Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 24hrs in Carlisle, what to do
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

Other than walking the streets or sitting in hotel room (and no, can’t put coke and hookers on expenses)

loddrik
    Free Member

Leave Carlisle, should be able to do it in much less than 24hrs too…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Moo Bar!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Now I’m here leaving does seem the more attractive option, but hotel paid for 🙁

Edit: moo Barr is closed

km79
    Free Member

Soak up the atmosphere.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Go to Longtown/Aspatria and count your blessings you stayed in Carlisle?

willard

Cycle to Newcastle and back?

TomB

554 bus to Keswick, day out in the lakes, back to Carlisle at end of day?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Castle’s pretty good in fairness, there’s walks along the rivers too.

chrispy

There is a good bouldering wall in Carlisle.

boxelder

Don’t dis ma home town ya hear?

Castle, Tullie House, Eden Rock climbing wall, Adult shop on Botchergate, wind up the chaps in the Apple outlet.

johnx2
    Free Member

Go to Longtown/Aspatria

I was going to suggest cockermouth

grizedaleforest

Tullie House and Castle will take up a full afternoon and is enjoyable. Catch the bus out to Lanercost priory and wander around – nice cafe there. Carlisle-Settle railway and get off some where for a walk. Hire a car and head into North Lakes or up to Hadrian’s wall.

breadcrumb

Carlisle has one of the biggest Wilkos in the country, go on, spoil yourself.

jekkyl

yup head south to the lakes. You could also get a train down the cumbrian coast.

somafunk

Head to Gretna, then immediately turn around and be thankful for what Carlisle offers you

ads678

Is that new DH trail centre open up there yet? Gnar park or summink?

martinhutch

Get the train to Dent, Ribblehead or Horton. Get off. Ride for six hours. Get the train back.

EDiT: Forgot it was still closed at that end due to landslip. Scrub that idea!

aracer
    Free Member

What can you put on expenses that they can put on their receipt?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Go here:
    Coffee Shop

justinbieber

24 hours in Carlisle? As others have said, leave. 🙂

Seriously though, Foxes Cafe on Abbey St is a good place to start.
    Foxborough restaurant is amazing if you like BBQ, Quarter Lounge is also good if you just want a burger.

Other than that it totally depends on what you’re into. Personally I wouldn’t go to Tullie House, even though my kids love it. Bitts Park is nice for a wander from the centre, and the Eden Valley is also lovely, but you need transport to get there.

What brings you this way anyway?

fasthaggis

Do you have a car or bike?
    Head down to the coast,Silloth or Skinburness on the back roads.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

There is a walkabout

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Actually… I quite liked Tullie House last time I went. It’s going back quite a few years though! My boys are getting towards the age they may enjoy it though. The Castle, likewise… seem to recall the Cathedral was pretty interesting too.

This may not be the case for everyone mind… I was an archaeologist at one stage 😉

martinhutch

I’m sure it’s lovely really, but my only experience of the town was seeing two separate fights between pissed-up idiots walking five minutes from the train station to my hotel.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Having visited larger towns and cities around Britain Carlisle doesn’t seem so bad really . What are your interests and maybe people could advise a little more to your tastes .

I’m sure it’s lovely really, but my only experience of the town was seeing two separate fights between pissed-up idiots walking five minutes from the train station to my hotel.

I’m pretty sure this happens everywhere when idiots are allowed to consume alcohol unfortunately .

wombat

I guess Cockermouth is out if you can’t put coke and hookers on expenses 😉

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Have bike, stopping in the lakes tomorrow. Castle and a stroll looks tops, then possibly catch a film, try and stay clear of pubs when working, temptation and all that

bigyinn
    Free Member

Carlisle at 02:00 on a Sunday morning is a sight to behold. Its busier then than during the day, plus there are lots of pissed people bimbling about trying to get back to Hexham etc.

TomB

You have a bike, it’s a nice day. I’d head out to the coast at Port Carlisle and round the listening station. Quite a surreal place. Quiet, flat lanes, nice riding, follow hadrians cycle route signs.

justinbieber

If you have a bike, you could do a hell of a lot worse than getting yourself to the main carpark in Keswick for 6.30 tonight.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

When in Rome….

fasthaggis

If you have a bike, you could do a hell of a lot worse than getting yourself to the main carpark in Keswick for 6.30 tonight.

Don’t know if that’s quite what the OP is looking for Justin 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

this looks like a fun way to leave… http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/

justinbieber

@Fasthaggis – that’s Wednesdays

fasthaggis

It was yetidave,even better if you pop down to the Solway first and turn it into a C2C 😉

epicyclo

The Highlands are 4 hours away. Take a bike.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Get some Thai food from the wee mobile van Thai place in a car park near a roundabout.
    Delicious

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are a couple of guys who fix dentures in the courtyard by the Church, did a fantastic job on mine when I was up in Keswick last year.

You could pop in and say Hi, and tell them they’re still fixed.

Ta.

HTHs.

failedengineer

Carlisle’s OK, even at night if you stay off Botchergate (Although I recommend the Royal Outpost Malaysian/Thai restaurant above the Cumberland Arms). There are a few nice bars (shame about the Moo Bar, though).
    There are worse places, for sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘24hrs in Carlisle, what to do’ is closed to new replies.