Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 24'' wheel and tyre help [kid's CX]
  • Garry_Lager

Anyone know their way around 24” tyres? I’m trying to get a pair of CX tyres for my kid’s 24” wheel bike, and it’s been an education in ISO standards .
    He has 25 – 520 road tyres on the rim which doesn’t seem the most versatile size. There’s loads of 540 stuff available, which is too big, but might I be able to lever on a 40 – 507? There are a couple of tyres available in this size.

simondbarnes

but might I be able to lever on a 40 – 507?

No, you won’t be able to

simondbarnes

Searching reveals nothing other than 23 or 25mm tyres in that size. Rebuild on 507mm rims?

Garry_Lager

Thks Simon – guess a rebuild is the answer.

simondbarnes

What brakes has it got?

Garry_Lager

It’s a kid’s viking road bike, road rim brakes. I was wondering how wide a rim it would take but the clearances seem pretty generous around the frame and brake caliper.
    It’s so he can ride the U10races at NWCX events – he’s outgrown his MTB.

MikeG

I think I might still have a spare pair of Islabike 24″ wheels in the garage which would be fitted with small block 8s and a 8 or possibly 9 speed cassette, forgot to include them when I sold the bike. Only issue might be the drop on the brakes not having enough adjustment to get the pads on the rims.
    Let me know if you’d like me to have a rummage tomorrow 🙂

garage-dweller

my eldest wanted a cx bike in 24″. I told him no because it’s nigh on impossible to find 24″ cx tyres online or in the shops.

I spent hours looking as he’s a big fan of Le Tour / wanted drop bars but rides mostly off road.

Islabikes had some small block eight tyres or similar a while back. Only thing I recall being able to find.

TomB

Islabikes 24″ come with lends SB8 tyres that’s are fine for cx, and you can buy them separately direct from Islabikes. £20 each, wire bead though.

Sven

I have a 24″ Islabike rear wheel and separate Islabike rim you could have, ERD is certainly less then 520mm, and they had some Kenda tyres on them. Sven

scottrider
    Free Member

I’ve got some dusty but unused Pr1mo V-Trak tyres in 519-23 size in garage if you’re interested. Bought as spares for my kids 24″ CX bike that’s been sold. I fitted them once to check that the slightly smaller 519 iso would fit the bike’s 520 iso wheels, which although a bit tight, did fit.
    These would be ideal to fit to a road bike with caliper brakes as they’re quite skinny.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘24'' wheel and tyre help [kid's CX]’ is closed to new replies.