Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 24 vs 32 spoke Hope wheelsets on Stans 355 rims
  • mboy
    Free Member

At 12 and a half stone, am I likely to find the 24 spoke version of these wheels with straight pull spokes significantly more flexy/weaker than the conventionally spoked 32 spoke versions?

This is for an XC hardtail, it won't be jumped or dropped off stuff, I have other bikes for messing about on. Hence looking to save any rotating weight I can really, providing I'm not sacrificing too much strength.

Anybody ridden both? Your thoughts?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

You'll be fine, I'm 13 stone on a fat day and used to ride Mavic Crosslands , which are also 24 spoke, for all my riding, trailcemtres, small drops, rocks, Carn Ban Mor etc..

br
    Free Member

Not those, but have 28 and 32 spoke options on 819 rimmed rear wheels – and can definately feel the flex on the 28's.

But fine for XC.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Both of you – there's more to it that spoke count – those are entirely different wheels.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I'm the same weight as the OP and have just fitted 32 spoke Stans 355's on Hope Pro II's they feel fine to me 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I'm 82kg and I've got both the xc3 24h on 355 and the xc3 32h on 355. the 24's are noticably more flexible but still remain die straight after a year of abuse.

mboy
    Free Member

cheers Blazin-saddles, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. Think I may try a 24 spoke wheel on the front possibly, but won't be doing so on the back. These are going on a hardtail, and it's always the rear wheel that gets the bulk of the abuse on any of my bikes anyway, so a few grammes in the sake of extra reliability won't be the end of it I don't think.

ballsofcottonwool, the Mavic Crosslands have got an inately stiffer rim than the Stans 355 is anyway, so though I appreciate your thoughts, it's kind of irrelevant.

Same pretty much goes for br. Mavic 819's are VERY stiff rims, I've owned quite a few in the past. Most of them 32 spoke, but one pair were 24 spoke. Could I tell the difference? The rims are way too stiff, so no I couldn't!

steve_b77, I should hope they do feel fine! I was trying to get at will the 24 spoke version feel fine or not as well though really… 😉

Pierre

How much weight would you save with 24 spoke wheels? I'd suggest that unless you're a top-level racer, you'd probably be better off going with 32s as they are more likely to last longer.

: P

mboy
    Free Member

Good point, well made Pierre

Though I am trying to get away with as light components as I can on this bike as the intention is for it to be a light XC machine. Though of course you have to draw the line somewhere, and being as I'm already a good couple of stone over XC jeyboy weight myself (even though I'm pretty far from being fat), then what difference is 80g per wheel going to make? Probably as you suggest, not that much!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘24 vs 32 spoke Hope wheelsets on Stans 355 rims’ is closed to new replies.