Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 24 hours on a road bike??
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

How far for an averagely fit rider (60 miles in the peak over 4hrs)

Want a solo challenge for next summer, would 200+ miles over 24hrs be a pipedream?

Tiger6791

Nope should be quite do-able

wwaswas

there was a 24 hour race at Goodwood motor circuit int he wind and rain last weekend – solo winner did 172 laps of the 2.4mile circuit.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Bit more to go wrong if you fall asleep at the helm than just crash into a muddy woodland though………..I’d be quite concerned about the road safety aspect of riding whilst sleep deprived.

steezysix
    Free Member

Get some good shorts, or you’ll be looking like this chap at the end… 🙂

aa
    Free Member

24 hour time trials are fairly common, some huge distances are racked up

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll do more than 200 miles in 24 hours

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m doing a 200-miler in late July. Planning on about 14 hours of riding (road this is…)

ton

i know a fat bloke who managed 184 miles in 18 hours…….. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

200 in 24 should be failry straight foreward, Monksie’s doing 190 ish in daylight in a couple of weeks. I attempted to do the same but couldn’t find time to do any long rides so wont be.

I found that after about 5 or 6 hours it just becomes a case of energy in = energy out so as long as I kept eating the legs would keep turning, speed dropped a little, but not as much as I’d have expected it to (dropped from 15mph average to about 13).

Mentaly it’s a f**** joke though, after 7 hours I started talking/swearing/crying to myself, and not in a concious kinda way like you do on an MTB trying to psyke youself up for a jump, the first i was aware was wondering what the voice was in the middle of nowhere!

On the plus side there’s not much that beats the feeling of setting off just after after dawn, and getting back and looking out the window and the suns gone down. Propper all day rides!

jonba
    Free Member

I would think 300 is doable. 12.5 miles an hour.

wors

would 200+ miles over 24hrs be a pipedream

not at all, i’ve just ridden on Saturday Edinburgh to Bolton (212 miles in 15 hours)

schedule 2 or 3 stops to get off the bike and re fuel. you’ll be fine

kcr
    Free Member

Might be worth considering a 300km or 400 km Audax if you want to do something like that. More fun than doing it on your own.
    By the way, comp record for a 24 is 541 miles if you fancy a challenge!

tracknicko
    Free Member

doable. grim tho.

will
    Free Member

I’d imagine 350 miles would be doable. With 300 being a nice goal to aim for.

541 though, that’s amazing!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

200 in 24 hours is very doable, if you can keep going for 24 hours.

glenh
    Free Member

doable. grim tho.

+1. Won’t you get massively bored?

ourmaninthenorth

Nearly had Andy Wilkinson on our Mayhem team a couple of years ago. I suspect he could have solo’d more laps than the rest of us put together….

aa
    Free Member

i flew* past andy wilkinson like he was stood still, to be fair, he was laden down with panniers and iirc was on his way from a plane journey to stoke or somewhere for the rttc dinner. Did exchange a few pleasant words

*i may have been going only marginally faster

BristolPablo
    Free Member

have a look at the Audax UK web site, there are loads of routes already set up for you to complete. you just need to learn how their routing works in terms of junctions and things, they read like pace notes used in rally cars! they do all sorts form 100kmers to 400kmers and then the London-Edinburgh-London. I’ll try some soon though I dont have the pre-requisitie Dawes Super Galaxy

there was a 24 hour race at Goodwood motor circuit int he wind and rain last weekend – solo winner did 172 laps of the 2.4mile circuit.

I keep looking at this and thinking, ahhh, i’ll do that next yer, then March comes round and I think, ahh I’ll do that next year….

trail_rat
    Free Member

“doable. grim tho.

+1. Won’t you get massively bored?

depends where

done the snow roads 300k audax 3 times now and never got bored of the views

done the durness duress in horrific weather but the views were spectacular again.

MrOvershoot

Been on a few evening rides with Wilco, the bloke is top draw hard as nails but very modest too.
    I was right on the point of voming most of the ride while he was chatting away 😯

singletrackmind

Have you thought about the SDD?
    192 miles mostly off road.
    Alot more interesting and safer than 24hrs on the road.
    Or set yourself a 200 mile challenge and see how fast you can complete it .

fasthaggis

Did you do it this year Trail rat?
    I heard that the BBC were filming it for the Adventure Show.
    I had been thinking about it ,but GT7 was the same weekend.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Won’t you get massively bored?

Depends what bores you, the advantage of road riding is there are a lot of roads and places to go whereas MTB tends to involve laps or riding in circles otherwise you run out of mountain, so a 400mile ride can be one long straight line, ticking off the towns/vilages/scenary as you go. Suppose its alsoa motivation issue, you have to be motivated by the sense of achievement and the actual cycling itself rather than the sometimes ADHD world of MTB. e.g I’m quite happy doing a days uplift DH, or riding for 100 miles on the moors and don’t find either boring (although uplifting is a bit dull and lacking in any achievement sometimes, I’d rather do an enduro and ride 2x 15 min tracks under my own steam than the same 4 min track 10 times with a cattle truck).

darrell
    Free Member

there’s a sportif / race here called “Trondheim to Oslo”

I reckon you can figure out the route, anyway its 540 km and you have to finish it it 24 hours. Very popular

Tiger6791

I did 150 miles in 11.5 hours a couple of weeks ago and I’m a fat biffa.

nobber
    Free Member

I rode my Langster from Brighton to Cornwall a couple of weeks ago, 260miles in just over 23hrs

Quite a gentle pace all the way, it was ace

tobymc

Dunwich dynamo this weekend. 120 miles in 8 or 9 hours at a sociable pace. Always fun (not done it in the rain yet so that statement could change…..).

Kuco

nobber, what was your gearing on the Langster?

Dickyboy

If you can keep 15mph average in hilly country (peaks) then I would have thought that 200m in 24hrs is not that much of a task to set, we’re planning on trying to do the entire chilterns cycleway (185miles) in a dawn to dusk ride next summer. My brother has done about 440 miles in 24, but its not something I’d ever want to do.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

just entered my first 24hr TT in July. Just doing it for the fun you understand…

monksie
    Free Member

I’m doing 220’ish miles in 13 hours on the 14th July. You should be able to do 221’ish in 24 🙂

hillsplease

218 miles in 12 hrs, but iwas a time trial. The winner rode a lot and a lot more than that. I felt a bit peculiar afterwards. Perhaps straight to the pub after for 4 pints was ill advised.

200 in 24 will allow for pie. As such a good thing.

Edric64
    Free Member

many people do well over 200 miles in a 12hr time trial and well in excess of 300 in a 24hr on the road the good blokes do approaching 300 in a 12 and 500 in a 24 LEJOG record is about 44 hours

matthew_h
    Free Member

Depends if you “drop your saddlebag” or something.

dasilva
    Free Member

A friend and I did a 24hr road ride for a bit of a laugh once. I was less fit then and 95 miles was about the most I’d done on a bike. We rode from Leeds out through Malham and the Yorkshire dales, up to the lakes, around Coniston and then back via Hawes and Layburn. 253 miles and not a flat route at all, but interesting and quite fun.

4am start on a Saturday morning is good for recovery by Monday morning.

paul4stones

We did 210 round Northumberland a couple of years ago in about 18hrs. Bored in the dark at the end though and I wouldn’t rush to do it again.

nobber
    Free Member

Kuko, Ran a 42:18

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘24 hours on a road bike??’ is closed to new replies.