or 2.3" tyre at 20psi ?
  • thered

I tend to run tyres at higher than modern pressures, especially winter tyres and need a tyre for up front. I’m considering getting a WT Shorty for up front but don’t know whether I’d be better getting a 2.3″ Shorty and running it at a lower pressure for better grip.

Thoughts?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I loved my 2.3 shorty but the 2.5 shorty is more betterer

tomhoward

The psi amounts would be the other way round, no?

legend
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    The psi amounts would be the other way round, no?

This

submarined
    Free Member

^^^^ that. 2.5 at about 16 here.

philjunior
    Free Member

What the others have said, you can run lower pressures on a bigger tyre.

mark90
    Free Member

I found the 2.5 at 18psi is betterer than the 2.3 at 20psi

chiefgrooveguru

Yep. In the winter I’ve run both up front – 2.3″ needed 22psi, 2.5″ could be dropped to 18psi. 2.5 is a lot grippier in everything but pure mud, and you only notice the extra drag once the mud is clingy.

2.5 isn’t just bigger volume – the casing is stiffer and the knobs are much thicker and more widely spaced. Much less skittery on hard stuff.

thered

Sorry, I mixed myself up, I meant it the other way. 2.3 at 28psi or 2.5 at 20psi.

Questions till stands

letmetalktomark

Making the assumption here that the rim will adequately support a 2.5” at sub 20psi and you have the room for mud and a wider tyre I would go wider.

Moar bigger contact patch init 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

..but quoting actual psi is pretty irrelevant ..its as individual as each riders weight and the size of pack they are carrying ..

chiefgrooveguru

..but quoting actual psi is pretty irrelevant ..its as individual as each riders weight and the size of pack they are carrying ..

It isn’t irrelevant when you’re comparing two different tyres under the same rider. The percentage difference will be pretty consistent.

hodgynd
    Free Member

😉 true ..but that isn’t what I said ..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2.5" tyre at 28psi or 2.3" tyre at 20psi ?’ is closed to new replies.