Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2.5 Muddy Mary – any good?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Apologies for the tyre question…

Got an uplift day at FoD coming up, and I’m thinking that my HR2/DHF combo will leave me slipping and sliding all over the shop.

Are Muddy Marys any good? They have them quite cheap on that there bike-discount.de

Dave

GaryLake
    Free Member

I dunno, I was up there on a 120mm 29er with 2.35 Hans Dampfs on last weekend and a few weeks before and was ok. It’s not that bad up there!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Actually Endo was pure comedy but I’d probably not bother riding that again…

alfabus
    Free Member

hans dampfs pretty good for the blue and red loop, but what about the DH runs?

Dave

edit: didn’t see your second post, so I guess you were on the DHs

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yup, DH runs too…

Northwind

Muddy Mary despite the name is more an intermediate/allrounder than a mud tyre- pretty comparable to a HR IME, a little better in mud but not dramatically.

I know they’re not cheap but if you want a damp conditions dh tyre, Conti Der Baron/Rain King is fantastic- like a Swampthing would be, if swampthings were good.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mainly Corkscrew into GBU last weekend (we did the XC too). I mean it was a bit sketchy but more a result of being on a 120mm 29er than anything.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are Muddy Marys any good?

Yeah I did an uplift day at FOD on some in revolting muddy conditions last year and they were zehr gut.

They’re not a spike but they clear really well and handle nicely on firmer trails too.

gazc
    Free Member

ran mine for the first time at antur stiniog in the wet on sunday, on the front with an old high roller super tacky on the rear. seemed a little skittish on wet rocks on my first run of black powder so lowered the pressure a tad and it was fine all day. really happy with it, and was ok in the small sections of mud near the bottom too. seemed better in the mud than a high roller imo, but then again black powder is more rock than mud…

alfabus
    Free Member

Thanks guys… I’ve decided to give them a try – I take the point that they’re not the most awesome tyre in deep slop, but I also take the poitn that FoD is not the sloppiest of places. Those two points even out to them being a good bet 🙂

Dave

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually, they’re pretty good in deep slop too.

🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Are Muddy Marys any good?

Frighteningly good.

As above they are not so much mud tyres but more of a loose conditions gravity all-rounder like Minions only better

Get a front in Vertstar compound and a rear in Trailstar and ride over/through anything just because you can

Not much good on the flat or uphill though, obv

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

How do they size up? I was thinking of putting a pair on some trialtech rims for my rigid.

jim79
    Free Member

Muddy Mary’s are awsome, but if it’s really muddy look no further than the Dirty Dan!

rocketman
    Free Member

How do they size up?

They are as big as they say they are proppa man’s 2.5s

Not sure what they’d be like on a rigid. You might be OK with the single-ply folders but the dual-ply wired have very tough, totally uncompromising sidewalls that are intended to be stuck on the end of 200mm of travel so they don’t have any compliance whatsoever they just grip and steer

kudos100
    Free Member

2.5’s are massive. 2.35 is fine for downhill, about the same size as a maxxis 2.5.

legend
    Free Member

2.5s are suitable for the back of a tractor, 2.35s are a much better size (slightly larger than a 2.5 Minion)

Doh, just as he ^ said then

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes sorry, should’ve said I have the 2.35in ones (freeride casing, gooey gluey compound).

alfabus
    Free Member

hmm, i have ordered 2 x 2.5s… sounds like they are going to be epic in stature.

curse my fast fingered interweb ordering fu

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I’ve been running 2.5 Mary’s for a while. Awsome in dry and intermediate but not so good in gloopy mud – especially clay based mud. They are more like 2.7 and tend to surf around on top of the mud rather than digging in and finding traction. I put my Dirty Dan’s on for muddy days.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2.5 Muddy Mary – any good?’ is closed to new replies.