• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 24 inch wheel bike frame for daughters bike,but not a jump frame,ideas?
  • world.of.spam

I want to make up a 24 inch wheel bike for my daughter,I wont have a problem digging out and down hunting any of the bits required ,exept getting a nice frame with disc mounts seems to be a problem,does anyone know of any frames available to fit 24 inch wheels that are not over built jump frames?

rootes1

think you might struggle to get such a frame.

as an aside, islabikes manage to built real small frames using shorter components etc, but with 26er wheels

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/creig26.html

just a thought

imp999
    Free Member

My daughter(11) rides a Mongoose Rockadile and it has a real nice frame but no rear disc mount but it looks like it would take one of them A2Z jobbies.
    26" forks(RS Dart with weak springs and lowered travel) jack the front up a bit but it still seems to ride very well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kona do some nice 24in bikes 🙂

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=hula

br
    Free Member

Why not just look at small 26" frames – they'll take 24" wheels.

Also can recommend the Norco B-Line 24", probably too 'heavy' for what you are looking for, but my sons' been beating his up for a couple of years now.

His jump bike again is on 24" wheels, but I managed to get a Dr Jekell, which has an alloy frame – not too heavy. Both bikes are on discs.

One problem with kids bikes is that no matter how much money (and dads castoffs etc) you throw at them, they're always heavy for the kid…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Any 26" wheeled frame will fit 24" wheels on it. That's what I have done with my wife's bike.

The-Badger
    Free Member

Islabikes are the best but my son and daughter flatly refused to have one – i dont think they liked the style/ colour.

In the end I bought a Carrera Luna and Blast, and just upgraded the brakes and tyres. Not perfect but the kids love them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

jump bikes arent overbuilt, plenty of steel ones out there that weigh less than a 456 frame. The limiting factor is uauly a lack of gears unless your adept with a brazing torch,

But as others said, she may be better on a 26" bike, then at least you can upgrade it and swap frames etc. And I've never seen 24" lightweight weels for sale aftermarket (although thinking about it, lightweight bmx cruiser wheels might fit the bill).

antigee

i looked earlier in yr as had the parts but couldn't find frames except the steel ones "redundant" on ebay and they are non disc

specialized giant & kona do good 24" wheel bikes but not frame only

i tried her on her friends 26" 12" frame and it didn't look good is small for age so will wait and see if specialized hot rocks get discounted in jan sales or anything pops up in the classifieds

rootes1

<<Islabikes are the best but my son and daughter flatly refused to have one – i dont think they liked the style/ colour.>>

ungrateful or what – tell them that this xmas all they are getting is a lump of coal and a satsuma ! 😆 😆

imp999
    Free Member

Smaller daughter uses a Halfords XC 24* (The alum one) with some reduced sprung Manitou Axels. Its not bad, either. Has the benefit of coming with one cable disc & disc wheel, Small(11"?) frame and cheap if you can drop on one on ebay.
    It was £100 new and has served the three of my kids well.

dn-chevy
    Free Member

giant do a small frame xtc 24" wheel mountain bike with suspension forks and disc mounts

br
    Free Member

Ok, if she is that small, how about a Trek MT220?

My son moved on to this after his 20" wheeled bike, no discs but to be honest it was never a problem – he managed Aston Hill, Chicksands and most of Glentress – and he still uses it as his 'street' bike.

Only thing that broke/bent were the handlebars when it fell off the car rack…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘24 inch wheel bike frame for daughters bike,but not a jump frame,ideas?’ is closed to new replies.