Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 24" kids tyres.. pedallable high volume
  • BearBack
    Free Member

Tell me, has anyone compared volumes (casing height and width) of:
    24×2.0 Maxxis Snyper
    24×2.1 Kenda SB8
    24×2.1 Schwalbe Rocket Ron

Project “RC24” is under way and I’m after a light but high volume tyre my little guy can shred his heart out on the BC blue tech trails moving into blacks.

rossburton
    Free Member

I can measure how wide a Rocket Ron is tomorrow…

nwill1
    Free Member

Watching with interest…currently undergoing a similar project…managed to pick up some 24″ hope wheels but come with DMR Motor Digger…look decent it a little heavy.

hatter

Schwalbe used to do a 24″ x 2.4 Racing Ralph, sounds just about perfect if you’re after big and light. Could be fun to track down though.

BearBack
    Free Member

I found some, but it’s 11 year old rubber.

stevextc
    Free Member

Sorry, I just refitted the Snyper’s on the “spare” wheels (literally last week) and I’m loathe to remove them again as I’m one armed at the moment

What I can say without actually weighing them is they are REALLY heavy…. just from picking both up I’d say the Synper is heavier all by itself than a RR + light Front Wheel (Rim, Spokes, Hub, 160mm rotor and valves/sealant)

In terms of volume the RR is noticeably more but the Synper’s have tubes and are on different crap Alex rims and I’m not for pulling off the RR’s and trying to fit the Snypers tubeless on the Stans Rims then rip them off and refit the RR’s ad lose a whole load of sealant in the process.

Actually the plan was I was going to do this and see if any part of the stock wheels from his FS were reusable for pedalling but having taken one of the Snyper’s off they were so heavy as to be unusable for normal riding so are likely to be used only for DH days and bike park.

All that said it has to depend WHERE you ride. I know POAH (or more accurately his lad) had a poor experience with RR’s where he usually rides. (Hopefully he will chip in as he has another option to the three above)

I put this down to where he rides … and the RR’s are not good for miles of sharp stone.
    We occasionally ride Guisburn Forest and the RR’s (either Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron’s) are crap over lots of sharp stone .. Jnr got round without a puncture but I managed to get a just sealing one on my rear which is a Rocket Ron 2.4

Gripwise the RR’s are OK …. fast rolling and bite OK to the limited depth they can.

poah
    Free Member

the rocket rons are very thin like Steve says. we have hutchenson toro which lewis has on most of the year. The ripcord came with kenda kinetics but the rubber is very hard and doesn’t even grip that well in soft conditions. Schwalbe used to make a 2.4 big betty but it’s very heavy.

The toro’s casing is 46mm high & 52mm wide

BearBack
    Free Member

Hey Steve, I didn’t expect you to weigh the tyre, its listed at 600 for the folding version and i expect its probably a little over that but I’m astounded you’re suggesting in excess of 1500 😯
    Id be more interested to know more whether its a nice volume as that info isnt clear as there aren’t many images of it online so ta for the comparison to the RR.
    Other options plus what Poah mentioned are the new Smart Sam. wired but 515g Kenda actually have the slant 6 2.6 available in 24″ also and the 20″ version on my other kids bike is pretty good, if not a bit quick to scrub knobs when the kids are rocking sick skids. the 20×2.6 weighed much the same as a 2.1SB8. If the fork I have in mind works out then the 2.6 would be somewhat unnecessary though
    I also wonder about the tabletop 2.1.. same tread pattedn as the Mow Joe I think.. just cut blocks but a pretty healthy volume to it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I found ROCKET RONS to e awful with no grip

Got some decent tyres – compromise between weight/volume and price from Tarty Bikes

BearBack
    Free Member

Got some decent tyres – compromise between weight/volume and price from Tarty Bikes

any specifics? Cheers

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sorry that was a bit useless as a post

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-black-jack-mtb-tyre-puncture-protect/rp-prod80072

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3594&g=744011&p=1358216&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Hybrid%20&%20City%20Tyres&gclid=CjwKCAjwqcHLBRAqEiwA-j4AyDqC2kB3VK4shxFyBEsjDATtAqfufttJ_WPIfB_EXoRixjVe_g-qSRoCIHcQAvD_BwE

They are wider than those but just the type
    what they do now

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/tyres/c162.html

I also fitted the lightweight inner tubes form there and no punctures so far – figured it would be fine given the low weight of the rider

Dont get carried away is my advice as you can spend loads

Mine ended up at about 25 lbs weight ut you cn just keep spending if you like

I also recommend old Sid [ 28 stanchion]forks as the A-C is tiny and they are air and weigh nothing…NB spare not available

carlphillips
    Free Member

Also used the hutchinson toros on poahs advice last year, they’ve been brilliant, from alps trips to local loops all good in all weathers.

BearBack
    Free Member

Just seen this and figure I’d add it here
    Vee Tire crown gem 24×2.25. 120tpi, tubeless ready, 570g

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘24" kids tyres.. pedallable high volume’ is closed to new replies.