Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 24 inch wheelset for Kids Bike (with discs)
  • grumpster
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done alot already but I am just pricing up putting a bike together for my son.

I have most bits sussed but wheels are tricky. Does anyone know where I can source 24inch wheels that are disc compatible?

I am not looking to spend vast sums – the cheaper the better to be honest but lightness is the key. Many 24 rims seems to be built for jump bikes and are massively over engineered for what I need and can afford.

I did find one set made by Raleigh for about 100 pounds but I suspect they weight a tonne – happy to be proven otherwise though.

Much as I like the idea of building up a set for him I’ve never tried building wheels before.

Thanks in advance.

poah
    Free Member

Won’t get light wheels without spending a decent wad of cash.

blairc70
    Free Member
    MoreCashThanDash

Check the various Carrera Blast threads, but i seem to recall wheels usually got spendy.

martinhutch

I just ended rebuilding the stock rims on a Hotrock with an XT hub. Seemed to be the cheapest option, and have held up OK.

The stock rims were actually quite surprisingly light.

poah
    Free Member

Those superstar wheels are not particularly light as they use straight gauge spokes

curvature
    Free Member

As you have worked out cheap and light doesn’t exist.

I built some 24″ Crest, Novatec, Sapim Race for my son’s bike and they were light. However they cost around £200 but when I split the bike I sold the wheels and got £200 for them with the tyres and valves so in my mind they were a good buy.

grumpster
    Free Member

Thanks all. As I suspected.

Need to work out if I should buy some hubs and switch them over. Costing it up it makes buying new a bit more attractive albeit not as much fun.

Jason
    Free Member

My daughter has 24″ Crest rims on Hope hubs on her bike. I had an old set of Hope hubs sat spare, so the cheapest option was to build them up with Crest rims. With tubeless Rocket Rons, they make a very lightweight wheel set.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘24 inch wheelset for Kids Bike (with discs)’ is closed to new replies.