Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 24" downhill tyres
  • HairyWolfhound
    Free Member

My son’s got a Norco B line with worn out Maxxis Swamp Things on it, I’m trying to get him some new tyres that will roll easily as he sometimes takes it out doing XC and give good grip in most conditions, he’d like to compete in the kids mini downhill at Innerleithen and I’d like to give him the best shot at it.
    I was looking at the Maxxis High Rollers and the Halo Choir Boys, the High Rollers come in different grades by the looks, does it make much difference?
    Any help appreciated, Thanks, Neil.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve used 24″ high Rollers in the past (still a pair of 2.7s hung in the workshop I think) and they work well. The compound will make quite a difference to how quickly they roll and how well they grip. The softer compounds will possibly be overkill for use on the rear but will allow massive libertys to be taken when used on the front.

He should find the dread pattern/design fater rolling than his current Swampthings.

I’ve always found 24″ Halos to be stupidly heavy, they may have changed though, its been a while.

seanoc
    Free Member

I used to use Maxxis Highroller on my old bighit. The 60a is a harder compound and doesn’t wear as fast as the 42a (super tacky); grip on the back isn’t all that noticeable between the two especially on a 24″.

Whoa; just noticed the price on CRC of a 24″; stay away from a 2.7…seriously.

jedi

arrow do 2.5 and 3.0 tyres too

br
    Free Member

My son also has had a B-Line for a few years now and tbh I took the Swampthings off after a couple of weeks as they were so heavy.

He’s been running 24″ Racing Ralph 2.4’s ever since (which incidentally weighed the same as the original inner tubes…), and as he’s so light and only interesting in going down he’s had no real problems – including a winter/wet uplift at Innerleithen.

You could also try SB8’s, which he has on his jump bike.

accu
    Free Member

since 2005 I´m running a 24″ rear wheel on my (meanwhile old) freerider..
    really liked the swampthings for the muddy rides , and the 2.7 highroller 60 for dry trails with roots and rocks..
    for some time I was running a schwalbe big betty in 24″..was very good,rolls easily and has enough grip..as long as it is not too muddy..
    don`t know if these are still available

HairyWolfhound
    Free Member

Thank you for all the replies.

Bet he’d like a set of 2.7 High Rollers on it, they’d be huge!
    The Racing Ralphs sounded fine but I couldn’t find anyone online selling them, same goes for the super tacky 2.5 High Rollers.
    b r where do you get yours from? Order them locally?
    In the process of puting a softer spring in the Rockshox Tora 318 fork, (could only find a yellow one, not the super soft one unfortunately) we got last year and a 225lb spring on the fox vanilla rear shock instead of a 450lb.

RustyMac

how about these?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCFALSSF/schwalbe-fat-albert-snakeskin-folding-tyre

i have never used schwalbe tyres but they seem a good price and tread pattern looks grippy

HairyWolfhound
    Free Member

Yeah Rusty they look good and price is low ta.

br
    Free Member

Bought in Germany a few years ago, sorry…

We originally had the softest springs front/back put in when we bought the bike, and since then I’ve put an air fork on it.

Plus swapped most other things trying to reduce weight.

It started at 17kg (nearly 38lbs)! Now less than 13kg.

ianv
    Free Member

The only Maxxis I found were 2.5 duel ply High rollers or swamp things on CRC. They would be pretty dam heavy for a kid.

I have some halo choir boy lights 2.35 on my sons bike again from CRC, seem light and pretty good. MaxxDaddys or DMR Motos are OK when the weather gets better.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

DMR moto diggers seem to work well in lots of conditions (apart from proper mud)and aren’t very heavy.

HairyWolfhound
    Free Member

Brilliant, thank you, I’ll check out the DMR Moto Diggers and the Choir Boy Lites too.

dropoff

Specialized roller Pro’s used to work well on the Big Hit, very light.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘24" downhill tyres’ is closed to new replies.