Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 24 Hour Solo – with minimal training time
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I'm hoping to do 24 hour solo this year at MM (if I get a place, of course). However, I am currently pretty XC unfit and haven't done anymore than 15 miles for months. It's not from being lazy, I work a huge amount of hours, travel all over the country and live between two homes, which doesn't lead much time to train.

I normally try and get 4-5 hours in Saturday for XC and then a few hours Sunday for DH (pushing to the top). However, in the week I'm lucky if I can get out at all on the bike, and then it's normally only for an hour or so.

So, what's the minimum amount of mileage/hours on the bike I'm gonna be able to get away with til June? I obviously don't have any plans for number of laps/placing, I'll just be grateful if I can keep going with only a respectable number of stops!

Any advice must appreciated 🙂

darrenm
    Free Member

There is a article in this months mag with a 3 month plan. I'm in a similar situation, currently recovering from a ankle op, but have entered twentyfour12 in July.
    Maybe try and fit in a couple of smaller enduro events before.

rockitman

Like you Bunny Girl I am doing MM solo. I also have a busy life and have a few solutions:

1. Running – Now regularly (at least once a week) running 10km's. Doing it in about an hour and my fitness is increasing dramatically. Should be OK to go out running on your own once the clocks go forward.

2. Turbo Trainer – Every bit of time riding helps

3. Join a club – I ride with the Manchester Mountainbikers – min 3/4 rides to choose from every week. This week I'm on the Caersws Uplift tomorrow then a 5 hour XC round Staylebridge on Sunday.

4. Try and get some really long rides in in May – 100km's + if possible

lookmanohands
    Free Member

having done a few of these in the past, i've found that offroad mileage doesnt help that much. your best bet is to get the mileage in on the road, dont get too concerned with time-what you need is distance in your legs, i'm talking 100+ miles at a time. long steady rides 😀

vinnyeh

get a road bike, or take a bike with you on your travels and use it. Stick slicks on the mtb if necessary. Like lookmanohands says, it'll be steady road mileage that counts- but even an hour or so each evening will help.
    If you're really pressed for time, consider giving up or cutting down on mountainbiking, and replacing it with time on the road, especially if travel time to your riding spots cuts into your riding time.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Little and often is the key I found, rides that is, not necessarily "training". Sounds like you're doing the best you can, and if you keep it up you'll be just fine. I did make an effort to get 3-4 >50mile MTB rides in in the preceding months. I also got used to eating regularly when on the bike.

You'll need a damn stubborn head and the determination that, when it all stops being any fun for a moment at 16hrs (which it will at some point) and you feel like you can't possibly carry on and possibly you feel a bit sick too, that you're just going to keep moving, slow down and eat your way out of it.

Someone in the pits to put you back on the bike and just make you keep going round, no matter how hard you protest, is a very good thing, they must be prepared to be be sworn at in the early hours of the morning and can expect to be thanked profusely during sunrise and at the finish line!

I absolutely disagree with the advice that off road mileage doesn't help you that mush, you'll be spending a long time in a mtb riding position, with your body taking a battering from the terrain, you'll need to get used to that. Sure, get the hrs in on the road to to mix it up, but long steady rides can be done on a geared mtb too – that's what gears are for.

FWIW I entered my first ever 24 solo last year (SITS) following that advice that was passed to me by several experienced and successful endurance racers – and I won!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Oh, and I didn't run, or swim, or spin, or do any other form of (non-scientific) "cross training". Why would you if you feel you're struggling to get enough hrs in on the bike? It's not a triathlon, it's a bike race!

I like riding my bike, a lot, so to prepare for a long ride, I rode my bike, and I loved doing it!

trail_rat
    Free Member

everything rob says is the truth !

i did no mega mega long rides – longest being 90kms (bealach na ba) in november for the strathpuffer !

just get out on your bike often – i was riding every day nearly – but only 20-40k a day.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

From a rather less enthusiastic / racy perspective than some of the above all I did was concentrate on doing as many miles as I could and on at least some of those miles done at a high pace – then at the event knock the pace down to a sustainable level – sunday pootle pace minus a bit. That got me round the two 24 hrs I have done. all for nearly a mid pack finish 🙂

rockitman

Completely agree with Rob (you'd be stupid to disagree with someone who has won one of these things!) however, I recommended running as it's easy to fit in.

I live in a flat so getting the bike dirty means I have to hose it down etc which is a pain in th ass of a night and I work a lot of hours and don't own a road bike. If I get home at 7 I can be running be 7:10. If I do a 10k I'll be back and stretched out by 8:15, showered and on the couch/cooking for half 8.

I know it's not ideal but it's better than doing nothing!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Cheers so much for the input all 🙂

I think I'll just keep plodding along trying to get in as many miles as possible then (whilst hoping that work doesn't get any busier than it already is). I miss the long group rides I was doing last year, so hopefully I'll be able to tag along on some again once I am used to the higher mileage. TJ – if that leads to a mid pack finish for me I'll be well happy 🙂

Currently I have a weekday urban loop of 10 miles which is 90% off road (on pavement/riverpaths/hidden singletrack/across parks etc…I'll up the mileage on that, possibly by adding more road. I'm not a big fan of playing with traffic though, drivers are too demented. Lucky enough I live in Malvern most of the time so have access to steep off-road terrain from my door…but it doesn't make it easy to get gentle mileage in. Every ride is like interval training here.

I also run a bit anyway as it's a sure fire way to get in some CV when all I have is 30 mins before work in the morning. I'm not built to be a runner though and tend to get injured easily when running so don't have any plans to increase the small quantity I already do.

I've thought about a turbo, well, rollers actually – but logistically I haven't the room. I live in the smallest place in the world.

darrenm – I'll be getting the mag then!

robdeanhove – good point about the support…I already have a pit-guy with a big beating stick lined up to get me back on the bike. I've only ever done one of these thingies before, and that was a 12 hr at Bristol. I could've really done with support when I bonked BIGTIME on my second from last lap! Good work on winning SITS btw 🙂

vinnyeh – it's not easy for me to take the bike on my travels as I tend to work in dodgy areas or derelict buildings/sites and having a bike in the back of the van is just asking to have it stolen. 🙁

epicyclo

If you're reasonably fit, you can do it, so stop worrying about that part.

Training serves to improve your final place.

If you aren't worried about placing, ride "slow" and don't stop, but keep eating and drinking. That will guarantee you will do more laps than some younger, fitter, faster riders. It's about mental attitude, and once you have one 24hr successfully under your belt you'll know where you can improve for next time.

(What I mean by slow is avoid any excesses of enthusiasm on hills and be careful in places where you can crash – there's 24 hours to get through)

A properly serviced bike is important too. It amazes me how many people have unnecessary mechanicals during a 24 hour – it's almost a whole season's racing in one hit. A mech problem can cost you an hour, so it's worth avoiding.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘24 Hour Solo – with minimal training time’ is closed to new replies.