Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2.4" tyres – MKII/RQ/??
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My lovely Rubber Queens have begun to show their age, especially the rear, which has a lightly shredded sidewall.

So, what to replace them with? Anyone gone from 2.4RQ (Black Chilli/
    Protection flava) to 2.4MKII? Same size/shape? They look a pretty tidy option to me, similar tread and bulk, but lighter.

Or, is there anything else…?

(26″, 6″ travel, skill compensator bike, used in Surrey Hills, Swinley and trail centres)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Chunky munkey….cheap and grip like ****….weight wise, my 29er one weighs more than the front wheel on my 26er hardtail 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

RQ’s are huge for a 2.4″

MK’s are a lot smaller

If that makes any difference to you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MK’s are a lot smaller

Hmm. I rather like the big volume. Might go RQ on the front and MKII on the back, then. Thanks!

banks
    Free Member

Tubeless RQ’s ftw! They last for ages on the front so I’ve been sticking the cheap smorgasbords on the rear. Probably best combo I’ve found in ages

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve only used the 2.2 MK2s, but they are very light and fast rolling – and grip surprisingly well. Best all round XC tyre I’ve used.

But I’ve taken them off the bike now I’ve moved up north, the carcass is too lightweight for rocky riding.

If the 2.4 weighs much less than 800g I’d be sceptical for a 6in bike.

Northwind

On the front I’m still banging on about Butcher Controls, they’re mint… Slightly smaller than the RQ and maybe just slightly slower rolling, but grippier in almost all conditions (wet rock is the only time they don’t feel better to me) and a lot better in sticky mud. Tubeless ready, too, and the sidewalls feel a lot more durable (though, I never had any issues with the Queens tbh)

But if you’re considering Queen to King I guess you want faster?

swingbing
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.4 MKII Protection that’s virtually brand new that I no longer need. Might it be of interest?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just stuck a pair of Panaracer Rampage 2.35’s on the big bike. So far really loving them, fast rolling and grippy on the rocky stuff at Lee Quarry. Did 36 miles/4000ft ascent with them on Sunday and never felt like they were dragging.
    Merlin selling them pretty cheap at the moment. Rampage SC (soft compound) on the front.

swingbing
    Free Member

I’ve found RQ front and MK rear to be a great combination by the way 🙂

kimbers

chunky monkeys or hans dampfs

chunks faster rolling, hans are grippier but both ace tyres

BearBack
    Free Member

2.4 mkII is possibly narrower and certainly lower volume than a 2.2 rq.
    Its a killer tyre though, fast good traction in all conditions and relatively tough.
    I get rear sidewalls pretty tatty though as I run the rtr protection version tubeless at 20psi.
    Has less braking traction than the 2.2 rq but rolls faster.
    2.4 rq is an enduro front tyre IMO and far to big on anything I’d primairliy be pedalling

aracer
    Free Member

Just tom trow in another idea, I quite like my Fat Albert.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2.4" tyres – MKII/RQ/??’ is closed to new replies.