Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 24 hour race
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Quite fancy doing one of these this year thinking of the relentless 24.
    Have done a 10 hour race but nothing longer.
    What type of training do people do before?
    Nutrition during event?
    How long a stint do you go out for and what rest stops over the 24 hours?
    Any tips appreciated.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’re talking about solo. In terms of fuel, I’ve got through 24hr solo events mainly on this stuff:

http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/product-winter-training-formula-.html

I didn’t have helpers (cue violin) so had a couple of 5ltr water containers, and quantities of powder ready. Then every 2 laps, I refilled my 2ltr Camelback reservoir with powder/water. This probably takes out 5 minutes of your time every 2 laps. This drink formula gives you the required amount of carbs, protein and fructose to keep you going all day. I’m able to drink this throughout 24hrs without any side effects.

You’ll definitely need other food though – packs of fig rolls are always good. You’ll crave real savoury food, so make some nice ham sandwiches. Maybe some pasta. Avoid any sauces that might be a bit spicy – even brown sauce – you’ll end up with your throat stinging.

Don’t waste money on crap like sports gels, or anything sugary as you’ll be on your arse a hour later (sugar rush).

You can’t easily train specifically for 24hour events – I’d say the training would be the same whether it’s 10 hours or 24 hours, but you could practise night riding if you’ve not done much lately. Best preparation is getting really used to a comfy setup (clothes, bike, shoes, gloves, saddle) and making sure you don’t change anything before the event.

The hardest part (obviously) is trying not to stop. By that I mean don’t sit down for too long, especially tucking into a nice dinner. You’ll become quite delirious and your body will easily fool your brain into sitting down for 1/2 an hour and resting. You’ve only got to do this a few times and you’ll be down 2 laps. Try and prepare everything you need and have it laid out on the day, i.e. spare shorts, gloves, tops etc..

Lights used to be a big challenge, but I guess not any more now that you can easily get something compact that gives out 500 lumens for 10 hours, so I’ll assume you’ve got that covered. If you’ve not got lights, invest in something like Lupine/Exposure. Don’t get cheap Chinese crap off eBay.

Go for it – good luck. Everything else in life will seem easier in comparison – you’ll just have to keep telling yourself that, especially at 3 in the morning when it starts to rain, and you mind starts playing games !

theotherjonv

I’ve not done a 24, only a 12 but because of the way I am I had to plan and prepare pretty meticulously, including being a club mate of the Euro 24 hour champ who gave me a few bits of advice, so I am a bit of an ‘expert by proxy’ even if I haven’t done many.

1. don’t bother with a camelbak, laps should be about an hour, carry a bottle and replace every lap. Every bit of weight saved is worth it. It only takes 10s max to pick up a bottle and a bit more food and compared to carrying all the weight on my back for that time, no ta.

2. Work out what intake you need and stick to it. Also easier with bottles, to make sure you’re getting through enough fluid because you have to do a bottle a lap or whatever is appropriate. Same with food, I used bars and gels and proper food and wine gums. All gels would have been awful, I needed something a bit more hefty every third lap so tortilla wraps with peanut butter in worked for me. And a sausage roll after 6, and some porridge after 8, and……

3. Don’t stop. If your pace is say an hour a lap including stopping for picking up food and bottles, if you have a 15 minute stop you need to do 3 x 55 min laps to make that back, which is digging deeper than you want to. Even riding a bit slower to enable you to refuel enough on the fire roads is preferable, and gives you less chance of saying **** it and stopping completely. And at the sharp end, those that keep going all night / right to the end climb the leaderboard fast. I reckoned each extra lap was worth about 5-10 places in a field of 100 or so in my category, so while others finished early or stopped for food, I was going up the board without having to go any faster to do it.

4. Know your pace and stick to it. Get a hrm for training, work out your threshold and ride under it. If you can then keep the engine fuelled, you can go on for ever like that. Going harder (and you will have to on some sections / hills) eats your muscle reserves and you can’t replenish them so easily. Don’t waste them going hard on fire roads. This is mostly true at all levels, it’s just the fast boys have much higher power at threshold levels so look like they’re going hard all the time!!

5. Do some long rides in prep, but not so much for preparing the engine – if you get the above right that’ll take care of itself. It for the other parts. I agree about not changing stuff in the run up to the event, but before reaching the run up make sure your kit is what you need. I had used a particular type of saddle for years with no problems, for typical 4-6 hour rides. Once I started riding it for that length of time without getting off for chatting and the like, I found it was giving me severe cock ache. It meant with 6 weeks to go I had to audition several different new types and thankfully found one pretty quickly. I also was getting neck ache from having to lift my head to see past the peak of my helmet, so that went (for the race) and I also put some spacers under the stem to give a more relaxed position. Stuff like that, you don’t want to find out 7 hours in.

daveagiles
    Free Member

As above, but also make sure everything is perfect:

In that there is nothing that you will doubt or have to stop for while you are going around. You don’t want to be fiddling with lighting brackets that are at the wrong angle or gears that are slightly out. These little things will wake over your mind and will be all that you can think of.

jordie
    Free Member

R24 is not on this year its Wembo instead £170 to enter. If its your first I would say just ride your bike if you want to stop have a bite to eat then start again just finishing will be good.

backinireland
    Free Member

170 ouch
    Could be an expensive weekend including ferry from Ireland

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘24 hour race’ is closed to new replies.