Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 2.4 rubber queen mis shaped
  • jedi

burped a tyre and now the tyre has a big hump in it. same as the old 2.2 🙁 will try the tubeless chilli version as i like them so much but what else is there??

float
    Free Member

just bang a tube in there already!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why do these thread titles always disappoint. 👿

jedi

the tyre is mis shaped a tube wont help.

float
    Free Member

i meant stick a tube in the next rubber queen you get (… 😕 😐 😉 )

martinxyz
    Free Member

Don’t ride so hard ;O)

votchy
    Free Member

Same happened to me, taco’d wheel at Antur stiniog at the weekend, managed to straighten it to within 1.5mm, put the tyre back on and the rim runs the same but the tyre has around 10mm of wobble, what causes this?

bazza17
    Free Member

Same happened to me after landing hard from a jump on my hardtail – consigned the tyre to the bin as I doubted it would do its job.

votchy
    Free Member

Sounds like there is a manufacturing or design issue with these tyres then, will give the shop I bought from a call to discuss replacement/refund as my tyre has done around 50 miles.

honourablegeorge

Happens loads with RQs – the solution is Hans Dampf.

cynic-al
    Free Member

These tires are seated properly yes?

Seems odd they’d deform…warranty?

neilc1881
    Free Member

Have exactly the same thing happen with my tubeless Rubber Queen 2.4, Rob (Conti) sent me it as a replacement for a diesel that I had a problem with (bead detached from sidewall). I felt like I wouldn’t send it back since I couldn’t be bothered to pack another one up and have ridden it for a year like this without dying. I’d rather have one without a wobble though!

Mintyjim

ditto this:

honourablegeorge – Member
    Happens loads with RQs – the solution is Hans Dampf.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have had grief with 2.2 folding X King recently (not black chilli). Running with tubes but even when pumped like a rock with big 2.5” tubes the tyre is spinning on the rim and shearing the valve. It has killed about 6 tubes and has now been thrown to the back of the shed in disgrace.

The Black chilli Montain King (2.4) bought at the same time and running the same tube on the same rim has no problem – Lovely tyre. I noted this had hand made in Germany on the Box. The cheaper X king did not.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive had the bead become ‘loose’ but not detached and made a proper wobble, you could move part of it like a drawstring into your jumper. Had it with Schwalbe, Maxxis and Bonty.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Scruff – My X King was just like that, loads of bits of thread hanging off it – and generally a very poor quality feel to the edge of the tyre / bead. Rubbish!

Kahurangi

I sold a used 2.2 RQ to mchlptchr, it developed a wobble, much like you describe. IIRC he got in touch with Continental/Cambrian and they replaced it FOC.

jedi

i want to try a ust black chilli rq. if that mis shapes i’ll give up using conti 🙁

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve managed to mis-shape one non UST 2.4 RQ but it had a very hard life before it happened. The UST one I have seems much more robust and got a hammering on cactus and rock strewn shuttled DH trails in Phoenix last year.
    I’ve also manage to cut/slice a few non UST sidewalls open. I really like the feel and weight of the non UST tyres though so it’s a risk I carry. For most of my riding they are the best tyres I have ever used, but if I was doing shuttles or planning to do a load of DH tomfoolery I would go with the UST’s or something tougher

banks
    Free Member

Same problem sent back under warranty & replaced no problem unless you bought it from nextdaytyres.com then you might struggle as the guys a tit

votchy
    Free Member

The one I have the problem with is a 2.4 black chilli tubeless variant

messiah
    Free Member

The one I have the problem with is a 2.4 black chilli tubeless variant

Well… your tougher than me then 😈

I’d try returning it if it looks good other than where it doesn’t… and you say it’s only done 50 miles so should be looking fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not good news. I’ve got a pair of 2.2 tubeless waiting to go on a bike. Those who’ve had them replaced, any feedback as to the cause or do they say “first one I’ve seen do that”?

honourablegeorge

Mine happened ages ago, Conti weren’t interested

votchy
    Free Member

Well… your tougher than me then

Not tougher, just heavier 😆

easygirl

i had mine replaced no problem, but they didnt make ant comment as to the cause.
    was badly mishapen after a day at glentress,2.4 ust chilli flavour

banks
    Free Member

Replaced no problem. Settled with a few emails to conti who said it does happen but its rare – not too sure on cause yet.

Anyway new 2.4 UST BC came in the post 2days later via wiggle

The people at nextdaytyres refused to admit there was a problem even saying it’s on his wheel builders bike now & there’s no issue.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Jedi, out of interest what pressure do you run your contis at?

jedi

2.5 bar front 3bar rear

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Looking for new tyres soon. Any pictures?

NextDayTyres
    Free Member

Now, I don’t normally post on these forums, but we have sold a lot of rubber queens, certainly hundreds of the UST versions, only had one back for a buckle so far.

As I object to being called a ‘tit’ by Rick Banks above, especially as my kids look at this forum quite a lot I’ll just say that the tyre we got back from him in June was refunded in full. As we could see nothing wrong with it, my wheel builder snagged it and STILL has it on his own bike and runs true.

Still you just can’t please everybody I guess …

jedi

I now have 2.2 ust ones. My mate nick has the same and its mis shaped!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooops! Banks now feeling a ‘tit’?!

banks
    Free Member

A bit yeah

As soon as it was refunded i ordered a new one from NDT which was refunded – so went to wiggle instead just annoyed at the time

Suppose your lucky then I’ve had this problem again to which conti & wiggle said it’s a common problem or your not riding hard enough 😛

Also, the tyre i returned was so buckled it didn’t fit through the forks!!!

rewski
    Free Member

Mr nextdaytyres how comes you don’t stock spesh or bonty? For the record, i was very happy with my small block 8s.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a Nokian tyre that had a bump in it. I called them, they sent me a new one straight away, didn’t even want the old one back.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I had a 2.4 set of BC Tubeless UST jobs that did the same both front and rears, they got so bad I sent them back to Conti who replaced them, Ive since swapped to Scwalbe Hans Dampf, so far so good, i think i actually prefer they grip a bit better are far more predictable when leaning over, but theyre not quite as fast rolling.

colournoise

Running a 2.2 RQ UST up front and it’s been tough as nails. Originally posted it with an X King 2.2 Protection running tubeless on the rear but that deformed on its first ride. Conti replaced it no questions and did say they’d seen a few tyres doing it. The sidewalls of the new X King they sent me felt much stronger even before being fitted and has been fine to date. Guessing they had a bad batch of tyres come out of the German factory?

boxxer7
    Free Member

Seems to be happening far to often for it to be a batch, you only need to do a search on google to find alot more threads on various forums about the same problem.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 no. 2.4 ist rubber queens fail now, each lasted for about 2 months of twice a week riding. Failed on the bead each time developing a large bulge in the tyre. Don’t trust them now as they’ve all failed mid ride causing me to cut short. Shame as they were great tyres while they worked!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘2.4 rubber queen mis shaped’ is closed to new replies.