Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 24 hour soloists – what lights do you use?
  • Paulio
    Free Member

With Twentyfour12 and now Mayhem solos entered it’s time to start thinking about some new lights.

Having (probably rashly) sold my Lumen Liberator I’d planned on some Exposure ones as I like the all-in-one style but am interested in what other people find good.

mboy
    Free Member

Most of the guys I know who solo 24hr use Exposure Six Pack’s. It’s expensive, but on the middle setting it still chucks out about 1200 Lumens, and battery life is rated at 10hrs.

Thing is as well with Exposure, much as I love my Troutie Lumen Liberator too, more people have got them, and it’s easier to beg/steal/borrow someone else’s Exposure light as a backup (same clamp across the range) so you can make sure you’ve got enough light power to last through the night.

thomthumb
    Free Member

plus exposure are normally at the races and can offer support, borrow a light etc if your really stuck.

never seen anyone else there…

Aidy
    Free Member

Exposure here, too.

10 hour runtime is sufficient to get through most of the night (or probably all of it in summer months, with a couple of short stops), and they’re reliable.

Reliability’s sorta the thing for me – cheap lights now are awesome (I’ve got a few sets), but I’m not sure how much I’d trust them to be on continually for 10 hours+.

I suppose for the money you could just buy a couple of cheap lights and allow that one might die.

[Edit] And yes, the race support is nice. Couldn’t find my piggyback charger connector a couple of years ago, being able to just drop the battery into their charging tent was a huge relief. [/Edit]

mboy
    Free Member

never seen anyone else there…

Del from Four 4th’s is usually at all the 24HR races too, supporting his race teams. He’s also an exceptionally nice guy, and his lights are superb! Just none that I know of have the battery life of an Exposure yet.

Paulio
    Free Member

Yeah, I was camped a few tents down from the 4th guys at 24/12.

Exposure seems popular as I expected but I quite fancy Trout’s Spider-eyes thing too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ll not be using it for a 24hr mtb race, but I’ve just got a SP Dyno hub and Exposure Revo setup. Its awesome. Who needs batteries…

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ll not be using it for a 24hr mtb race, but I’ve just got a SP Dyno hub and Exposure Revo setup. Its awesome. Who needs batteries…

Meaning that you wouldn’t do a 24 hour race at all, or that you wouldn’t use a Revo for a 24 hour race?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Meaning that you wouldn’t do a 24 hour race at all, or that you wouldn’t use a Revo for a 24 hour race?

Meaning I’ve no plans to do a 24hr race in the near future.

A 24hr ride, now thats fair enough. No probs there.

As soon as SP bring out the 15mm bolt-thru version, I’ll buying one to build another wheel as I’ve only got the QR version so far.
    Only properly ridden with it on-road so far. But at speed (ie 40mph descent on unlit back roads) it produces ample light, probably more than my Trout’d Hope Vison 2s.

jezandu
    Free Member

I use a exposure maxx D which plenty enough light and its 10 hour mid setting mode will see you through the night doing solo. Would recommend a exposure joystick on your helmet for the twisty singletrack.

Paulio
    Free Member

Yep, Joystick and single cell piggyback battery on the helmet gets all the way through the night.

Anyone use a Hope Vision R4 on the bars?

I used to use AY UPs.
    I use Exposure Six Pack and Diablo plus three cell piggy back now.

epicyclo

I use AyUps. Great system.

But if I was starting now I’d get Exposure simply because they support our racing (and also a great system).

grtdkad

Troute Liberator here too. . . just waiting for the 20% brighter version to be returned after Chris’ upgrade
    2400 lumens!!!!

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Not race 24solo but done pleny of 12s been using a MaxxD + Joystick up till now.

Just got a REVO with Dyno, not raced it yet but plenty bright enough when riding trail centre and local trails at night when paired with a Joystick. I THINK I might upgrade to a brighter head light for racing.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Troute Liberator here too. . . just waiting for the 20% brighter version to be returned after Chris’ upgrade
    2400 lumens!!!!

Liberator user here too. What’s this about an upgrade, tell me more please.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Exposure is the way to go just to get rid of the battery packs and faff.

Diablo plus piggy back on medium should last the night and a six pack on medium should last the night, plenty of light for solo pace too.

When I did a 24 solo, I had the benefit of being crewed by Rob Lee and had full access to his kitty of lights. I was blowing through Six Packs and Diablos on full power – nice luxury but getting on for a couple of grands worth of lights! 😯

Did the WC2C on Exposure lights, Six Packs and Diablos with Piggy Backs, fitted and didn’t touch them except to turn them off in the morning (and on again the following evening when a 36 hr finish was on the cards :oops:)

ninonics
    Free Member

Exposure here too, the faf free combo of maxxD on bars and Diablo on the helmet works well for me. They so reliable and our type of racing is always so well supported by the guys! Never had to use them though….lights have always worked flawlessly. The little remote handlebar switch was a great help as now I don’t just sit on medium but flick between all settings depending on wether I am going up or down.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Exposure, they make the most sense for racing! Sixx pack on the bars and joystick on the helmet.

Aidy
    Free Member

It’s interesting that with almost every other lights topic people always end up going on that Exposure are just overpriced torches, and that money’s better spent elsewhere.

Here, almost universally, there’s advocation for Exposure.

Northwind

Most decent lights these days should be up for it tbh… My MJ-872s make more than enough light to ride by on the mid setting, and last for over 10 hours at that on the stock (cheapo) battery. The lumen wars have got ridiculous but the flipside is that most lights have decent capacity batteries, so all they need is useful lower power modes.

Aidy- the expensive torches comments are mostly aimed at Joysticks, and this is another of those times when you’d be better off with a torch 🙂 But exposure’s race backup is ace.

GaryLake
    Free Member

It’s interesting that with almost every other lights topic people always end up going on that Exposure are just overpriced torches, and that money’s better spent elsewhere.

Here, almost universally, there’s advocation for Exposure.

I think that’s the difference between once a week night riding in the woods vs racing regularly or expedition riding.

For a bit of balance, I think the Light & Motion Seca 1400 is technically a better light that the Six Pack. It has less power but the quality and shape of the optics means there’s better light on the trail. If you’re happy to have a cable going into your hydration pack, the head unit lighter than a Diablo and much brighter (for very fast technical riding the Seca on your head is superb). Being able to stash the battery (the heavy bit) on the frame is always good too.

But cables on lights are a faff and pain when racing.

huw
    Free Member

Exposure here. Always have, hopefully always will. MaxxDs on the bars, Joystick or Diablo on my head. I wouldn’t use anything else. They’re quality lights but the fact that the battery is contained in the same unit as the light is a huge bonus. No annoying cables and separate battery packs and they can be swapped on and off the bike/helmet in seconds.

Aidy
    Free Member

Aidy- the expensive torches comments are mostly aimed at Joysticks, and this is another of those times when you’d be better off with a torch But exposure’s race backup is ace.

Well, I wasn’t thinking of your comments specifically 🙂

I don’t really disagree – I think in future I’m going to be going with a Maxx-D and an XML torch (I’ve never run a Joystick as a helmet light, although I do own one – different, boring, story). Unless a Revo works out, in which case, one of those and an XML torch.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Exposure lights just make sense for racing, but for general trail riding there are better value lights.

crazy-legs

Exposure lights just make sense for racing, but for general trail riding there are better value lights.

Exposure just for the same charger and clamp across the range. Diablo on the helmet plus whatever bar mounted one your budget will stretch to.

Not that I do any 24hr racing these days but Exposure is pretty much my brand of choice now: they’re reliable, decent value, excellent customer service and probably more importantly, I’ve already got Exposures so keeping one system makes sense. Also, there’s a good range of spares and accessories and Exposure are usually at all the big events with a massive charging tent and lots of spares!

grtdkad

Liberator user here too. What’s this about an upgrade, tell me more please

Gary – suggest you ping an email across to Chris. For a modest fee Troutie is updating with the latest LEDs.

2400 Lumens – moth incinerators!

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Exposure.

wbss
    Free Member

I’ve used hope vision 4 on low. plenty of light.

that said my vision 4 has not been the same since last mayhem..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks grtdkad ill do that in a few weeks as I generally only night ride in winter.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘24 hour soloists – what lights do you use?’ is closed to new replies.